Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,150 posts, read 80,258,802 times

Advertisements

I have these tires on my 2013 Challenger, with only 28,000 miles and tread that looks like new. This fall with the recent rain, I can hardly start off from a stop without spinning them and starting to fishtail until the traction control kicks in. Since that didn't happen in the spring, nor last winter, I decided to contact Michelin. The warranty is 6 years/60,000 miles, and they have opened a "ticket" so I can go to a local dealer Saturday to have them inspected and perhaps test drive demonstration if raining, which it should be. These are high performance all-season, and supposed to be good on ice and light snow according to their advertising. I'm thinking it must be the compound in the rubber is poor, and they are now too hard to grip after only 3+ years. reading reviews now, others have complained of poor wet weather traction on them.

Anyone else had this issue with these or other tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 02:46 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,681,844 times
The Michelin Latitudes that came on my last Jeep were terrible. Good on dry pavement, more or less OK in the rain, but crap in snow, ice and off pavement. I tossed them after 30,000 miles and put Goodyear AT Adventures on. Complete 180 in all situations. Glued to the pavement in wet or dry and stomped through 2 feet of snow like it wasn't even there.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:57 PM

5,640 posts, read 24,865,542 times
It is an all-season tire so the compound should be ok for cool / wet but some tires need a mile or so to get really compliant. They will be very marginal in snow and pretty worthless on ice.

I use all-season tires in the winter and they are much better than my summer performance tires once the temps drop below 50F... but still no good in real winter weather.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,523,146 times
a) it's an all-season, not sticky summer tires b) soft suspensions are gonna do that c) try slowly rolling out vs pedal mashing

Old 11-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It is an all-season tire so the compound should be ok for cool / wet but some tires need a mile or so to get really compliant. They will be very marginal in snow and pretty worthless on ice.

I use all-season tires in the winter and they are much better than my summer performance tires once the temps drop below 50F... but still no good in real winter weather.
Actually, this seems to be happening in the first mile after starting. This car will remain at home in case of any ice or frost, I also have a 4x4 truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
a) it's an all-season, not sticky summer tires b) soft suspensions are gonna do that c) try slowly rolling out vs pedal mashing
Easier said than done but I'm starting out like an egg is under my foot when it's wet. I'm anxious to see what the dealer will say about it on Saturday.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:04 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,160,143 times
I'm glad you posted this thread, I have an interest in these tires particularly because they are available in a very rare size that I am seeking; 245/55-17. I see mixed reviews, mostly negative. From what I understand, I believe most of the negative reviews (traction/stiffness related) are a result of these tires being run-flat construction. I suspect this may have something to do with your issue as well.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I'm glad you posted this thread, I have an interest in these tires particularly because they are available in a very rare size that I am seeking; 245/55-17. I see mixed reviews, mostly negative. From what I understand, I believe most of the negative reviews (traction/stiffness related) are a result of these tires being run-flat construction. I suspect this may have something to do with your issue as well.
I'll let you know what they say after I take it in tomorrow. Meanwhile, my research for replacement, if Michelin fails to make it good, has lead me to the Nitto Motivo, made in the USA and a subsidiary of Toyo. Great reviews, decent price, and still W speed rating. Car & Driver tested them and found them superior to the Continental Extreme Contacts especially on wet roads which are priced much higher.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,789,309 times
Typical Michelin tires. They get hard as they age and that's about 2 years for most. That's how they get the long miles out of them- hard compounds as they age. I won't have a Michelin anymore just because of it. Down here in our Texas heat the sidewalls are noted for cracks from the heat by year 2. They're kinda like a new wife, great when you first get to ride on it but then you realize it wasn't what you thought you were getting and then the ride gets rough as time goes by. Then you find yerself putting up with the crap because you don't want everybody to think yer a fool so you tell everybody how great it is.

Continental Extreme Contacts, I had 2 sets of them and never again. They might be fabulous in snow, we don't get snow here. But the tires will pickup every nail in the world. I couldn't get over 20,000 miles out of a set without so many flats from road debris that they weren't fixable anymore.That's city and expressway driving. Didn't have any issues at all from the Generals that were the last set on that vehicle.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:11 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,177,011 times
Michelin makes great tires, but the MXM4 is now a very old and dated design. They were OE equipment on cars dating back to 2004-2005. Tire technology has progressed a lot since then, and there are better choices made from better compounds.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Michelin makes great tires, but the MXM4 is now a very old and dated design. They were OE equipment on cars dating back to 2004-2005. Tire technology has progressed a lot since then, and there are better choices made from better compounds.
This is the direction I went with. After inspection, it was determined that the wear was normal, and with the speed rating W (168 mph) wet traction is as expected due to lack of siping. Under the circumstances I wanted to replace them anyway, looked at the Nitto, also rated W but with some sipes, but still not looking all that great for our wet climate. Asking for suggestions, he recommended the Michelin Latitude Tour which was on sale $70 off each. They are only rated for up to 118mph but I would never go that fast and the tread is much more like you would expect in a M+S tire. Someone else came in so I told him to go ahead and help him first, which gave me a chance to check reviews and prices elsewhere on my phone. I was convinced it was a good deal, so went for them. Coming home was all uphill with heavy rain, and the difference was amazing, no slip even jumping on it from a stop, so I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive