Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How safe are driverless vehicles? Will they get safer in the future?
Driverless vehicles are safer than human-driven vehicles 11 18.64%
Driverless vehicles aren't safer than human-driven vehicles 11 18.64%
Driverless vehicles will get safer in the future 25 42.37%
Driverless vehicles won't get safer in the future 4 6.78%
I am undecided 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:39 AM

432 posts, read 343,178 times

Advertisements

Prominent names in the news are Tesla, Google and Uber.

I'm making this a two-parter: where we stand right now and will it get better in the future? There are many articles on the internet about driverless or autonomous vehicles to read up on.

EdX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 02:03 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
They're coming, people, there's no denying it.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:12 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
This isn't really something requiring opinion. The fact is they are far safer than human drivers already given the simple statistics and the tech is still in its infancy.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:14 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
There are no production driverless vehicles. Only prototypes.
Let's see 'em navigate a country road in a snowstorm (like I did the other day) first.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:29 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
This isn't really something requiring opinion. The fact is they are far safer than human drivers already given the simple statistics and the tech is still in its infancy.

Yup. A few million miles of use already and they have proven themselves to be safer overall. And the AI that runs them is learning and only getting safer as we go along.

As for snow, Ford is already working on snow driven cars using accurate maps and centimeter accurate GPS for locational purposes so that they don't even have to see the road lines to know what lane they are in and where to turn.

They arent' perfect yet, but are already as good as or better than most human drivers in pretty much any situation they've found themselves in. And when one AI controlled autonomous car learns a new situation, that information is passed on to all the rest in it's fleet instantly. Something humans can't and don't do.

Do I want to see autonomous vehicles on the roads? For the average person and for commuting, yes.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:16 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Not quite on the topic yet....

Next job to be gone

See, it actually proves my point from this thread. "AV" is good meme will be slowly but steadily created, seeded in minds.
Gutta cavat lapidem non vi, sed saepe cadendo

Old 01-06-2017, 04:51 PM

956 posts, read 510,375 times
I would walk everywhere before I trust my life to a death machine robot. Humans have dignity and are smart. I would never give up manual control of the wheel, gas and brake pedals on a car and I will march on Washington before they take away the ability to manually drive. I am only 32 soon to be 33 years old and I hope this technology fails so badly it takes more than 50 years to get in in mainstream so I will never see the terrifying nightmare of it in my lifetime.

Driverless cars are not safe. Humans are way better. I do not give rats ass what the stats say from the self control freaks promoting this horrific nightmare technology. I have been driving for a whole bunch for almost 18 years and have never gotten in an accident. If i ever made a mistake and got in accidnet that took my life, I would rather it be under my control than under the control of a death machine robot.

Driverless tech belongs on trains and in subways which are actually on a track in a controlled environment and in elevators, not on an open road in an uncontrolled environment with an infinite number of variables. I do not care what technology advances as it will never change my mind ever!!!

Old 01-06-2017, 05:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Driverless cars are not safe. Humans are way better.
You have reaction times measured at an infinitesimally small fraction of one second?

There is clearly some issues with this tech but nothing that will not be overcome. Get used to it, it's already here. This isn't just about cars either, it's everything including your job.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:13 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They are safer than SOME human drivers. Google has a higher accident/mile rate than I do.

Autonomous vehicles will get safer but it's absurd to say they're "far safer than human drivers" today.

Last edited by Haakon; 01-06-2017 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: type

Old 01-06-2017, 06:44 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
They can't even get my Wi Fi to work for a week and a half. If you see a driverless car RUN.
I listen to a call in computer program on the radio each weekend. Nothing but computer problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive