Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 12:04 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,388,522 times

Advertisements

Put it on Craigslist for $500. You will sell it in a matter of days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 01:42 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,714,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Hey!

I'm in Los Angeles, and I've never sold a car before, so I'm a little unsure.

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang Coupe 2D in Fair condition. It has about 150k miles on it, and KBB valued it at $1.1k. It goes well, but some things aren't working, like one headlight, ABS light is on, CD.
I'm moving out of state and not looking to make money off this. Just basically want to get rid of it and be done with it.

Do I just put it up on CL for like $1k, or is there a quicker way? Would some dealership take it for less but quicker?
Man, people would be beating a path to your door for that price. Many would simply invest another 3K and run it for another 200K and call it a deal....

Old 11-03-2016, 02:57 PM

23,262 posts, read 23,621,950 times
I'd donate it.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:23 PM

1,777 posts, read 2,367,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
It's worth noting that "tax brakes" only help if you make enough money..... if you're driving a $1k car, you probably don't make Anywhere near enough money, I know that even with a household income approaching 6-figgures we don't even come Close to hitting the standard deductions.

If the vehicle runs/drives, has clean paperwork and stands even the slimmest of chances at passing emissions, it's easily worth $1k. I've never really had issues with scammers or lowballers via craigslist, but I stick to a "I'll talk price only face to face with cash on the table" policy.... and given that you just want to be rid of the vehicle, who cares if someone tries to offer you less. It's not like we're talking a lot of money here (though, that's all perspective...)
Good point. Also, wouldn't a person have to itemize deductions for this to benefit him? If you take the standard deduction then donating to charity doesn't help a person at all regarding taxes.

OP, you may also consider selling your car to a junkyard for scrap metal. Though the price of steel varies and you probably won't get a lot for it, but you'll get some money.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:41 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,312,143 times
1K is an easy sell. Just throw it on Craiglist, it'll be gone by the end of the week if not that same day.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:57 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Hey!

I'm in Los Angeles, and I've never sold a car before, so I'm a little unsure.

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang Coupe 2D in Fair condition. It has about 150k miles on it, and KBB valued it at $1.1k. It goes well, but some things aren't working, like one headlight, ABS light is on, CD.
I'm moving out of state and not looking to make money off this. Just basically want to get rid of it and be done with it.

Do I just put it up on CL for like $1k, or is there a quicker way? Would some dealership take it for less but quicker?
Very likely the headlight is just the bulb, you can change that or if you have essentially nil mechanical skills and tools (many headlights can be changed with just a Swiss Army knife). That might help you get a bit more money.

There is a market for "$1000 cars". I would fix the headlight, since it's an easy fix and makes the car seem less "down at heels", wash it up and vacuum it out, make sure you get all your personal stuff and any paper that would be useful for cloning your identity, and sell it for $1000.

Actually as a rust-free Cali car, and if it passes SMOG, this is not necessarily such a bad car. Plenty of kids and people with limited income would want it. There in LA you don't really need ABS that often, inop ABS would not be such a big deal there as it might in snow country.

$1000 is not that much money, but, an extra $1000 beats a bill for $1000.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:29 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,255,058 times
have an officemate who bought similar car like that mustang. he bought it something like more than $2k..that was 2 yrs ago..it never went far..and he just drives on the streets here in OC

Old 11-03-2016, 04:34 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,420,756 times
Try to offer it for sale around the first part of the month. Many people have more money then.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:07 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Remember California REQUIRES a valid smog certificate no older than 90 days...

The does not apply if you sell to a Dealer, Out of State or Donate.

Many get into problems because if the buyer can't smog it or it costs too much it all comes back on you...

I part out cars that don't pass smog... often do much better as the parts are often worth a lot more than the whole car.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:29 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,933,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Put it on Craigslist for $500. You will sell it in a matter of days.
I agree.

And, it that doesn't work or it results in too many scam-ish replies taking up too much of your time, which I encountered, I sold my 17-yr old Geo Metro for $100 to one of those WeBuyCarsForLess sites. They p/u & on time, even in downtown NYC. At the time, my KBB value was $100.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive