Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 11:33 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times

Advertisements

You can drive it home with one headlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
You can drive it home with one headlight.
...I do like that song...but I had no idea of the true meaning behind it!

Old 11-23-2016, 12:25 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So - is it illegal to drive with your headlights on and one is burned out even if it is fully daylight and you're using them as "daytime running lights" only?

One of my headlights just went out and I won't be able to fix it for a few days, what with the holiday. I don't need to do any driving after dark but I will be out on the road and I like to have my lights on just so others can see me better (I have a dark car and people seem to often turn in front of me otherwise).

Would I get pulled over by "advertising" one headlight is out even if it is not during a dangerous time to be without a headlight? Should I just leave them off entirely?
Daytime running lights are not the same as night time lights.

Why would you use your headlights during the daytime, anyway, if your car doesn't have daytime running lights?

I would not use them during the day at all and call attention to the fact that one is burned out, if they are your headlights. It is against the law for one to be burned out. Why risk it uncessarily?

Note: I have daytime running lights. They are smaller lights beneath the headlights. If one burned out, there'd be nothing I could do about it, since they are automatically on when the car is on.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:28 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Nope, but if I had daytime running lights, I'd use 'em...but I don't....is that a problem?
Why would you turn on your lights in the daytime?

Old 11-23-2016, 01:03 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As they said, to be seen better. For the same reason as DRLs are needed by many. Why is this even a question?

Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
Some commercial fleets have an always-on policy regarding headlights because of the increased visibility provided...

Old 11-23-2016, 02:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
I have been stopped twice with a headlight burnt out in a car without daylight running lights. The first time was taking my wife to the airport and it honestly burnt out when we left home and it was early morning and was told to fix it as soon as I got home which I did. The second time was on the highway just after a car got in front of me so that I was not speeding as I went over the hill and there was a speed trap. The Mountie got behind me and stopped me and once stopped he asked me if I knew why and I honestly told him that I did not have a clue. He told me the headlight was out and which one and to get it fixed right away. Got home and looked at it and a connection had come out.

If you get a bulb just tell them you will fix it at home where it is safe to do so. I have never had a vehicle where changing the light bulb was difficult but perhaps you have a sealed beam or a more difficult one to do. Google is a good start.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:53 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Do you see a lot of others driving around with just one headlight? I see people driving with one headlight a LOT. People never seemed to get pulled over for it (or for anything really). Something to keep in mind.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:33 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
So - is it illegal to drive with your headlights on and one is burned out even if it is fully daylight and you're using them as "daytime running lights" only?

One of my headlights just went out and I won't be able to fix it for a few days, what with the holiday. I don't need to do any driving after dark but I will be out on the road and I like to have my lights on just so others can see me better (I have a dark car and people seem to often turn in front of me otherwise).

Would I get pulled over by "advertising" one headlight is out even if it is not during a dangerous time to be without a headlight? Should I just leave them off entirely?
As a temporary measure, yeah, turn them off. You ought to replace both bulbs ASAP though. But for daytime running in the meantime, no need to provide the cops with a "sitting duck target".

I think DRLs are BS anyway though.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:33 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Why would you drive with your headlights on during the day?

Headlights are not daytime running lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
As they said, to be seen better. For the same reason as DRLs are needed by many. Why is this even a question?
Thank you!

Seriously, are you folks with DRL's saying that it is safer to drive without headlights on in the daytime? So if I don't have DRL's just forget it? Really? SMH

And yes....I do know they aren't the same thing...I'm not making payments for 5 years to get a newer car with DRLs when I have a 2012 with headlights I can use.

Now get ready....until I get my headlight fixed I'm gonna drive with my PARKING LIGHTS on in the DAYTIME!

But really, thanks for the advice everyone...I'll get it fixed before I have to go out at night - I do have a backup vehicle as long as there's no snow on the ground, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive