Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:56 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,943,481 times

Advertisements

Late 2015 seen a huge slump in gas prices. I took advantage and bought a 1989 Kentworth 120 gallon fuel tank from a totaled Kentworth.

Decided I better use the gas before the ethanol separated. I use PRI-G gasoline stabilizer but ethanol is ethanol (crap). I used about 60 gallons of the 120 gallons over the past two months. The tank is empty now. About sixty gallons disappeared into thin air it seems.

Do these tanks tend to have very high evaporation rates? The fuel tank cap is a locking key type. Yes it could be picked easily enough but that seems more unlikely than likely. Though I do go out of town regularly and my neighbor does steal and vandalize with regularity.

Right now I am thinking that I should silicone the areas where leakage is likely. For example, there is a slender 4" knob type thingie that got bent a little bit while being handled. The 4" knob thingie looks like it could be a pressure equalization thing.

Perhaps large truck fuel tanks have high evaporation rates so that pressure can not build?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 12:01 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,680,578 times
60 gallons disappear from a tank you know you have a thief for a neighbor...

Old 12-11-2016, 01:33 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,999,721 times
the KW diesel tank is not a sealed system tank like a gasoline tank, it's a vented tank.

I wouldn't be surprised if your tank evaporated several gallons per month of the more volatile portions of the gasoline.

There's your 60 gallon loss. Keep in mind that the useful capacity of that diesel tank is not the total theoretical volume of the containment; ie, there's room in the top of the tank for the foaming when fueling and expansion of the fuel in a full tank. So you may have "filled the tank to the brim of the filler port", but not had 120 gallons in a "120 gallon" tank.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:36 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,397,553 times
Pressure test for leakage.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
60 gallons disappear from a tank you know you have a thief for a neighbor...
That is my current conclusion. Based on the fact that the tank was almost full about two months ago when I started using the gas.

Still....it seems remarkable that someone would pick a lock, albeit a simple lock, for gasoline.

Going to try it again while keeping more accurate records of usage. I had thought that the fence and the locking Velvac fuel cap would be enough.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,672,293 times
Kid drivers at home or in Neighborhood?

You mention it 'appeared' near full when you started using a few months ago.

1/2 tank would have looked like 1/2 tank...

Do you have a pump? or is it gravity feed (elevated)

No leaks?

In the shade during summer, or full sun? (Expansion + evaporation)

Old 12-11-2016, 09:15 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,549,384 times
Do you actually know what you used, from measure, or are you guessing?

Old 12-11-2016, 09:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,053,827 times
Mr. CSD would guess you have a thief and the tank is not from a *KenTworth* it is a *Kenworth*.
The thief theory depends on several variables that may or may not be present.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Do you actually know what you used, from measure, or are you guessing?
Every two weeks for the past eight weeks.... have filled up in Denver and driven approx 220 miles. Then refilled from the Kenworth fuel tank. Getting almost 20 mpg, that would be about 11 gallons on four occasions....or 44 of the 120 gallons. Used a larger truck for one trip, that could have taken about 22 gallons to refill. So we are up to 55 gallons plus the fact that I did not completely and absolutely top off the 120 gallon tank.

Sticking with 60 gallons missing. The fuel cap uses a small, simple key. I'm sure it is easily picked. This time I will tape the gas cap after each usage.

I have a couple neighbors that are obsessed with my property. One of them said this to another neighbor "He leaves lights on to make it look like he is there. His place is filled with "******** ******** (items of some value)."

Vandalism is his/their favorite thing. Used an axe to make a hole in the steel siding. Kicked out a camper window. Scratched up a new concrete job. Dented a car.

With goats and alpacas, it is hard to use trip wires etc. I can't say how much I hate thieves....

Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 AM

254 posts, read 432,012 times
Fill the tank with Diesel. Or Soda. Or half gasoline/half water. Whatever. Let the neighbor steal it again and see if he's all-of-a-sudden replacing the engine in his car. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive