Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:46 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I sure wouldn't be comfortable with some random person driving 50 miles in my brand new car. I'd go pick it up myself.
It's not some random person, it's an employee of a dealership - they drive vehicles between dealerships all the time. Not to mention this is a car sitting on a dealer lot, which could easily have been driven more than 50 miles by all kinds of random people if it was taken for test drives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 02:07 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
50 miles?
Good grief! Here in Montana there are people who drive further than that to get to the grocery store or post office.
Just go do the swap.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:28 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,931,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
I bought a new Honda almost a month ago. The local DMV called earlier this week that they finally have the paperwork on it in and I can can come down and take care of that when I get a chance.

Just got a call from the dealership that I need to return the car to them. As in give it back. They had 2 2017 white Accords on the lot and say they gave me the wrong one. They want to swap out the cars. The contract has the other car's VIN number on it and so does the DMV paperwork...I just checked the VIN & it does not match. When I called my insurance company last month I took the VIN off the contract rather than off the car so I never noticed it. Supposedly the cars are identical.

Since the dealer is an hour away they're going to drive the other car over and swap them out here.

I expect that the real reason they really want this vehicle back is that if they just change the paperwork, the other car is still going to show as sold and they'll have to take a real bath on it and sell it as used since it has been registered...no?

For my trouble they're offering me 4 free oil changes (synthetic oil so it would cost me in the neighborhood of $80 each if I have it changed locally)...but I have to drive 50 miles each way for them..
Sounds like an honest mistake. Now you can get the same car and erase the miles you've already driven so I'd go ahead with the swap.

Instead of the oil changes ask them to add an extended warranty of some sort, powertrain or maybe extending the bumper to bumper by another year or two. Just make sure these are Honda factory warranties and not some aftermarket third-party plan.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:06 AM

245 posts, read 503,533 times
The dealer sent the salesman to drive the second Honda over to me. I asked him who gets the blame on this one and he said it was the sales manager's fault -- he was supposed to check the VIN number but that didn't happen. I would not have driven an hour each way to swap the vehicles; but they offered to drive it here before I could tell them I wouldn't do it. The sales guy verified that they couldn't sell it (the car on the lot) as a new vehicle if I hadn't swapped them since the paperwork had been sent in to the DMV.

I didn't take a test drive when I originally bought it. We also have a 2014 Accord and it is essentially the same car.

The two white Accords are both the base models with nothing added on so the stickers were the same on both - $23,990. The only difference was that the original had gold striping and the 2nd car has black striping. So there was no problem with their being anything missing on the second car.

The only odd thing was that he drove over the second car with no dealer plate or temporary tag. We moved the temp tag over to the 2nd car (since the VIN number now matches) and he drove the original car back to the dealership the same way. He said they don't care in their county but they would give him a problem if he happened to get stopped in this county for having no tag..

Old 12-11-2016, 05:12 AM

245 posts, read 503,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
For God's sake DRIVE the fifty freakin' miles and get the new car.
Take a friend or spouse.
DRIVE the replacement car at low speeds and highway.
Make sure that you are getting a NEW car. Never titled. Make them do a Carfax OR view the Certificate of Origin (the paper before a car is titled).

Do check with the DMV and you may have to pay all sorts of taxes and registration fees all over again. In some states there are 3 sales taxes. Town, County, and state. Best to get your ducks in order.
The VIN now matches the original paperwork so there aren't any taxes or registration due again. The paperwork did make it to the local DMV office a few days ago. They did call to say they had it & I could come in to get the registration, etc. I don't believe that on any of the past new car purchases that a DMV employee actually went out to the car to check the VIN number. So it would have gone unnoticed if I had taken the car in to them last week.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:49 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
It is a moot point. You bought the other car. They have essentially been letting you use the car in your possession as a trial. It is to your advantage to make the exchange no matter what.

oops-did not read that last page where it is now a done deal

Old 12-11-2016, 07:29 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
I've been in the car business for 5 years and this does occasionally happen.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 AM

352 posts, read 387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee;464646icic 99
I sure wouldn't be comfortable with some random person driving 50 miles in my brand new car. I'd go pick it up myself.
Are you kidding, dealers swap cars every day. Western NJ to Long Island, upstate NY, Hudson Valley, etc. My retired friend is a swap driver for a local dealer, he's always busy; just last week drove a new pickup from central PA to Eastern NY. My last new vehicle was driven 210 miles to me because they didn't have the title paperwork (MCO/MSO) available the day I went to pick it up.

If I were the OP I would take the deal for the synthetic oil changes and not be a ball breaker, maybe ask for one additional. The Accord only calls for syn-blend, full synthetic is a hefty up charge.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:22 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
50 miles?
Good grief! Here in Montana there are people who drive further than that to get to the grocery store or post office.
Just go do the swap.
LOL.. keep in mind everyone adapts to their environment. Some people live in dense metro areas or cities where they don't have to travel very far to get to everything, like my father. To them a 50 mile drive seems like a big deal and they complain about it.

For me, a 60 mile drive is par for the course if I want to enjoy a nice meal and bike ride in Sioux Falls, and I think nothing of it. Of course population density is lower and I cruise at 85 with little traffic. That's a lot different than 50 miles of stop and go traffic with lots of stopsigns or stoplights in between.

I would go get the car myself.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:14 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Here is the concern, if you drive the car back to the dealership, you are driving an unregistered, uninsured vehicle. You said yourself that the DMV had the 'other' VIN and you gave the VIN to your insurance using the contract. If you were to be pulled over, or in an accident, you would have a big mess on your hands. Let them drive the new vehicle to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive