Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:01 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

If you think about it, isn't Tesla the most pro American vehicle you can think of. It is manufactured completely in the United States. It is electric and there is no reliance upon foreign oil. They are well built and don't end up in the shop. They don't allow dealerships to sell their cars so there is no haggling or people getting ripped off.

I'm surprised more people don't support Tesla from a patriotic view. I personally love driving them and not having to give any money to the Saudis. I wish more Americans drove Tesla. It's expensive but cheaper models are coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 03:21 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm surprised more people don't support Tesla from a patriotic view.
They still perceive other models to be more "american" such as GM, Ford, Chrysler.

Also, consumers still care more about cost than anything else. Hence why people still flock to Walmart, who has a majority of their sales from foreign-made products.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:28 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
It's expensive but cheaper models are coming.
This is the key.

I haven't heard of anyone referring to Tesla as "less American"...

Old 11-19-2016, 03:44 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
But I'm not sure electric cars are all that American right now. Electric cars don't even really put a dent in overall car sales, and all the most popular cars are all gas engines. A pickup truck is the best selling vehicle for a long time now, and all the muscle cars and really fun cars to drive are not electric cars. I mean when I think of an all American car, a Tesla don't exactly comes to mind. Big V8s and a good exhaust note comes to mind first for me, like the Mustang GT and Dodge Challenger, and Charger Hellcat. Yeah, I know their parts are made elsewhere, and one is owned by Fiat. But, going by the title of your thread alone, sure they are more American cars out there than a Tesla, plus a true American car have to be affordable or within reach to average joe and not exclusive to people with money. I love the Tesla Model S P85D by the way, beautiful car.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
They still perceive other models to be more "american" such as GM, Ford, Chrysler.

Also, consumers still care more about cost than anything else. Hence why people still flock to Walmart, who has a majority of their sales from foreign-made products.
I agree that is perception but if people really take the time to think about it, Tesla is more American.

Regarding cost, I agree. However, they will be coming out with more affordable cars and I think many Americans will gravitate toward them. They are a quality product that look amazing. These are cars that Americans don't need to feel ashamed about. With the exception of some cars, most American cars are pretty ugly when compared to imports in terms of aesthetics. Not so with Tesla

Old 11-19-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
But I'm not sure electric cars are all that American right now. Electric cars don't even really put a dent in overall car sales, and all the most popular cars are all gas engines. A pickup truck is the best selling vehicle for a long time now, and all the muscle cars and really fun cars to drive are not electric cars. I mean when I think of an all American car, a Tesla don't exactly comes to mind. Big V8s and a good exhaust note comes to mind first for me, like the Mustang GT and Dodge Challenger, and Charger Hellcat. Yeah, I know their parts are made elsewhere, and one is owned by Fiat. But, going by the title of your thread alone, sure they are more American cars out there than a Tesla, plus a true American car have to be affordable or within reach to average joe and not exclusive to people with money. I love the Tesla Model S P85D by the way, beautiful car.
Most people who claim muscle cars and gas cars are more fun to drive do not own a Tesla. I had that same impression until I bought one. I thought they would be boring...far from it. It feels like you are in the Millenium Falcon about to go to light speed, you definitely feel the G force and a rush as soon as you hit the accelerator. These are more fun to drive. To go to light speed instantly with no drag or body roll is so fun. I've raced Mustangs and to blow past them from the start is not just fun but astonishing. You just don't see Mustangs getting their ass kicked. You almost feel sorry for them.

Agree about affordability but they are coming around and creating cheaper models.

For me, I love the idea that it does not rely on gas. I love giving a middle finger to the Saudis and the Middle East. I don't need their damn oil now. It is so empowering

Old 11-19-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Most people who claim muscle cars and gas cars are more fun to drive do not own a Tesla. I had that same impression until I bought one. I thought they would be boring...far from it. These are more fun to drive. To go to light speed instantly with no drag or body roll is so fun.
That's true also, but the pure car enthusiast want to hear that beautiful noise from a roaring V8, and felling the gear changes, and manual shift fun. I would think a Tesla is super easy to drive vs a car that you have to put a little into it.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:02 PM

I have read a lot about the Tesla and have watched many vids, it's a beautiful fast smart car. I wish they had the gas engine version of this car. Plus the whole electric thing, and how far you can go on a charge, and recharge station or just having to take a break in the fun to charge it up at all. How fun will that be to drive it across country vs a Hellcat. How American is that to drive cross country in an electric car.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWQ-dnpplaA

Old 11-19-2016, 04:13 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
They are well built and don't end up in the shop.
Where did you get that?
They're one of the most unreliable cars you can buy. Only FCA keeps them off the bottom.
For some reason it took almost 2 years for CR to figure this out, which does not reflect well on their methodology.

A new Tesla was about as reliable as a 10 year old Mercedes... about 10X more likely to have issues as a Lexus.
TrueDelta had them at the bottom by a wide margin from the start. They've gotten somewhat better since, but still not good.

Also, Tesla is a monopoly when it comes to service. You will not want to have one out of warranty unless you are rich.

And then there's this...
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ice-customers/

If they're having difficulty servicing the small number of cars they have out there today, what's going to happen when their service centers get swamped with Model 3's? This is yet another cash drain... there is no profit in setting up centers to service large numbers of cars under warranty.

Will the same thing happen with Superchargers, where you end up waiting for one to open up?
This happens at gas stations, but fortunately it only takes a few minutes to gas up, so it's not a big deal to wait.

Here's something else that's interesting...
http://gas2.org/2015/09/11/2016-volt...-85-to-30-mph/
Not hard to figure out why the new Volt is selling quite well.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-19-2016 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive