Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,532 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
First off, I'm wondering how common is it for a dealer to damage your car while it's in for service? Last visit I got several scrapes on the side of the car. This time, the rear is scraped. Aside from having them fix it, anything else I should do? Does this cause a decrease in the car's value? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,532 times
P.S. I do have pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them. TY!

Old 12-06-2016, 09:17 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Add this to the list of reasons I never go to the dealer unless it involves a recall. I do my own maintenance. That way I know it was done right.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:55 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,571 times
Unfortunately this is very common as I know someone who got his Porsche damaged and the Porsche dealer and it wasn't just a small scratch, it was significant scratches as if they were trying to squeeze into a parking spot and scrapped the side of the bumper.

I've also noticed scratches after my car would come from the car wash, which is why I asked what kind of brushes does the carwash at the dealer I bought my new vehicle from use because continued use of poorly made brushes will breakdown the paint over time and cause it to chip.

The only thing you can do is take and keep the pictures, also keep the repair forms of the damage that was fixed. Yes it does bring the value down because everytime your car is repaired/serviced at the dealer, there is a record of it because that's what they will refer too when you report anything that you want to use your warranty for or when you decide to trade. Also not many people know that getting your vehicle serviced elsewhere can automatically void your warranty, so although you can stop going there make sure you choose the same dealer brand because if anything goes wrong and you go back to the dealer, the first thing they're going to do is check the records and ask if anyone else has serviced the vehicle and at that point you're forever at their mercy and will often charge you more for having to go behind someone else's work.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Unfortunately this is very common as I know someone who got his Porsche damaged and the Porsche dealer and it wasn't just a small scratch, it was significant scratches as if they were trying to squeeze into a parking spot and scrapped the side of the bumper.

I've also noticed scratches after my car would come from the car wash, which is why I asked what kind of brushes does the carwash at the dealer I bought my new vehicle from use because continued use of poorly made brushes will breakdown the paint over time and cause it to chip.

The only thing you can do is take and keep the pictures, also keep the repair forms of the damage that was fixed. Yes it does bring the value down because everytime your car is repaired/serviced at the dealer, there is a record of it because that's what they will refer too when you report anything that you want to use your warranty for or when you decide to trade. Also not many people know that getting your vehicle serviced elsewhere can automatically void your warranty, so although you can stop going there make sure you choose the same dealer brand because if anything goes wrong and you go back to the dealer, the first thing they're going to do is check the records and ask if anyone else has serviced the vehicle and at that point you're forever at their mercy and will often charge you more for having to go behind someone else's work.
Nope. But they can void it if the place you chose uses the wrong items, ex wrong oil or filter.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:06 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strollequeen View Post
Hi all,
First off, I'm wondering how common is it for a dealer to damage your car while it's in for service? Last visit I got several scrapes on the side of the car. This time, the rear is scraped. Aside from having them fix it, anything else I should do? Does this cause a decrease in the car's value? Thanks!
If you own a GM car, it's very common LOL

Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post

It is against federal law to require you to use only the dealer for servicing. You can get any routine maintenance done anywhere you want. Or, you can do it yourself. Just keep your receipts. It will not void your warranty. Whoever told you that should read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:05 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It is against federal law to require you to use only the dealer for servicing. You can get any routine maintenance done anywhere you want. Or, you can do it yourself. Just keep your receipts. It will not void your warranty. Whoever told you that should read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act.
Don't you go bringing facts into this!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive