Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 AM

64 posts, read 60,422 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating and will be buying a new car that is more suitable for the weather where I'm headed. I know the make, model, trim and options that I want. It's likely that this combination will not be in stock so the dealer would need to order it. Thus, I may be without a car at first and will need to rent a car till the new one arrives. (Selling old car where I live now and flying to new location.)

The question is, will I lose all negotiating power if I try to buy this car ahead of time over the phone or online so it will already be there when I arrive? I've seen tips elsewhere about this but thought I would ask this community. All advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 08:17 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
They probably won't let you even buy a car over the phone.

I've tried to get dealers to order a specific car before I moved, a Golf with tan interior, and they didn't want to do it. Apparently people really despise tan interiors and prefer claustrophobic depressing black, so if they order a tan they wouldn't be able to sell it if I decided I don't want it.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:36 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
I've semi-done it. My current Grand Cherokee was a factory order - I wanted the V8 and Off-Road Adventure II, not a common combination at all with the trim and other options I got. I did all the negotiating over email, called in to confirm which one I wanted and make the deposit, picked it up almost 4 weeks to the day after I ordered it. I was at the dealer long enough to sign the paperwork and out I went. You won't be able to sign the buyers order, but everything else can be done over the phone with the right dealer.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westeasterly View Post
I'm relocating and will be buying a new car that is more suitable for the weather where I'm headed. I know the make, model, trim and options that I want. It's likely that this combination will not be in stock so the dealer would need to order it. Thus, I may be without a car at first and will need to rent a car till the new one arrives. (Selling old car where I live now and flying to new location.)

The question is, will I lose all negotiating power if I try to buy this car ahead of time over the phone or online so it will already be there when I arrive? I've seen tips elsewhere about this but thought I would ask this community. All advice appreciated.
How much time until your move? Why not wait until you get there and then order?

Old 11-16-2016, 06:29 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

So he doesn't have to rent a car for 3-4 months while waiting for it to come in?

OP, do a lookup in the area where you are moving for dealer stock on what you want. There may be one fairly close to where you are moving to that a dealer could do a dealer trade on. That would at least give you a starting point when talking to the dealer in the new location. And it would make getting the car quicker if you were told you have to come to the dealership to do any negotiating.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:42 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Generally you gain, not lose, negotiating power when you do it remotely. Get it done via e-mail, offer a deposit (just make sure it's refundable) as proof you're serious and negotiate the deal you want, then come and pick up your car. Make sure both you and the dealer are comfortable with delivery timing so he doesn't have to pay for it to collect dust for a month or more while waiting for you to come pick it up.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:34 AM

64 posts, read 60,422 times
Thank you all, these are encouraging replies and I'm going to do it. I'll try to report back to this thread after the holidays. A few responses follow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
...Make sure both you and the dealer are comfortable with delivery timing so he doesn't have to pay for it to collect dust for a month or more while waiting for you to come pick it up.
Highlanderfil, this is good advice that will influence my timing. Thanks. I have no idea how long it will take to get the model I want shipped to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
OP, do a lookup in the area where you are moving for dealer stock on what you want.
I have checked stock for the three dealers in the general vicinity and none have that combination on the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Jaypee, I can also go that route. But I don't know if the lead time will be a few weeks or even months. As Tiffer said, I would have to rent a car in the meantime. Hope to avoid that.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Most dealers have cars on their website with discounted "internet prices", and also show the sticker price. Some will also have an even lower e-price, like this example that you click to reveal. You may be able to negotiate it for less in person, but with the posted prices you can tell if it's a good deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying car over phone in advance of move?-eprice.png  

Old 11-16-2016, 10:52 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:

I have checked stock for the three dealers in the general vicinity and none have that combination on the lot.

Maybe check farther out. My last new car was dealer traded from 198 miles away in order to get the color/option combination I was looking for. Still was able to negotiate on price, so it worked out.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:37 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
I would never consider buying over the phone, do it online, go to the dealers web site and pick out exactly the car and options you want, and see the price spelled out right in front of you. What they tell you on the phone may change when you walk in the door, it can't if you walk in with a printout.
You can play with different options and prices with a click of the mouse until you arrive at the perfect vehicle to fit your needs and your budget.
Nothing wrong will a call to them to clarify a question, but having it spelled out in print on the web page make sure there are no misunderstanding.
Buying online assures you the best price because you can shop ever dealer in the country to compare prices. They will offer you the best price because they know you can shop elsewhere from your easy chair.
Most all dealerships now have salesmen specifically assigned to online sales, and they can offer you the lowest price. My last several vehicle purchases were done online, with a visit or two to the dealership to view the vehicle and sit down with the online sales personnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive