Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:29 PM

8,329 posts, read 6,419,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Who waits two hours at the DMV?! I've been to the DMV four times this year and I'm always in and out in less than 15 minutes. Usually in and out in under 10 minutes.
Calif. has hordes of illegal aliens, the DMV is always jam packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 10:10 PM

509 posts, read 554,249 times
After applying your sticker put something over it such as glue, clear nail polish or decoupage.
They all dry clear so won't be an issue with cops, but make it harder for thieves to quickly pull the sticker as it will seal the edges. That's what they want-quick. Probably your old sticker had a corner sticking up just begging to be pulled off.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Cops like registration stickers because it's easy for them to spot offenders without running the plate..
They don't need to do that if they have a license plate reader, those things will scan every plate they find. The amount of people caught without a registration or stolen plates is going to increase. I don't know how capable they are of identifying make/model but inevitably that will occur if they aren't doing it already.

Quote:
States should just stop with stickers and start fining people who do not renew their registration and have not forfeited plates.
You are supposed to surrender the plate here in PA but it's one of those laws they do not enforce. I believe they may go after people that have let their insurance lapse etc. I've never turned one in. With the readers you are not going to be on the road very long without a valid plate.

Quote:
States that have annual vehicle inspections could just perform inspections every two years instead
I'm not particularly fond of having to pay for inspection, I do all my own work and everything is kept in really good shape. That said an annual inspection is pretty important, too many people on the road that don't even know how to operate an air hose let alone know something should be fixed.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Most states seem to have a much larger population than Alaska. The average wait here is about 2 hours.
Here in PA the plates/title transfers are handled through a private notary or somewhere that sells cars, wait time is usually 0 however the costs may be higher. I know an in-transit tag is significantly more costly here than in NY.

Once you have the plate everything else can be done online or through the mail. The only time you need to interact with the government is for driver license renewal. Locally wait times are pretty short. Perhaps half an hour at most.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:40 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Who waits two hours at the DMV?! I've been to the DMV four times this year and I'm always in and out in less than 15 minutes. Usually in and out in under 10 minutes.
Ha! A few years ago I had to go to the DMV ... Got the kids in school by 0800, drove to DMV in time to make it pre-opening line by about 0830, doors open by 0900, sitting inside with little number tab by 0930.

1030; waiting.

1130; waitng.

1200; left. Went home. Cleaned the house, took a shower, picked up kids by 1430.

On the way home from school, glanced down & noticed I had not tossed number tab. Thought "Hmmmm; I wonder ...?"

Drove back to DMV out of curiosity, made it inside by 1500.

They were calling the number 2 numbers before mine! Waited about 30 min & my number was called!

You should have seen the sour-puss faces on the people who remembered me from 0830 who had sat there all day while I left, took care of buisness & returned just in time; it was hysterical.

Probably wouldn't get that "lucky" again but geez, you gotta wonder!

Old 11-08-2016, 05:31 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Cops like registration stickers because it's easy for them to spot offenders without running the plate. And it's probably an excuse that cops use all the time to pull over sketchy looking vehicles.

States should just stop with stickers and start fining people who do not renew their registration and have not forfeited plates. Make it an automatic system. If you do not renew your registration and have not turned in your plates, you get a 30 day grace period before receiving a $50 fine. Every month you do not renew, you get fined another $50. If you don't pay, the funds are withheld from your state tax refund, or when you try to register/renew a vehicle in your name in the future.

On another note, I wish more states would implement two year registration stickers. States that have annual vehicle inspections could just perform inspections every two years instead.
Fining and replacement fees are the real goal in many places not public safety. The Ferguson PD or LA City Parking Enforcement can raise cash for their city even if the computer says paid in full because the letter of the old law predates their technology

Old 11-08-2016, 05:51 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
I don't understand all the talk about waiting two hours in line, have none of you ever heard of making an appointment?
I recently had to go to the DMV to renew my license, and after making an appointment, I was in and out, including going to several windows in the process, and taking the test, in about 30 minutes.
When I entered there was a long line out the door and down the street of those who just showed up with no appointment. When I left I saw that the line had hardly moved, because those who had made appointments were taking care of business.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:05 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I don't understand all the talk about waiting two hours in line, have none of you ever heard of making an appointment?
I recently had to go to the DMV to renew my license, and after making an appointment, I was in and out, including going to several windows in the process, and taking the test, in about 30 minutes.
When I entered there was a long line out the door and down the street of those who just showed up with no appointment. When I left I saw that the line had hardly moved, because those who had made appointments were taking care of business.
In SoCal normally the earliest appointment available is weeks away and you are sitting on a fixit ticket and probable cause for any police harassment.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:58 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
How DMV operates differ from state to state. In MD, you don't even need to go in during every other (?) renewal. You can do it online and they'll mail your license to you.

And it seems Cali may be a whole different animal. We met a couple who had relocated to MD from Cali. They were so impressed when they actually received their registration in the mail. Evidently, they were used to having that type of stuff get lost and having to follow-up numerous times....

Old 11-08-2016, 07:28 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Never heard of appointments at DMV but here in CO you can either mail in your payment or do it online. No need to physically go into DMV. Heck you can even renew your license online. They just re-use your photo. I'll be 50 and still have a picture of me when I was 20ish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive