Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 04:45 PM

17,162 posts, read 12,011,480 times

Advertisements

I would have liked to have driven the 2.5 Mazda3 with the manual. Unfortunately even though they were technically released at the time there were none around to test drive/buy. Did drive the auto(boring) and the 2.0 manual(gutless). Definitely a nice chassis though the interior was more cramped for my tall self. Plus there was a significant price bump over what I paid for the Kia. Which yes the higher residual value helps mitigate. But just to a certain degree. When you're sub $20k there's not as much "room" for values to fall so a $5k+ premium isn't just offset by that. Losing 40% of a $70k Porsche isn't the same as losing 40% of $18k.

Last edited by notnamed; 10-17-2016 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 05:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,976,599 times
I do without a doubt feel like the GTI has the styling and performance I'd like but I've kind of written off any vehicles that require premium gas. The forte 5 sx was on my list for a time. I need to go for a test drive in that one. If I went the mazda route I would definitely have to get the 2.5 engine, though I agree with @notnamed, the last time I got into a mazda (granted it was the previous generation 3) it felt somewhat cramped (especially in the back seat).

Old 10-17-2016, 06:15 PM

17,162 posts, read 12,011,480 times
The base Golf is a strong contender too. A basic stage 1 tune and it's faster than its much more expensive GTI big brother. Not sure where the market is on those now. But I was shopping during 'dieselgate' and you could get a 2 door for $16,700 brand new.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The base Golf is a strong contender too. A basic stage 1 tune and it's faster than its much more expensive GTI big brother. Not sure where the market is on those now. But I was shopping during 'dieselgate' and you could get a 2 door for $16,700 brand new.
Yea, the tune is definitely tempting. I would have to go for a 4 door though... had a two door in the past and being in the position I might need to have a carseat in the back at times for my son the extra two doors would be needed.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,364,015 times
Toyota Corolla and Chevy Cruze have hatchback options starting in 2017 as well. The Corolla hatchback was available in 2016 in the USA as a Scion IM.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Toyota Corolla and Chevy Cruze have hatchback options starting in 2017 as well. The Corolla hatchback was available in 2016 in the USA as a Scion IM.
The cruze hatch looks really cool I will admit. I like the looks of toyotas/scions 'im', but the power is so paltry on the 'im', not that I need a huge bump of power but I would prefer to have something with some pickup when I need it.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,087,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
To me the VW GTI since no other one (of the ones considered) comes close to handling and interior looks.
You're talking hot hatch vs. regular family hatchback. OP may not need the power and handling at the price premium.

I'd get the new Golf, OP. Buying a car is as much emotional as it is practical (IMO, anyhow) and you've already admitted having a soft spot for the Golf, so...

Old 10-18-2016, 12:26 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,553,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
With the rise of smaller hatchbacks in the market, as one who's going to be looking for a new(ish) car in the future, what direction would you go for a daily driver that occasionally might get used for road trips (kids car seat to go in the back)? The new 2017 Mazda3 looks good but I can't stand the smaller wheels on the mazda as it looks like the body is too long. As much as I don't favor Vw reliability, having previously owned a golf tdi, I have a soft spot for the new golf wolfsburg. I feel like the Soul and Elantra GT have the value card nailed. I'd be interested in others experiences/thoughts.
You can't really go wrong deciding between the Civic, Mazda3, VW Golf - forget the Koreans. Go drive them and then deal with the deluge of salesmen calling you. I have heard (unverified) that you can get really, really good deals now on the new Gulf owing to VW's emissions problems.

Go find out for yourself then practice patience negotiating.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You can't really go wrong deciding between the Civic, Mazda3, VW Golf - forget the Koreans. Go drive them and then deal with the deluge of salesmen calling you. I have heard (unverified) that you can get really, really good deals now on the new Gulf owing to VW's emissions problems.

Go find out for yourself then practice patience negotiating.
I suppose the emissions scandal is in my favor lol!

Old 10-18-2016, 12:52 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,728,929 times
2017 Mazda 3 2.5L Manual Test – Review – Car and Driver

Main complains were acceleration and braking. This car isn't mostly about straight line performance, it's the curves where this car shines and that is where the joy of driving comes into the picture anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive