Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:07 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

Not to bring politics into this,but I have a car made in Japan.

Americans made cars are not reliable for the most part.

Do you think that Americans will finally buy American made cars?

ALSO:

This is very intriguing to me,because most cars made by Toyota are actually made in plants in the USA.
Also,GM makes some parts of their cars in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 11:24 AM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah will be amusing if that 35% import tariff gets placed on a GM/Ford but not a Toyota/Kia.

It's all nonsense anyway. That's not going to bring manufacturing jobs back here. Just hasten the implementation of more automation.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:29 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
That would be amusing, because Japan's Toyota Camry has the most domestically produced parts. The top five vehicles with domestically produced parts all come from Toyota or Honda.

Rank Make/Model U.S. Assembly Location 2015 Rank
1 Toyota Camry Georgetown, Ky., or Lafayette, Ind. 1
2 Honda Accord Marysville, Ohio –
3 Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind. 2
4 Honda Odyssey Lincoln, Ala. 4
5 Honda Pilot Lincoln, Ala. –
6 Chevrolet Traverse Lansing, Mich. 3
7 GMC Acadia Lansing, Mich. 5
8 Buick Enclave Lansing, Mich. 6

In order to make the list, vehicles have to have at least 75% domestic content. Camry, Sienna, Odyssey and Pilot all have 75%. The rest have 80%, says Cars.com.

Japan's Toyota has the most made-in-the USA car: Camry

Old 11-11-2016, 11:41 AM

I wonder how much parts for foreign mad cars will go up..I guess by a lot.

So those already expensive parts will jump even more.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
That would be amusing, because Japan's Toyota Camry has the most domestically produced parts. The top five vehicles with domestically produced parts all come from Toyota or Honda.

In order to make the list, vehicles have to have at least 75% domestic content. Camry, Sienna, Odyssey and Pilot all have 75%. The rest have 80%, says Cars.com.

That is what makes it all confusing.

I think he said if companies are based in other countries the tariffs will still be applied.

This will be complicated.

I can imagine the costs of American made cars will go up too as the costs of making the cars will get passed on the consumer,because hey,they will have to pay a living wage now thanks to the Union UAW

Old 11-11-2016, 01:11 PM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
That's something a lot of people don't fundamentally understand. Businesses don't pay for taxes or anything really. It's just passed on to the consumer. So go ahead and try to levy a 90% tax on CEO pay or raise minimum wage to $20. Just understand it won't reduce their take home pay one penny. Will just be passed to you and make that $20 worth $10.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:27 PM

125 posts, read 212,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's something a lot of people don't fundamentally understand. Businesses don't pay for taxes or anything really. It's just passed on to the consumer. So go ahead and try to levy a 90% tax on CEO pay or raise minimum wage to $20. Just understand it won't reduce their take home pay one penny. Will just be passed to you and make that $20 worth $10.
True story. They play by games we can only imagine. When you buy an iPhone, that money goes from Asia to Ireland (where it winds up to avoid U.S. taxes). This is common knowledge, but the executives play the game with incredible skill and imagination. Their job is to maximize the value of each share of stock. Their goal is not to provide us with any sort of loyalty beyond that. We, as consumers, usually buy the cheapest product which will fulfill what we want, not the one that provided jobs to Americans, so it's our fault as well.

I can say that philosophies are different by where the company is headquartered. Cars made by German companies tend to be much more finicky regarding maintenance and durability. Cars designed in Japan are made to be durable and run in spite of owner negligence, but they do better when assembled in cultures where quality is a point of pride for the workers. This can be hit and miss outside of Japan, but America can assemble a good, solid car, when supplied with parts that are designed by people who really want to be proud of their work.

So, I blame the current corporate culture of maximizing shareholder value above any other goal, including the future of the business or its reputation.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

We had this discussion before.
The plant that builds the Camry is surrounded by Japanese suppliers.
The foreign parts are sent to the supplier who adds value.
Parts are now magically American.

They would get hammered as much as anybody except there's no way this tariff is going to work unless they put tariffs on all imported auto parts, like the "chicken tax" on trucks. If they don't then the parts will just come from places where the tariffs don't apply.

If there's no tariff on Country X, then China or Mexico sends the parts to Country X where they put it in a different box.
Part is now imported from Country X tariff free. The Chinese did this with their bad honey to make it harder for inspectors to tell where it was coming from.
They didn't count on an analysis determining what flowers the bees visited and figuring out it was Chinese that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
TJust understand it won't reduce their take home pay one penny. Will just be passed to you and make that $20 worth $10.
And you won't get a raise, so these tariffs will amount to a nice fat pay cut.

They'd be better off giving the working man jobs fixing infrastructure.
It's here, it's falling apart, it needs to get fixed and a robot can't do it.
But I got no problem with a NAFTA renegotiation and telling China to get rid of the JV requirement.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-11-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 11-11-2016, 01:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not to bring politics into this,but I have a car made in Japan.

Americans made cars are not reliable for the most part.

Do you think that Americans will finally buy American made cars?

ALSO:

This is very intriguing to me,because most cars made by Toyota are actually made in plants in the USA.
Also,GM makes some parts of their cars in Mexico.
Your opinion about American built cars is just your opinion. Thousands of car owners will disagree with you.

BTW I own both American and Japanese cars. Both are great cars.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:34 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
We had this discussion before.
The plant that builds the Camry is surrounded by Japanese suppliers.
The foreign parts are sent to the supplier who adds value.
Parts are now magically American.
Yes, like "Italian" suits. Fabric comes from a mill in Indonesia, gets tailored in Vietnam, comes to Italia and they finish the sleeves, add some hand stitching, sew the buttons on. Italian suit!

Also, I didn't really notice any difference in reliability in my American-made Honda or my Japanese-made Honda, Mazda, and Toyota. Actually, the Mazda (made in Japan) was the least reliable. It and and the American-made Honda were really the only two I owned long enough for to really matter though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive