Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:13 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 05:33 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
"Filling out a credit app" does not equal "pulling credit." This concept seems incredibly difficult for you, but just because you do the first part doesn't automatically mean the second part happens. The credit application also gathers all of the information a dealer needs to title the vehicle, which is likely why they want it filled out - as I said, laziness.

Of course, in your misleading quotes, you just happen also leave out the more important part of the OP:

"Dealership says they need to me to fill out a credit app, without the SSN," which directly correlates with the portion you highlighted as your "proof":

"They said they cant pull my credit anyway with my SSN.
Is this true?"

Sorry it's inconvenient for you that the OP and what was actually said don't fit into the narrative you're so desperately trying to force here, but cherry-picking only certain portions of the OP really doesn't help you much.
Wow, chill the **** out. You said this,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Literally nothing in the OP said the dealership wants to run his credit. Nothing.
what did you get mad because its right in the title? Its not my thread, its not my question.

Couldn't they get all the information they need from his drivers license?

Its not my agenda.. Either way it doesn't fit. The only thing that makes COMMON SENSE is that they are going to TRY to run his credit. It DOESNT MAKE COMMON SENSE, that a dealership would rather get all that information just for a title as opposed to getting that information to try to run a credit check and upsell.

& "highlighted proof"??? You mean where I highlighted the thread title for you..

Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I'm sure due to anti money laundering they need your SS number, whether they pull your report or not.
Not sure... when I was at the dealership we sold cars to foreign students at Cal all the time... they wanted wheels for summer road trips and they did not have SS#

Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buytheredcar View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before.
Im looking for a used car. Cash deal, I dont want my credit pulled and I dont want to give them my SSN, since I'm not looking to finance.

Dealership says they need to me to fill out a credit app, without the SSN. They said they need it to title the car.
I dont want a hard pull since Im looking for a good mortgage rate.

They said they cant pull my credit anyway with my SSN.
Is this true?

I end it up walking but seems like I may have to budge...
Any comments would be appreciated.
I find it rather interesting that nobody bothered to ask what state the OP is residing in.
Automobile registration and titling is VERY state specific.
I have purchased vehicle from dealers in CA, where the dealer is the DMV agent, and collects all the title and registration fees, as well as sales tax. Even if you do not live in CA, when you buy from a dealer you pay the sales tax.
I have purchased vehicles in Montana, where the dealer takes the paperwork to the court house, and the DMV sends a postcard to the buyer to come in and finish the registration and titling.
In the last couple of years I have bought two trucks from dealers. I paid $3700 for one of them, wrote a personal check for that amount, and drove off with the truck. A week later I got the postcard from the DMV office, and went in to get the plates.
The other truck I paid $9000 for, gave the dealer a check from the Credit Union, and drove off. This time it took two weeks to get the postcard and go to the DMV to finish the registration.
Any dealer purchase gets a temporary paper registration, good for 40 days.
the license plates do not stay on the vehicle.

The only way to tell what the dealer is trying to pull (if anything) is to know what the normal DMV procedures are in the state where the deal is going down. Without that knowledge, we can just guess. Here in Montana I would say the dealer is trying to pull some kind of shennanegans, because there is NO need for any credit application for a cash sale, and the dealer does not handle the title transfer. That is done at the DMV office at the court house.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:54 PM

Sales Tax is only due if the vehicle is "Delivered" in California.

Part of my job was delivering cars at the Stateline... didn't happen often and most of the time it was to Lake Tahoe Nevada side... as long as the Dealer delivered the car outside the State no California Tax due...

Just like buying a car outside the State... no California Tax due until the car enters California.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:22 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
The only thing that makes COMMON SENSE is that they are going to TRY to run his credit.
But it doesn't make sense. Common sense, incense, any kind of sense.

They don't need a credit app to run a soft pull, which is a summary credit report. All the information they need is name & address. No direct authorization is required. So, there is absolutely no reason for them to waste time dinking around with a credit app if that's the intent, they'd just take the information from his driver's license and DO IT.

To run a hard credit inquiry, which is a detailed credit report, they need a Social Security number. But they aren't asking for one. So obviously a hard inquiry isn't their intention.

So the idea that they want this credit app filled out in order to run his credit doesn't wash, which leaves some kind of ulterior motive. I'm still leaning toward fine print that allows them to sell his contact information.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not sure... when I was at the dealership we sold cars to foreign students at Cal all the time... they wanted wheels for summer road trips and they did not have SS#
What year was that?

Old 12-06-2016, 07:53 PM

The Dealership closed it's doors in 2013 after being in business since 1940.

The owner also dealt in high value mustangs that often were transported to out of State with DOT Licensed Transporter picking up and delivering dealer to door.

I've bought cars from Dealers in other states and used common carrier haulers to transport my purchase to California where I needed to have VIN verified, pay tax and license fees in California.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:07 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
But it doesn't make sense. Common sense, incense, any kind of sense.

They don't need a credit app to run a soft pull, which is a summary credit report. All the information they need is name & address. No direct authorization is required. So, there is absolutely no reason for them to waste time dinking around with a credit app if that's the intent, they'd just take the information from his driver's license and DO IT.

To run a hard credit inquiry, which is a detailed credit report, they need a Social Security number. But they aren't asking for one. So obviously a hard inquiry isn't their intention.

So the idea that they want this credit app filled out in order to run his credit doesn't wash, which leaves some kind of ulterior motive. I'm still leaning toward fine print that allows them to sell his contact information.
No it doesn't make sense, and yes they can get what they need off a drivers license.... for a title or a credit check..

So please tell me, WHY it makes more sense to think anything other than, they were working towards trying to finance.. and what that would be?

IMO its sneaky, and once they have him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEAZY USED CAR SALESMAN
"just fill out a credit app", then once the ball is rolling "now just add in his social" so he can "get financed on something so much better".
I think they were just trying to work towards it, and most likely had already ran the credit check

Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sales Tax is only due if the vehicle is "Delivered" in California.

Part of my job was delivering cars at the Stateline... didn't happen often and most of the time it was to Lake Tahoe Nevada side... as long as the Dealer delivered the car outside the State no California Tax due...

Just like buying a car outside the State... no California Tax due until the car enters California.
I bought a truck in Atascadero. do you have any idea what it would have cost to have the dealer deliver it in Nevada, then turn around and drive back to Oceano where we were staying?
Not worth it.
a few years later I bought a Jeep in Porterville. Again, do you realize what it would have cost to have it delivered to Nevada, the drive back to where we were staying?
Again, not worth it.
I bought a Chrysler convertible in Grass Valley, from the Nevada owner. No problem, no taxes, drove it to Montana, did the paperwork, got the Montana plates, and returned to Grass Valley.
Luckily, my son moved to Nevada, so I will probably never return to CA, and certainly won't be buying any more vehicles there.
the fact remains, without knowing where the OP lives, we can not advise him. We simply do not know the procedures in his state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive