Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 10:31 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Those that voted for him live in a fantasy world of slogans and promises.
Not necessarily. For some it was a vote against Hilary rather than for Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 11:40 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not to bring politics into this,but I have a car made in Japan.

Americans made cars are not reliable for the most part.

Do you think that Americans will finally buy American made cars?

ALSO:

This is very intriguing to me,because most cars made by Toyota are actually made in plants in the USA.
Also,GM makes some parts of their cars in Mexico.
Most Toyotas are not made in America. They assemble a couple of models here. All the car manufacturers are semi-global. Their parts are made all over the world, they are assembled in different places.

Still, the so-called American manufacturers make MORE here in America, while the Japanese manufacturers do make MORE of their cars in their native countries.

I doubt there will be tariffs. Trump brought this up in the Republican debates, to which a couple of the other more trade-savvy debaters told him that if we add tariffs, then those other countries will simply add tariffs to our exports, and a trade war would ensue. No one comes out of a war unscathed. Alternatively, the tariffs would just get passed on to the American consumer, driving up inflation and cost of living here. Either way, adding a tariff doesn't have the desired effect.

But I think that much more expensive cars will sell less. They always do. It's pretty hard to hit Ford prices, though. When I was shopping, I found the Fords in the category I was looking at were pricier, and I didn't like the reliability ratings for them. I also didn't find them desirable in other ways, to justify the increased prices. So I bought Japanese....again.

Trump was talking about slapping a tariff on Ford, though. Not on other cars from Japan and such. We may have even steven trading with Japan. He was talking about a tariff for Ford because it was closing an American plant to move it to Mexico. If he does that, Ford may move its other plants to Mexico, costing us even more jobs. The tariffs may be offset by increased cost savings making the cars in Mexico.

It's complicated.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:57 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:

ALSO:

This is very intriguing to me,because most cars made by Toyota are actually made in plants in the USA.
Also,GM makes some parts of their cars in Mexico.
1. Your generalization of Amercian made cars are not reliable is flawed. Look at a Ford Crown Victoria, easily a 400,000 mile car doing hard duty as a police car, then as a taxi cab. I rode in one last week that clicked over 400,000 that day. Show me a Japanese car that can perform under cop car/taxi conditions for 400K miles.

2. Honda makes Accords in Ohio so is that a Japanese car or an American one?

Your American cars are not reliable would certainly be a qualified statement in 1977 but 30 years later not so much.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:07 PM

760 posts, read 767,805 times
Quote:

No.
If you look under the hood of these "American made" cars you will see just how much is made overseas, about all we do any more is ASSEMBLE the parts, it's the same with heavy machinery like tractors, John Deere and all the rest.

You look at any construction site in the country and every machine like cranes, bulldozers etc will have some foreign name on them like Daiwoo, Mitsubishi, even if some might have an American sounding name they aren't made here, they get their brand name slapped on them and sold by the dealers.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:27 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I would NEVER buy another Detroit 3 car but the foreign manufacturers build EXCELLENT cars here built by non UAW workers.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
I wonder how much parts for foreign mad cars will go up..I guess by a lot.

So those already expensive parts will jump even more.
The beauty of buying a used Japanese car, is that they rarely need new parts. So, even if the parts were more expensive, you'd still be better off buying a used Japanese car.

I figure there are plenty of used Japanese vehicles in the states. No need to buy a new one. I hope to never own another American vehicle in my life (and no, just because a Japanese vehicle was made in the states is not the same thing - the design and attention to quality is still Japanese). People love to say how cheap the parts are, but you need so many more of them! And, the used Japanese vehicles I've purchased have very, very rarely ever left me stranded. Whereas, American cars left me stranded regularly, with regular expensive mechanic bills.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:45 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The beauty of buying a used Japanese car, is that they rarely need new parts. So, even if the parts were more expensive, you'd still be better off buying a used Japanese car.

I figure there are plenty of used Japanese vehicles in the states. No need to buy a new one. I hope to never own another American vehicle in my life (and no, just because a Japanese vehicle was made in the states is not the same thing - the design and attention to quality is still Japanese). People love to say how cheap the parts are, but you need so many more of them! And, the used Japanese vehicles I've purchased have very, very rarely ever left me stranded. Whereas, American cars left me stranded regularly, with regular expensive mechanic bills.
I have a 2002 Toyota RAV4 and a 2006 Honda CR-V. Both were made in Japan and shipped over. I must admit that was a factor in why I wanted both of the vehicles. Yes they are older vehicles but the reliability has been super.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:52 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's the plan. However, the other side has to know you are serious about the threats you make. If there was that much cost saving, we'd be buying a brand new Focus for $10K. Either that, or Ford is pocketing the money.
Yeah if you're going into negotiations you better have a set of brass balls is the way I see it and the willingness to back it up. For the most part I agree we made bad trade deals. It's better to renegotiate before going hammer time.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
In the 1980s legislation was passed that allowed foreign car companies to not pay tariffs on vehicles if they are assembled in the USA. In Trump's first presidential campaign speech he mentions that you see Japanese cars everywhere in NYC but you never see a Chevy in Tokyo. Whether that was his personal preference or just to appeal to Midwestern voters I'm not sure. Most people understand that in the global economy what's an American car is not longer cut and dry.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:18 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

That's true for the best Japanese brands: Toyota, Honda, to a lesser extent Subaru, Mazda, and Nissan. The worst Japanese brands (Mitsubishi, Suzuki) are no better. I am a Toyota guy but I would take a Ford over an Isuzu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive