Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:37 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
My favorite car ever was my 1989 Ford Taurus (I acquired it when it was 5 years old). Split folding 60/40 bench seat with fold-able armrests in the middle. No issues with leg cramps ever in that car.

I wasn't even driving back then, so I came of age in the era of center consoles. I'm just used to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 09:38 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am 6" 4 1/2 and know exactly what you going through.
1. CR-V is NOT a comfortable car for tall people. I OWNED one. I KNOW. Even with center tray folded, left knee jams into door handle and parking brake handle is eighth of an inch in front of you right knee. Lord save a crash....
2. I have 2012 Highlander and NOTHING touches anywhere even during long haul, when my legs relax and roll out. NOTHING. And there is center console.
I haven't owned a Toyota, but through SUV car shopping have noticed that their consoles look to be shorter/lower than others potentially giving more leg flexibility.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Taken from SAAN in another post.

"but the huge center console makes you feel like you are in a coffin"

The last new car without a center console was the 2012 Chevrolet Impala with column shift.

I don't want a center console. Especially a HUGE wide one.

There is not new car/SUV today (2016) without a huge console. If my right leg rubs against the center console, I don't want that car.
So basically, there are no new cars today without a huge wide center console.

And I am in a situation where I can buy virtually any new car/SUV (within reason).

Why are front drivers seats so cramped today in every car/SUV?

And why do buyers of new cars put up with this?
Thanks for starting this thread. I am completely onboard with the topic as it is one of my main gripes with vehicles these days.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:57 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
The center console covers the central tunnel, which is where the exhaust goes (and driveshaft on a RWD or AWD car). The exhaust and driveshafts are not going to hang below the cars anymore for aerodynamics (fuel economy) and ground clearance reasons, so your going to have a central tunnel regardless. And of course, that center console is now where the shifter goes for both manual and automatic cars.

A few single cab trucks still have a bench seat with central seating, but most cars cannot, due to the lack of a place to put the central shoulder harness and central airbag for that central seat location. These are requirements, not options, so you're not going to see the bench seat (or split bench) come back.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:17 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
1. CR-V is NOT a comfortable car for tall people. I OWNED one. I KNOW. Even with center tray folded, left knee jams into door handle and parking brake handle is eighth of an inch in front of you right knee. Lord save a crash....
2. I have 2012 Highlander and NOTHING touches anywhere even during long haul, when my legs relax and roll out. NOTHING. And there is center console.
I'm 6'8" and have space issues with most vehicles. If you want a maximum amount of personal space, buy a full size pickup truck. Nothing comes close to the leg room in one.

That being said, my wife and I purchased a Jeep Wrangler after we were married. While it doesn't have the legroom of my F150, it is far more comfortable for me to drive than most other cars I have sat inside.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:27 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Thats what I want, but wife wont let me get a truck because she doesnt want us to constantly be called to borrow the truck.
Not getting the vehicle you want because your wife things someone might want to borrow it? Terrible reason. Just tell them no if someone asks and you don't want to, it isn't that hard. Why live with the vehicle you don't want because of something like that? Chances are those people know someone else with a truck anyway.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:40 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
I've had a few of the current generation Ford Taurus as rentals and felt like the console was way too big and I was sitting down in a hole even with the seat raised all the way up.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:42 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,175 times
Quote:

Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
The center console covers the central tunnel, which is where the exhaust goes (and driveshaft on a RWD or AWD car). The exhaust and driveshafts are not going to hang below the cars anymore for aerodynamics (fuel economy) and ground clearance reasons, so your going to have a central tunnel regardless. And of course, that center console is now where the shifter goes for both manual and automatic cars.

A few single cab trucks still have a bench seat with central seating, but most cars cannot, due to the lack of a place to put the central shoulder harness and central airbag for that central seat location. These are requirements, not options, so you're not going to see the bench seat (or split bench) come back.
I don't really mind the central tunnel. It is just the huge consoles that sit on top of the channel. I could even live with a floor shifter (only) without the console, although, not sure why it needs to go there if the exhaust is channeled through nearby. The most practical place for the shifter is on the column, out of the way. It is probably placed in the console now because it is cheaper to make it that way.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:46 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
My Ram 2500 has a front bench seat..... I despise it. My wife's 2014 Expedition has the center console and I love it. For me it gives me more storage and cupholders that don't shake as much (Ram cupholders flip down from the dash). The seats in the Expedition are also much more supportive than my bench seat. I'm looking to upgrade my interior now with the interior from a Laramie in a junkyard to get the center console and get rid of my bench seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive