Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:07 AM

400 posts, read 572,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Is there something I am missing?

Pro: Longer term allows a lower payment, making it fit easier into a monthly budget.

Con: You pay more interest over the life of the loan with a longer term.

I think you summed it up pretty well, with the exception of one Con. You do risk being upside down on your loan when you extend the term out. It's not an issue unless you sell/wreck the car and have to make up the difference.

One thing people never understand on these 0% loans is that there is no such thing as free money. You can very often receive a lower purchase price by not taking the 0% option. You just have to run the numbers to see which deal is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
I think you summed it up pretty well, with the exception of one Con. You do risk being upside down on your loan when you extend the term out. It's not an issue unless you sell/wreck the car and have to make up the difference.

Isn't that what gap insurance is for?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:33 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes, but then the effective interest rate is higher.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 AM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Few vehicles are going to be covered under warranty for 7 years.

So.. You finance it out to 6 or 7 years and at 75k (or 101k) the transmission falls out.. You're not only paying for a new transmission but you're still paying off the vehicle.

There is no way I would ever chance that I was going to be making payments on a vehicle that was sitting in my driveway not running.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:20 AM

8,107 posts, read 3,661,082 times
I'm always amazed by the upside down discussions. You pay the cost of the vehicle + interest. The only difference when paid over longer period will be the amount of interest. Yes, you can be "upside down" but this is just because you are paying it off at a slower rate than the depreciation, that's all.

P.S. I personally, don't like to pay any interest.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:51 AM

400 posts, read 572,790 times
The upside down discussions exist because life doesn't always work out the way you planned. I had a co-worker who ended up selling her car mid-loan because of personal issues. She had the pleasure of rolling that upside down amount into her next car loan. Yes, she would have paid that amount anyway at some point and effectively just rolled it forward into her new loan. But when you are in a financially distressed scenario, being upside down limits the options you have to move forward.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:18 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,246,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's what the down payment is for... to keep you from ever being upside down.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:37 AM

21,821 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Longest term with the best interest rate. There's much better places for me to put money than a depreciating asset as long as there's someone willing to give me 0% loans. The longest they'd give me was a five-year loan at which point the interest rate jumped up to about 4.9%. I'm self-employed so that closes off a lot of the more attractive financing options. None of the normal online sources one goes were even interested which left my local credit union which didn't have the greatest rates. So I went with a five year loan at 0% instead of $1,500 cash on the hood.

The other advantage is people can stretch into more car than they could otherwise afford which is generally a terrible idea. I'm just interested in buying what I'm interested in at the best price. I'd be comfortable with payments that are twice what I pay, three times would be a stretch without impacting savings rate.

Upside down doesn't bother me. I considered trading in or selling on my own when I'd had the car a year and a half and probably was a bit upside down, especially trading in. The thought was really contingent on a job that I ended up not getting though where my commute would have been ten miles round-trip instead of the 25,000/yr I now drive for work. Say I was $1,800 upside down. I'd rather be $1,800 upside down and have spent $100 less per month on payments over 18 months. Either way, you eat shirt holding a new car for a year and a half. Being upside down or not is really irrelevant to that.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
That's what the down payment is for... to keep you from ever being upside down.
But then again, you could just keep the down payment money in the bank. And utilize it if necessary in an "upside down" situation.

Downpayment reduces risk to the lender, not to the borrower.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
The upside down discussions exist because life doesn't always work out the way you planned. I had a co-worker who ended up selling her car mid-loan because of personal issues. She had the pleasure of rolling that upside down amount into her next car loan. Yes, she would have paid that amount anyway at some point and effectively just rolled it forward into her new loan. But when you are in a financially distressed scenario, being upside down limits the options you have to move forward.

Yes unexpected stuff happens but if she were paying off that loan faster, she would have spent more money up to the unexpected event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive