Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:55 AM

792 posts, read 2,873,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Why not?
Superglue isn't that hard to scrape off with a razor blade. It dries hard. I like MarciaMarshaMarcia's solution. Put on clean, that sticker glue is tough to get off. But if you have to try something else, I'd try a thin layer of any of the shoegoo/goop family of glues. That stuff is waterproof, flexible, strong, and hard to cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 09:47 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
How DMV operates differ from state to state. In MD, you don't even need to go in during every other (?) renewal. You can do it online and they'll mail your license to you.

And it seems Cali may be a whole different animal. We met a couple who had relocated to MD from Cali. They were so impressed when they actually received their registration in the mail. Evidently, they were used to having that type of stuff get lost and having to follow-up numerous times....
I think the DMV is run really efficiently here in Texas. The larger metros have megacenters where you can put in your cell phone number online and they text you periodically with how long until your appointment.

When I first moved here, I put in my number and immediately got a text that my appointment is 1.5hr away. I left for the DMV a few minutes later, grabbed lunch on the way, and got to the DMV with 5 minutes left. It was a really great experience. I think they sent update texts about every 10-15 minutes.

The license plate thing is a real PITA because it's managed by the county. If you live in a populated county, the wait can be awful. I got there at 7:45 and there was already a line forming outside. But luckily I was in and out in under an hour.

I loved the DMV where I lived in Missouri. It was a super small town, so there was rarely more than one customer. But I'm sure the same could be said for any small town DMV location across the US.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:53 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
State registration sticker theft is common in Chicago, when I lived there we found one morning that somebody had gone down the block, smashed several cars passenger side window to scrape the city sticker off the inside of the windshield. The state will issue replacements by mail or at DMV, either way it is $20.

Chicago and suburbs have mostly switched to automatic plate readers which look at the database to see if a sticker was purchased, so there is less incentive to steal stickers now that we have fewer beat cops walking around eyeballing the stickers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSZ
Chicago Police Department purchases Motorola / PAGIS automated license plate readers. These devices (35 at last count) track the GPS location a license plate was seen and the timestamp. The scanned plates are then checked against a Hot List that consist of plates of interest. According to FOIA documents acquired by the author, there might be as many as 300,000 license plates stored in the Hot List at any one time in Chicago - meaning that approximately 1 in 10 Chicagoans has their vehicle on the Hot List.
Makes me glad to have escaped to a state where ALPR is forbidden by law.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:11 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
It's true that much can be done online, but there are still situations where we have had to wait two hours or more. The only thing I have seen an appointment for (at the DMV) were road tests.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:17 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's true that much can be done online, but there are still situations where we have had to wait two hours or more. The only thing I have seen an appointment for (at the DMV) were road tests.
I just send in my Grand Theft Auto gameplay video and that is usually good enough

Old 11-08-2016, 10:27 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Why not?
It's messy & has a tendency to dissolve stuff.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:30 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Does nail polish repel crackheads?
No, but they, like tweekers, obsessively pick, pick, pick at things, so this discourages them.

I have a relative who lives/works in Bay Area & had their registration stickers stolen on each car...it may not be a problem in some areas & replacement may not be an issue either...depends where you live, work.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I think the DMV is run really efficiently here in Texas. The larger metros have megacenters where you can put in your cell phone number online and they text you periodically with how long until your appointment.
Here, the DMV has you sign in with your phone number and you get text updates that way. It sends an initial text saying how long the wait will be, and then sends updates depending on how many people are still ahead of you in line. The DMV I go to is in a large shopping plaza. The last time I went, I checked in with my number, ran some errands, and headed back to the DMV when I got an update saying there were 2 people ahead of me in line.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
2 hours at the DMV, and a $20 fee, plus waiting who knows how long until I get a new sticker. Parking tickets?
Do they not have the stickers at the DMV?

Old 11-08-2016, 02:56 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

On another note, I wish more states would implement two year registration stickers. States that have annual vehicle inspections could just perform inspections every two years instead.
Vermont has a two-year option with a small price break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive