U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How safe are driverless vehicles? Will they get safer in the future?
Driverless vehicles are safer than human-driven vehicles 10 17.24%
Driverless vehicles aren't safer than human-driven vehicles 11 18.97%
Driverless vehicles will get safer in the future 25 43.10%
Driverless vehicles won't get safer in the future 4 6.90%
I am undecided 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:28 PM

11,995 posts, read 7,975,843 times

Advertisements

No driverless car is safe until all cars become driverless and communicates using computer protocols. You won't need so many sensors once people are not allowed to drive. Then you no longer need to sit in a car with a huge steal frame that weighs a ton or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM

11,398 posts, read 4,078,535 times
Going to be many years of mixed driving. I would think though that the communication package may be a retrofit. Not that expensive and it may provide some help to the human as well as to the computer.

I agree driverless cars cannot reach their full potential until virtually all are...but they will still not a lot better than the humans.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 10,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
No driverless car is safe until all cars become driverless and communicates using computer protocols. You won't need so many sensors once people are not allowed to drive. Then you no longer need to sit in a car with a huge steal frame that weighs a ton or two.
So, when anyone with a laptop and a cheap SDR can cause a massive pileup?

Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGirl42 View Post
So, when anyone with a laptop and a cheap SDR can cause a massive pileup?

It is relatively simple to protect processors from hacking.

At one extreme you require that the physical package be changed.

At a little less you require physically loading the package.

At a little less you require that the package be encoded for that specific machine.

then general encoding. Requiring that code only be accepted from preset sources you call.

Cars will use a set of these. Certain things will be very tight. Others rather loose. Likely your entertainment systems will be vastly more compromise-able than your mechanical systems.

But it reeally is not a difficult problem...just don't take the easy ways.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 PM

12,052 posts, read 7,747,378 times
Driverless cars will not happen in most places.

What will happen is an "Autodrive" mode used while a driver is in the seat.
Same with big trucks.
It'll be safer, but there are some people like me who like to drive. So we'll get to do our thing, too.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 AM

37,385 posts, read 39,015,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. What happens when the snow dust freezes over the camera or rader lense ?
I would imagine they are both heated and/or self cleaning.

Quote:
Or the road is fully covered in snow and there 4" deep ruts that the car now has to navigate ?
Ruts would be something it could easily follow, undriven snow on the other hand could be an issue without precise data or it's precise location. That would require GPS or preloaded terrain maps. The original tech in a Tomahawk missiles followed a terrain map they had loaded into the missile. Once it's fired it can be completely autonomous. There is famous quote from reporter and to paraphrase "it was going down the street and made a left turn".... LOL

Quote:
I know the technology for driverless vehicles is just now really developing ,
Development started more than ten years ago. It's taken that long to get to the point where it can start going mainstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6GrKqOxeU

Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,860,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would imagine they are both heated and/or self cleaning.

Seems like there is issues with it. Although, they are working out solutions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...anes-disappear

Ruts would be something it could easily follow, undriven snow on the other hand could be an issue without precise data or it's precise location. That would require GPS or preloaded terrain maps. The original tech in a Tomahawk missiles followed a terrain map they had loaded into the missile. Once it's fired it can be completely autonomous. There is famous quote from reporter and to paraphrase "it was going down the street and made a left turn".... LOL

Development started more than ten years ago. It's taken that long to get to the point where it can start going mainstream.

Many of these companies are predicting 3-5 years. If that really is the case we are no where near the "infancy" that many including myself think these features are. I just can't see 3 years from now, the driverless car being mainstream, except for in very high end vehicles. And even then it seems like a stretch. For one to be released in the 2020 model year, it would currently need to be under design. Meaning all the issues have been worked out and it's ready for the masses. For instance, I'm a designer in the auto industry and currently I'm working on the interior for the 2020 GM full size SUV.

Forecasts | Driverless car market watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6GrKqOxeU

Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM

432 posts, read 222,487 times
Just saw this article about self-driving buses. There's no question in my mind this technology will go mainstream, the question is when?:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/la...f-driving-bus/

Old 01-03-2019, 05:26 PM

168 posts, read 40,036 times
I think autonomous vehicles are a horrible idea! It's going to create a generation of less skilled drivers, that are too dependent on autonomous technology. Computers are known to glitch. What happens when it glitches and the person in the car doesn't react on time? If snow or ice build up on the radar sensors? That car will become a weapon, killing people. Automakers are wasting their money. People want safe, reliable transportation. With affordable options, and the more high tech these cars become, the higher the price tag, and maintenance cost.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I think autonomous vehicles are a horrible idea! It's going to create a generation of less skilled drivers, that are too dependent on autonomous technology. Computers are known to glitch. What happens when it glitches and the person in the car doesn't react on time? If snow or ice build up on the radar sensors? That car will become a weapon, killing people. Automakers are wasting their money. People want safe, reliable transportation. With affordable options, and the more high tech these cars become, the higher the price tag, and maintenance cost.
The person does not react. The AV protects itself. Glitch will happen but will generally cause nothing more than a safe stop.

Build up on sensor the AV will not run until they are cleared. AVs test all their systems before they will move.

The things will hit the road an order of magnitude safer than a human driver. The device will have very high reliability and very little maintenance cost. Virtually nothing will wear out except perhaps a few of the sensors which have moving parts.

Once underway the statistics will offer vast improvements in safety and fatality rates. As this becomes clear the human driver is likely doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or