Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:51 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The new Volt got a smaller battery pack. It's fine for 4 people.
Compacts aren't really much good for 5 people anyway.

I'd get the Hellcat. Because Hellcat.
I think I saw video where the tester said that Yeah that Hellcat has a real chance of becoming a classic, especially if they stop producing that monster (offense to Snowflakes) motor. I want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 09:05 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Unfortunately modern cars are no longer distinguished by long and reliable service of the mechanicals and the body. The sore spot for many cars in the 20 year old (and newer) range is electronics - they go bad - and when they do the car can be extremely expensive to repair. Dashboards, computers, and wiring harnesses can be fatal to a lot of cars - and I think this is especially true of Japanese models.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:34 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think I saw video where the tester said that.
Yeah... I didn't invent it.
It succinctly sums up all of the reasons you need to buy a Hellcat.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:55 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Unfortunately modern cars are no longer distinguished by long and reliable service of the mechanicals and the body. The sore spot for many cars in the 20 year old (and newer) range is electronics - they go bad - and when they do the car can be extremely expensive to repair. Dashboards, computers, and wiring harnesses can be fatal to a lot of cars - and I think this is especially true of Japanese models.
Hybrids are really electronically complicated, I sure wouldn't buy a old one.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:49 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
In the last 5 years, I have purchased a 2009 Pontiac Torrent, and a 2008 Subaru Impreza. Except for the normal wear and required maintenance items(oil, filter, brakes, tires) I have put more than 80,000 on the vehicles and they have been very reliable.

I have not noticed problems with the electronics except in the area of high exposure to weather(as in the sensors in the tires for tire pressure).

Old 12-17-2016, 08:04 PM

516 posts, read 429,513 times
I suppose I am one of the fortunate ones that can work on my own cars therefore I save a buttload of $$$ on vehicle maintenance. Except for timing belts....I refuse to do those. I will take it to the dealer. Im good on all that work just to do a 45 minute job and then work hunched over for 12 more hours to put it back together.....

Old 12-18-2016, 12:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Lawyers go where the money is. Google Ford Frame rust. Images are much worst than those of the Toyota Frame Rust.

Ford also suffers from random fires, etc etc. But they didn't get sued for it. hmmmm

Ford Fires:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...ies_fires.html

Found on Road Dead. Fix or Repair Daily. LOL
Thanks for this, I did look it up and wasn't aware of the magnitude of Fords frame issues however it's doesn't appear that they are rusting worse than Toyotas or that the problem is as widespread. I dont think Toyota was singled out because they have money, there were simply enough justified and persistent complainers.

As you probably are well aware, Fords track record of ignoring and dodging serious consumer safety issues is long and persistent, with Toyota that really isn't so. Ford imho is deplorable as a company in this respect. Not sure of the specifics of the current Toyota frame settlement but the previous one was quite generous. I do believe Toyota genuinely values their truck customers...unsure if Ford (like Nissan these days) values any of it's customers if history is any indication.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
I have never bought American...only Datsun (1975, 1978) Mazda! Acura and Nissan ( present) . I love the ergonomics and the reliability. Convince me to shop American....My bad....

Mae

Old 12-18-2016, 05:17 PM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Did you buy the car and then learn stick?
I did that. My sister had to test drive it with me as the passenger.
Then you got no choice but to learn!
Too funny! My best friend took the test drive for the 1987 Acura Integra that I loved...I ordered the car and practiced drive her stick until my car came in. I loved that car! to this day it brings fun memories. Pop up windows!

Nae

Old 12-18-2016, 05:35 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I had an '85 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham (the upper trim level of your car) that was dead nuts reliable for the duration that I had it (traded it off at 185k miles). So I can counter YOUR anecdotal evidence with my own.

And my 2013 Chevy Volt was perfectly reliable, economical and had excellent build quality, which is why they have one of the highest owner satisfaction ratings of any modern car. (I've already seen 2011 models go over 200k miles on the Volt forums...)

My 2002 Chevy Suburban is going strong at 135k miles, towing a 35 foot, 9k lb travel trailer all over the east coast. Only trouble I've had with it is environmental (some rust in the brake lines at 120k miles).

My '96 Ford Ranger Splash never needed work in the 3 years I had it, my '99 SVT Contour was likewise flawless (what I traded the Ranger in on). So was my '02 PT Cruiser for the 5 years and 70k miles I had it (what I traded the Contour in on as I needed a more family friendly car at the time).

So yeah, in 38 years I've had a lot of experience with foreign and domestic cars, many with high miles on them.
My 85 caddy left my wife stranded 5 times in 5 years with 55 miles on it. Final two times wife was while she battling what ended up being lupus. It was well maintained but the engine light came on with water in the oil and over heating engine. Cadillac replaced the engine. A few months later, the engine was running rough again as when engine failed and left her stranded once again. This turned out to be a timing belt failure but I expect a car to run not strand her 5 times. Since 1990 I've only owned Japanese cars...stranded once at home with a dead battery otherwise they always ran when started.

Glad you got a good one, I sure didn't and consumer reports indicted the issues were not unusual in this GM product. I'm not looking for fancy trim but a car which will run without basic mechanics issues stranding us along the roadside. This caddy failure swung me away from GM. Sure I hear they are more reliable now, they had to be to survive with the Japanese making cars that didnt fail.

The Vega was another GM legend know to fail. So they lost me as a life long GM buyer after the caddy. I believe the US and euro manufacturing were forced to build more reliable cars by he competition. Why would I reward a follower? I didn't and don't now., and
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive