Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:05 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
SSB is just part of a specific channel instead of the entire channel so to speak. Any given CB channel is made up of 2 parts, the upper sideband and the lower. On SSB you use only one of the two parts. With SSB you can usually talk further and it's supposed to be a little more efficient than regular AM CB. Because in SSB mode all the power goes into one side band, and not wasted on the entire side band.

Dwatted Wabbit, in order to use the SSB the other party has to also have a SSB radio. Otherwise they wont be able to hear you when you're on SSB.
That's OK, I know of some UFOs that listen in on SSB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 PM

64 posts, read 129,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Thanks, Drover! Glad to see you're thinking... I'm gonna play "devil's advocate" for a moment because I'm not very much like most of the truckers portrayed on TV (and I'm not even as good looking as Jerry Reed...) For the most part, my opinion about "bear reports" is that I'm not going to aid and abet some "Super Trucker" that wants to fly at ground level on the open highway. I set my cruise control (if weather/traffic conditions permit) at 2 mph over the speed limit. The cops won't even look at me because there are SO many people driving WELL over the speed limit. The other nice thing about doing that is I rarely have to brake because most traffic just goes on past. (that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to go a little faster (65 mph is fine) or that I agree with split speed limits (I don't) But I drive that way because my driving skills are always on display. AND the name of the retailer I deliver to is in LARGE letters on the trailer.
I do the same thing . When in construction I used to tell the truckers what lane was opened then I realised that they were using that to get into the lane that was closed. Leaving me to sit there like a dummy . No more

Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
chill, he was just expressing HIS opinion. There is nothing wrong with that.
Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed bleaah

Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Lol I just did come back from a 950 mile round trip in which I had my radio with me.

Radio Rambo....yeah I heard a few use that term a few times on the air in response to someone who was acting all bad and wanted to fight.

Base stations...yeah I was starting to wonder if someone who was living next an interstate would happen to have one set up just to start up an argument over the air, since no one in their truck with a CB really knows where the other party is transmitting from.

But the trusty radio did come in handy a few times when a few miles up ahead of me sat a cop with a speed trap.

One issue with CB is if more than one person in close range tries to transmit you may get stepped on. At least I believe that was what has happening....someone would be talking and then you'd hear this hum come over the air waves.

With that said, give me something that will out perform the average Cobra or Uniden found at Pilot/Flying J's/Petro.
You can buy one of those little radios, I have a uniden, bring it to a cb shop have it peaked and tuned and the antennaes matched and it will sound like a "big radio" for about 40 bucks

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I have a Radio Shack Realistic CB in my truck, it's just a small one. My talk button on the mic is kinda messed up and I looked at some newer Cobra mics at the truck stop the other day and the pin configuration is not the same. Haven't been to RS yet but I hope I can find the same mic somewhere,(I can change channels right on the mic I have). I have a cheap 12" magnet mount antenna on my roof. I can hear drivers up to 3-4 miles away, but most of my radio checks go unanswered. I probably need a 3 or 4' fiberglass antenna.
Avert buying at a truck stop unless you really have to. They often rip you off because in reality truck stop CB gear is for truckers when their radio blows up on them half way across the country and they need a replacement in a pinch. Instead hit up Sparkys CB shack, you can google him and find his online business, he'll do you good.

Also get rid of that cheap 12 " mag mount. All it's going to do is seriously restrict your signal going out and possibly even damage your radio. You need no less than a 3 foot antenna (if you're going mag mount) and then you have to tune the antenna to the car you're using it on using an SWR meter. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

I recommend for you a Wilson Lil Wil antenna...you can get them at Sparkys for under $30. Or if you don't mind a 5 foot antenna then a Wilson 1000 is even better and you'll hear and talk further too. The SWR meter you can get at Rat Shack for $50. If you really want to get out then ditch the Rat Shack radio you have and get you a Uniden 68 XL....there's a $30 rebate on them until the end of this year....which means you're getting an $80 radio for $50.

Here's the 68XL...
http://www.uniden.com/images/images200/PC68XL.jpg (broken link)

And more info....http://www.uniden.com/products/produ...roduct=PC68XL#

And if you get the 68 XL new from Sparkys he'll peak and tune it for you for free. Plus you still get the $30 rebate. So you're getting a kick butt radio brand new for $50. Can't beat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludia View Post
You can buy one of those little radios, I have a uniden, bring it to a cb shop have it peaked and tuned and the antennaes matched and it will sound like a "big radio" for about 40 bucks
That's provided you can find a good CB shop that knows what their doing.

The "truck stop" CB shops know most truckers know nothing about the true workings of a CB radio and they use that ignorance to sell them lies....telling them they can make their radios produce 70 watts of crystal clear audio for only $50...a pure scam the truckers often fall for, not to mention the CB shops in truck stops know the truckers most likely won't be back anytime soon for a refund/gripe and complain.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
There are good deals to be had at truck stops; just watch their sale flyers. Most of the big chains are pretty reasonable for CB's. Yeah, the CB shops at truckstops (especially the "freelancers who work out of some van or a nearby motel) vary WIDELY in price and service. I'm fortunate to have a pretty decent shop (Movin' ON Electronics) on I-75, Exit 99 in OH fairly nearby.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM

312 posts, read 860,889 times
i listen to 27.xxx channels on my handheld scanner

Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM

18 posts, read 58,155 times
Default Will CB come back?

A good radio man is near impossible to find, most of us retired out of CB radios due to slow sales, or died. I still sell commercial radios Vertex Standard, and such, but I think CB might soon make a come back. With people being laid off, families seeing drastically reduced incomes, the whole everyone needs a cell phone thing will soon end. Already cell phone companies are reporting flat line sales and many are seeing huge drops in sales volumes. Frankly I hope this continues. The Monopoly needs to be broken up a little. Where I live in Northern Michigan I have considered selling CB and Ham radios once again. I will wait and see if there is a demand, then decide, but already people who know my radio experience have came to me saying they dug that old radio out of the basement and want it working again. I still monitor the CB channels and have seen a small number of people who are new and some of the old timers return after ending the cell phone contracts. Now with the DEPT of Home Land security announcing it intends to shut down cell phone systems as a regular response to terror threats to what they claim is to stop a terrorist from using the cell phone to communicate or activate explosives ECT. We now will possibly see the cell phone as a potential problem is all hell breaks loose. What good is a dead cell phone if they shut the system down?

Frankly I will welcome new blood to CB, and Amateur Radio.

Quote:
Avert buying at a truck stop unless you really have to. They often rip you off because in reality truck stop CB gear is for truckers when their radio blows up on them half way across the country and they need a replacement in a pinch. Instead hit up Sparkys CB shack, you can google him and find his online business, he'll do you good.

Also get rid of that cheap 12 " mag mount. All it's going to do is seriously restrict your signal going out and possibly even damage your radio. You need no less than a 3 foot antenna (if you're going mag mount) and then you have to tune the antenna to the car you're using it on using an SWR meter. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

I recommend for you a Wilson Lil Wil antenna...you can get them at Sparkys for under $30. Or if you don't mind a 5 foot antenna then a Wilson 1000 is even better and you'll hear and talk further too. The SWR meter you can get at Rat Shack for $50. If you really want to get out then ditch the Rat Shack radio you have and get you a Uniden 68 XL....there's a $30 rebate on them until the end of this year....which means you're getting an $80 radio for $50.

Here's the 68XL...

And more info....Uniden | A World Without Wires - PC68XL

And if you get the 68 XL new from Sparkys he'll peak and tune it for you for free. Plus you still get the $30 rebate. So you're getting a kick butt radio brand new for $50. Can't beat that.

That's provided you can find a good CB shop that knows what their doing.

The "truck stop" CB shops know most truckers know nothing about the true workings of a CB radio and they use that ignorance to sell them lies....telling them they can make their radios produce 70 watts of crystal clear audio for only $50...a pure scam the truckers often fall for, not to mention the CB shops in truck stops know the truckers most likely won't be back anytime soon for a refund/gripe and complain.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 19,981 times
We gottem on all the trucks and tractors. Also all my buddies have them.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
I'm starting to notice more CB antennas on 4-wheeled vehicles nowadays. Don't know if they are off-duty truckers, vacationers or whether the C B hobby is taking off again. Frankly, I hope it does and civility returns to the airwaves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive