Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Up here in Quebec we have rust protection places in abundance,i find the annual $100 process well worth it as my 10 year old car doesnt have a spot of rust anywhere.
One of the places i use and their process=
https://www.krown.com/process/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Donate it for the tax deduction.
If the inspection isn't favorable this is probably your bet.

You get the deduction (hold off donating it until next year if that would be better for you)

Your responsibility is over (many if not most charities will arrange for pick up by a towing company and the vehicles go directly to auction).

And you can choose a charity that involves something your parents would have supported.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Up here in Quebec we have rust protection places in abundance,i find the annual $100 process well worth it as my 10 year old car doesnt have a spot of rust anywhere.
One of the places i use and their process=
https://www.krown.com/process/
Looks like they get the stuff into every nook and cranny (including inside the doors). Does anyone know what they use in their rust inhibitor spray? WD-40 works fairly well for protection from rust.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Not sure what the formulation is but it sure does work, i'm surprised there arent more rust protection outlets in the USA.=
https://www.krown.com/products/the-k...krown-product/

Old 10-30-2016, 08:19 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
There is no "one time" rust prevention. It is an annual treatment.

Most don't know about annual oil undercoating or annual Fluid Film (lanolin based). Many dealers don't do this as it is messy AND they prefer the cars to rust so that customers will get a new one.
Should never be compared to "undercoating" which is a sound deadening product - not rust prevention.

The old time "rust proofing" such as Rusty Jones and Zeibart did not work. So the myth arises that all rust prevention is a fallacy. Not true.

Some here will state that "new cars don't rust". That new cars have "special paint" or "special steel". All hogwash.

Those that live in dry climates such as southern Arizona don't have to worry much about rust as there is no moisture in the air (or very little).
Florida cars do rust if one resides near the ocean as there is salt in the air.

Rust prevention is an annual treatment.
I can't speak for american cars but my wife's 2000 saab 9.5 has spent it's entire life in Maine and has almost no rust at all on the underside, and what little there is, is only a thin surface rust.

As for special steel, it is not "Hogwash", You'll notice that most new bridges being built are not painted because the new steel formulations allow a light protective coat of surface rust to form, this protects the steel far better than a coat of paint ever did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

I do agree with using Fluid Film yearly on my Nissan frontier

bill

Old 10-30-2016, 10:33 AM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
If the inspection isn't favorable this is probably your bet.

You get the deduction (hold off donating it until next year if that would be better for you)

Your responsibility is over (many if not most charities will arrange for pick up by a towing company and the vehicles go directly to auction).

And you can choose a charity that involves something your parents would have supported.
Keep in mind that your deduction is limited to what the vehicle sells for at auction. The old days of making up a number are gone. IF the car sells at auction for $150, that's your deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive