Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:31 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times

Advertisements

You are in Memphis, where cars don't rust. You also probably won't drive all that much so gas mileage is irrelevant. And you want cheap insurance. I'd find a 150-200k mile Toyota 4Runner with a good maintenance history (as for receipts). Get it checked out (worth the money) and you should be able to find a great reliable car for $2500-3000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Anything Toyota.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 PM

217 posts, read 283,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Well, that is a good attitude.
Don't worry. I'm panicking on the inside.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:07 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
I'm talking about only a few hundred in the bank, no experience driving, moving out on my own for the first time. I need a vehicle, but I'm afraid of getting a used car because I don't want to get something that's just going to be plagued with problems, become a financial burden, and then I have to somehow sell it and drop another few thousand dollars on another one.

I'm afraid of getting an expensive car that I have to make down payments on because I don't want to get trapped into a financial commitment and contract that I'm not prepared to go into only to possibly not find a job where I'm going, and now have to scramble to find a job and pay for a new place to live AND a vehicle I can barely afford, all just to keep from getting delinquent debts and hurting my credit score which would make it even HARDER to get another vehicle AND a place to live.

I've considered a moped or a bicycle, but it seems like there's few places in the U.S. where that is realistic.
Under 25 and no driving experience, you car insurance would cost you more than a car payment would, even if you bought a 2 year old Nissan Versa, Chevy Sonic, Chevy Spark or Ford Fiesta.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
Well, do you have any suggestions as to where I go, then?
If Memphis is where you live then there is public transit options=
https://www.google.ca/search?site=&s...k1.QA3-GWoMVbo

Old 12-12-2016, 05:16 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Depending on where you live and how often you need--really need--to travel by car, your least burden transportation option could be using the bus and/or Uber or Lyft.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:50 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
You are in Memphis, where cars don't rust. You also probably won't drive all that much so gas mileage is irrelevant. And you want cheap insurance. I'd find a 150-200k mile Toyota 4Runner with a good maintenance history (as for receipts). Get it checked out (worth the money) and you should be able to find a great reliable car for $2500-3000.
Is the $2500 he needs to buy it going to fall out of the sky?

OP might just have to work and go to school at the same time. Believe it or not, people actually do this.
I worked as a 3rd shift security guard when I went to school. There was no one around and I could do my homework while I was at work.
Good job for a student. I'd work/do homework all night, go to class in the morning, go to sleep, go back to class at night, go to work, repeat.
I worked security on the weekend, too. No days off. I always seemed to have more money than most of my classmates because I had no time to spend it!

And I had a old, dirt cheap car. It got the job done.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-12-2016 at 06:35 AM..

Old 12-12-2016, 10:24 AM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
What we used to do was buy really cheap used cars. People sell them for whatever reason for cheap if they don't want to deal with the car....I have found that you don't know what is going to happen with a used car. It can last for ages, or not.

I have bought cheap used cars and they lasted for a while. One lasted for years....Conversely an expensive used car broke down the same day, it didn't even make it home.

It is just a suggestion that worked for us, at least for a while.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,606 times
Nashville is one of the hottest of the revitalizing areas of the south, full of young hipsters working hard and playing hard. If you can find a way to get back into college then go for it! Most jobs you seem interested in require that type of documented self-discipline. As for on-line classes that's great you've done well in these as they are typically more work and project heavy than sitting in a traditional college classroom. You need to get copies of all of your transcripts so you are ahead of the game because "advisors" are not necessarily "knowers." As for your credit score, start paying some nominal amount of rent, and have your folks give you receipts. In lieu of traditional credit cards etc... you need some type of proof that you are responsible enough to be a "risk" should you approach a small credit union or start up bank for a small personal loan (which you can then pay off and begin a new way to build credit). Finally, try to find a city/place to land with good public transportation. While waiting for a bus may be time consuming you can network, make friends, and learn about interesting opportunities. Best of luck, remain open and positive! 🙂

Old 12-12-2016, 10:55 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
The OP says he only has a few hundred in the bank and people recommending him $6-12k cars.

The only viable option is to get a bike, you can pickup a decent bike for $400-600 that saves gas and you can ride it to work.

For a car, $500-1200 cars do exist and you do need to know how to check and maintain them before getting one.

I have seen very good cars for $800-1500 if you know what to look for and just some general car skills to fix and maintain.

The best bang for the buck are cars that have very good reliability and high miles. This is opposite of people says old cars and low miles because those don't come cheap either. High mileage old cars, if well maintained can be bought dirt cheap.

There are people running a 1990 Corolla with 198k mi for $450 and the thing still runs and gets 38mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive