Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:57 PM

245 posts, read 503,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Can someone explain to me why they're going the swap cars route vs 'fix the paperwork'?

Is it alot more work to change the paperwork to the VIN that she already has? I'd think that would be the way they would want to do it, and probably how the 'owner' of the vehicle would prefer it be handled..

So.. What are the reasons to NOT do that?
I think that the reason is that if the VIN of the car they still have is considered to be registered even though I haven't gone to the DMV yet to finish things, that one is now considered a used car and cannot be registered for someone else now as "new"..so they're going to lose some big bucks on it if I don't swap the cars with them.

To the others that have asked, it has 300 miles on it now.

The Accord I have is just the base model with nothing extra on it. The other one should just be the base model too unless they've already added their dealer markup crap to it (which is likely since it has been sitting on the lot for weeks now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 04:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
It has been a month so all that paperwork cant be unwound. If he has a loan the bank already thinks they have processed a loan on the other VIN and the state has already down title processing on the other VIN. At this point it is most likely only possible to switch cars then to unwind that paperwork.

It doesnt matter what they have added to it. They'll take off whatever accesories arent glued on or nailed down that you didnt pay for before they swap. You might get free glass etch or scotchguard but thats it.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:22 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
If they are identical I say go with what the dealer offered. Maybe up it to 5 oil changes.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
Trust but verify. I would drive over in a different vehicle and talk to them and look at the other vehicle first. Just a little fact finding and I would want to see that the other vehicle is in the condition I would expect to see. If all checks out, drive the car over the next day.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:43 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
I bought a new Honda almost a month ago. The local DMV called earlier this week that they finally have the paperwork on it in and I can can come down and take care of that when I get a chance.

Just got a call from the dealership that I need to return the car to them. As in give it back. They had 2 2017 white Accords on the lot and say they gave me the wrong one. They want to swap out the cars. The contract has the other car's VIN number on it and so does the DMV paperwork...I just checked the VIN & it does not match. When I called my insurance company last month I took the VIN off the contract rather than off the car so I never noticed it. Supposedly the cars are identical.

Since the dealer is an hour away they're going to drive the other car over and swap them out here.

I expect that the real reason they really want this vehicle back is that if they just change the paperwork, the other car is still going to show as sold and they'll have to take a real bath on it and sell it as used since it has been registered...no?

For my trouble they're offering me 4 free oil changes (synthetic oil so it would cost me in the neighborhood of $80 each if I have it changed locally)...but I have to drive 50 miles each way for them..
I would cooperate and exchange the cars. There might be a bad outcome if any insurance claim were made and you still had the wrong car. And make sure they aren't giving you a car with less add-ons. The mix-up was their mistake, not yours. I'd hold them up to include any extras that were on the car you've had. So it would be best if you drove to their location, so there would be the tools and mechanics to swap whatever might be involved. Are people nowadays incapable of changing their own oil?

Old 12-09-2016, 04:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Weird situation. It's not you car to keep, though, as weird as it sounds. So you kind of do have to give it back and take your actual car. The service offer isn't too bad.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:12 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Swap the cars, no biggie. Since the DMV already has the correct Vin# I think it would be of a hassle on your end. I would ask for something in addition to your oil changes though. Especially if you have to dive 50 miles for them. Maybe they should throw in a free extended warranty or something like that!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:46 PM

211 posts, read 409,480 times
If it were me I would just drive it out there, and do the swap, no problem. It is a nice offer of them to deliver the correct car to you, but personally i would rather go to the dealer and give the new car a once over...just to make sure no storage scratches/damage, which i doubt you will have.

But, since you are 50 miles away I would try and see if they might be willing to change the free oil changes for something like a set of factory floor mats, the body side molding, tank of free gas, can of touch up paint....something along those lines.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:10 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
I think that the reason is that if the VIN of the car they still have is considered to be registered even though I haven't gone to the DMV yet to finish things, that one is now considered a used car and cannot be registered for someone else now as "new"..so they're going to lose some big bucks on it if I don't swap the cars with them.

To the others that have asked, it has 300 miles on it now.

The Accord I have is just the base model with nothing extra on it. The other one should just be the base model too unless they've already added their dealer markup crap to it (which is likely since it has been sitting on the lot for weeks now).
If they've added any "dealer markup crap" to the other car, have them leave it on instead of the oil changes. Or get new floor mats if you don't have them already.
Like others have said, the other car is the one titled in your name. The one you have they can take back and either make it a service loaner or sell it as a demonstrator. Some snafu! Someone's butt is in a sling.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I ran into this with a used purchase, and had it for 3 months before I figured it out by a call f m a police department several cities away, investigating a crime in which our car was witnessed in the area. The plates the cop gave me were not on ours, so I checked and our plates didn't match the registration. The dealer worked with the DOL and got the paperwork fixed, in about 3 days, and I sent the new paperwork to our insurance, no big deal. I doubt they would sway cars rather than do the pap rework without some other motivation. Perhaps they got a deal on the one they have there, and you got a good price, so they are losing money on the one you have. Still, I'd just do it and move on, I see no downside for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive