Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:48 PM

486 posts, read 832,395 times

Advertisements

I think is a a it not broken don't fix issue. I think money would be better spent on improving signage or improving road capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 02:05 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Was in Taiwan recently, and they have timers that count down on their traffic signals. I'm sure many here will treat it similar to dragstrip christmas tree... but I thought the idea was nice.

For the most part, I know I use the cross walk timers for the same purpose.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:08 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihXeWEXCgJk

Old 12-13-2016, 02:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I'm fairly certain that in ALL STATES yellow means stop if you possibly can in a safe manner and in no state does it MEAN floor it.
Don't know what country your talking about, but here in the USA when approaching an intersection and you see the signal tun to orange, that means Git It On Up or your stuck sitting through the red. Sure we are supposed to slow and stop, but reality is; floor it!

Old 12-13-2016, 02:18 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I stop at the read light and wait for the crossing traffic, if any, to finish. Then I count to three and drive off on the green light. I have been known to indulge in a bit of competitive driving when some kid in a rice rocket tries to out accelerate an old Buick Wagon. My car was across the intersection before the kid started to move. He was shut down by Santa Claus.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I'm fairly certain that in ALL STATES yellow means stop if you possibly can in a safe manner and in no state does it MEAN floor it.
The technical legal rule, I believe, is you must be able to clear the downstream side of the intersection before it turns red. Otherwise technically you are in violation of the law and can get a ticket. However there is no prohibition against speeding up if in your judgement it is more practical to jet through than to try to stop when you may not be able to complete the stop before entering the intersection. People take advantage of this.

You better know and follow what the drivers do and expect in your given region. Kind of like how the speed limit is 70, but if you are in the fast lane driving below 75 you may get a ticket for impeding traffic.
The law of physics overrules the law of the State every time. If you jam on your brakes in front of an accelerating car, you are going to get hit. It will not make you less injured or fix your car if they get a ticket.

In Michigan, people usually stop on yellow, even if it means jamming on the brakes. In California, yellow means floor it or you will not get through. You stop on yellow and you have a very good chance of getting rear ended, as nearly every visiting relative and friend from Michigan discovered when they visited. Since returning, I still tend to gun it for yellow, but not if someone is in front of me (in California, the next three or four cars tend to punch it when the light turns yellow and they expect the people in front of them to do the same.)

Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Looks like a nightmare for the red-green colorblind.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:19 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Not a good idea. What we have now isn't the problem. The problem are the people in charge who change light timing to improve revenue from tickets and the drivers who either ignore the lights or don't use them properly. Personally I feel there should be a one to two second delay between the time all lanes are red and the next lane goes green. Instead of a left turn lane green light, change it to a yellow arrow light for turn left when oncoming traffic is clear and a green arrow for left turn right of way. Instead of under the road sensors, go with camera sensors. They're easier to maintain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive