Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:14 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times

Advertisements

Everytime i go in these places and ask for a certain part they start talking about stuff and trying to tell me stuff I already know. Why do these places assume everyone who goes in there doesn't know what they are doing? Mechanics shop there too.

And it's not only that half the time they don't know what they are doing. I went into advance auto parts today to pickup 1 spark plug because i bought 8 of them but misplaced one. It's a NGK V power TR55 and i even brought the plug in. Took about 10 minutes just to get a spark plug "is this going in a car?" then i had to tell him the year make and model of the car... for a friggen spark plug.

Then last month i took my truck to get the front tires balanced. They started asking me "what's it doing? etc etc" I did mine own diagnosis on the problem I simply came to them to balance the tires because i do not own a tire balancing machine to do it myself. They just assume people don't know anything and it's actually rude.

I avoid parts stores at all costs and usually order online like from rockauto but i'm not going order 1 spark plug online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 PM

505 posts, read 846,924 times
That's why I rarely just walk in off the street, unless I need something misc. like washer fluid. I order online (using discount codes), come in, pick up my parts and walk out w/out the annoying chit-chat and 21 questions.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:38 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I know exactly what you mean.
A couple years ago a new parts store opened here, so when a light bulb (sealed beam) burned out I thought I would give them a try. I took the old bulb (3 inch sealed beam fog light) with me, and asked the counter man for "One just like that." He immediately said "What is it out of?" I knew I was in trouble, but I said "2002 Fleeetwood Southwind motorhome."
He said "I don't have parts for those!" He didn't even bother to look at the manufacturer's part number on the back of the old bulb. If the vehicle isn't in the computer, they don't have parts for it, period!
I have never been back to that Autozone store. Why bother, they don't have ANY parts for a Class A motorhome, the counterman said so!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:45 PM

Forgot to say i was getting irritated with it being such a difficult deal to find a spark plug but then he finally found it.... Then i whip out the cash and figure i'm out but no... "phone number please" Felt like saying 867-5309 or 555-5555 just cause i thought i was on candid camera or something lol

Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 PM

141 posts, read 105,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Everytime i go in these places and ask for a certain part they start talking about stuff and trying to tell me stuff I already know. Why do these places assume everyone who goes in there doesn't know what they are doing? Mechanics shop there too.
I work in IT and sadly most people don't know what is going on. I'm almost assuming the given auto parts store is told to be "customer service" friendly which means getting the right part and not have some irate customer come back and claim they were ripped off, even though the guy behind the counter gave the customer what they said.

With that being said, I've never experienced this issue and I've got obscure parts like the fan blower resistor block. I basically told them what I needed (along with the year and make\model of my car) and they got the correct part for me without questioning me.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:04 PM

141 posts, read 105,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Forgot to say i was getting irritated with it being such a difficult deal to find a spark plug but then he finally found it.... Then i whip out the cash and figure i'm out but no... "phone number please" Felt like saying 867-5309 or 555-5555 just cause i thought i was on candid camera or something lol
If you have a part with any sort of warranty, give them your name and number. This saved me buying a new battery when I broke down in the middle of nowhere Iowa and my battery failed. Autozone replaced it under warranty with just my phone number and a photo ID.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
If you have a part with any sort of warranty, give them your name and number. This saved me buying a new battery when I broke down in the middle of nowhere Iowa and my battery failed. Autozone replaced it under warranty with just my phone number and a photo ID.
I've been in auto parts stores for over 20 years it's not my first picnic but thanks

Old 12-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Find a different parts store. I have 3 within 20 minutes, but have never had that problem. They just give me my part and take my money, as it should be.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
when buying parts, i dont mind the year make model engine size stuff, i realize that parts counter people are generally not that well educated, and have to follow computer prompts so they can get the list of parts from various manufacturers.

what i dislike is a parts person that doesnt write anything down when they know i am ordering a bunch of parts, or the manager refusing to sell me an alternator until he test my battery, and that wont happen for at least 24 hours.

i care about customer service, but i also care about getting the parts i need in a timely manner. this is why not only will i never set foot in an autozone ever again, if that company burned to the ground tomorrow, i will buy the beer to celebrate, same with jiffy lube.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:36 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I used to sell parts. 99% of the people who walk in the door think that they're experts. 98% don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. So don't blame the guy at the counter, blame the 300 douchebags he's already dealt with this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive