Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:21 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,086,067 times

Advertisements

My dad had these in the backseat of his 1977 Cadillac Fleetwood. It was great to be able to read while on long road trips!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 01:30 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Full set of accurate gauges is missing from a lot of modern cars...
With actual numbers on them, no less. I want to see the actual engine RPMs, actual temperature of the coolant, the actual pressure of the engine oil, and the actual voltage of the battery.

I particularly dislike it when manufacturers fail to install a pyrometer, a boost gauge, and a fuel pressure gauge on diesel powered vehicles.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:32 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I miss the CD player. My current car (2016 Charger) does not have one... and I guess I am not high tech enough to have fully given up my disks.
I know many who want tape players and a tape holding consoles. Now that I have everything USB, I'm guessing it's about time for them to outdate that.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:43 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
This. Full-size spares ought to be mandatory.
Being dropped due to weight, run flat tires and drivers leaning towards just calling roadside assistance to tow it in.

Jeep includes a full size spare with both off road packages for the Grand Cherokee. I've had to use it once when I picked up a bolt.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My dad's 1957 Chrysler New Yorker wagon had an underdash record player. No, I don't miss that, but I do miss the real 392 hemi under the hood on that beast.
I was thinking of this option as a friends dad had this too...

He was describing it to someone at a party and the guy said I have a friend with one and it turned out to be the same car bought new by my friends dad all those years ago...

Old 12-05-2016, 01:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I miss dual fender mounted spare tires, window shades and Crystal bud vases... all things on my Model A Town Sedan...

I could add hand crank to start but I really don't miss that.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:14 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Split bench seats. Button and tufted velour seats (think mid 1980s Chrysler New Yorker).
They were comfy for an hour or two, but after that the lack of lumbar or lateral (thigh) support became painfully obvious. Velour.....I don't miss....cloth, maybe, but not velour.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
All three of our cars have the "cornering" light feature. The headlights don't actually turn (I don't know any model of car where that happens, except for the original Tucker) but when you turn the steering wheel, another bulb lights up to illuminate the corner.

One thing I miss... an actual powered antenna. All my cars now have integrated antennas, either in the windshield, or rear glass, or rear spoiler, and it seems to me I got much better reception back when cars used to have an actual antenna that went up.

Other than that, I think modern cars have generally improved upon older cars in every way.
One of the most common names for headlights that turn based on steering input is "Adaptive Lighting System" or something similar. I know it's optional on numerous Mazda models.

As for power antennas, I hated them because they always broke (wouldn't go up/down or got stuck in between) after a year or two. On two of my mom's mid-80s Oldsmobiles and my '85 Nissan 300ZX, they were all locked at half mast (and the motor was shot).

A lot of newer cars have a small 'shark fin' antenna on the roof and it seems to work very well. I agree that the ones integrated into the rear window are horrible.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How about any spare?
EXACTLY! A can of 'Fix-a-flat' and a cheap air compressor doesn't cut it!

The 'run-flat' tires on some cars (most/all BMWs, for example) are not a good solution either. They ride rough (due to the sidewall being so rigid that it can support the car without any air in the tire) and once you drive on a flat, it's shot. You're stuck buying a new $300+ tire...

Give me a freakin' spare tire (a donut is fine), a jack and a lug wrench and I'm a happy camper!

Old 12-06-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You mean that soft spongy steering common on older US cars where you could turn the wheel with your pinky? That is one thing I do not miss....
I don't miss the old spongy steering that gave no feedback and had at least 1/8th of a turn of play when you were driving in a straight line.

But I do kinda miss Honda's early speed-sensitive power steering (from the 80s). I had an '88 Accord that you could turn with one finger at parking lot speeds, but no power assist above 35-40mph. It was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive