Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:00 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,059,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

The other poster who mentioned forest fires, hurricane, floods, earthquakes, etc. Cool. I havent seen one of any of those personally in quite a while. One common factor in most of those is...you shouldn't drive through them.
Well obviously not if you can avoid them, heck just be several states away; that would be much better... Back to reality, THESE DO HAPPEN. (and I did say forest fires, lets say wildfires, that would be a little more realistic to more people).

The first time someone has a heart attack, a stroke, a gun shot wound... crawls in to their car, says "go to the hospital" before being unconscious or incapacitated and it ends up saving there life, these will be praised, and people will be thanking god. I get it..

Now for those times when other emergencies are going to happen, split decisions are going to need to be made, driving in normal conditions is not possible, road closures and construction happen, etc... how quickly are you expecting all this software to be updated. How detailed are the problems that could happen going to be programmed in, how in-depth will the programming be for unexpected or undesirable conditions???

So up to these points in time, these and other uncontrollable, or undetectable events THAT WILL HAPPEN; these "drivers" will get "rusty" and then be expected to jump right back in when emotions could be heightened, more precise driving could be needed, stress levels could be running extremely high....

I may consider getting one of these when I am unable to drive myself, but I WILL NEVER get one because I would rather be swiping at candies or because I need to update my status (got my food, now in my car)...

Last edited by adriver; 12-17-2016 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 07:44 AM

18,834 posts, read 27,268,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
There will the money jobs be when automation accelerates? Engineering? Robotics? Maintenance?

Of course. All truck drivers that will lose their jobs will get PhDs in robotics and electronics, or engineering, and live much better lives.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:58 AM

Actually, before saying something, or calling people names, one may want to do some research on "post-human". Which above mentioned Mr Kurzveil is also referring to. Or, look at whispered campaign on how "great" it will be to fall in love with AI. Or, move into an artificial mind. It's a movie here, an article there, a book place else. A post here at CD. One needs to take his head out of the sand and take a broad look at the picture and then PATTERN shows itself.
Maybe find a book that speaks about 250 enclaves, where Elite will leave in "practically immortal" artificial "bodies", with "maintenance" people and guards - and the rest of the world will be in sort of war lord kill or die wild stage.
Maybe now that I mentioned it, some of you will actually say - oh, that's why there are so many movies now about enclaves? Do you really think, suddenly there was a demand for exactly that type of propaganda? Or, for example, do you understand, what exactly is all the Lord of the Rings type of brainwashing seeding in minds? Or, Harry Potter?
Easy, easy.
Red lights are run, people are killed, tests fail, he he ha ha opinions pop here and there - yet, it is all getting more and more momentum. Some Brit already said that they successfully transferred human consciousness into a computer.
Easy. Don't mock things you do not know about. That you never heard about it or it appears to be ridiculous to you, does not mean it does not actually exist.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:01 AM

To make it clear, reason I posted it in automotive - truck drivers, beware. It's coming.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:20 AM

4,145 posts, read 3,872,988 times
I am worried my job at the CB radio factory won't last another 10 years until I retire.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,206,030 times
9 million Americans are currently employed in the trucking and logistics industry. Of course some percentage, those involved in fleet maintenence and administration, will keep their jobs, but that is still many millions who will be out of work.

In before "People just need to retrain!" without any reference to occupations which are growing at the same rate that dying occupations are spilling out newly unemployed workers.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,717,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Yep, I'm related to an engineering VP of a major manufacturer and you can expect mass unemployment to hit commercial trucking and busing in 5~7 years. This is the holy grail of cost savings.

Not to get political, but the people promising to bring jobs back to America will not succeed. The jobs that left are never coming back because they no longer exist. Where it took 20 people to do a job, a robot or two now do the exact same work, and they do not call off sick, or steal from the company.

If you think about it, look how far technology has come in only the last few years. There is no reason to believe that menial tasks, like driving a truck or car, or assembling things , can not be done by machines. Even burger flippers are going to be put out of work by automation, and that is happening right now.

I've watched videos of cars being assembled these days, and robots do just about every job and do it better. We have created our own monster, and that is the future.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:22 AM

25,364 posts, read 17,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Yep, I'm related to an engineering VP of a major manufacturer and you can expect mass unemployment to hit commercial trucking and busing in 5~7 years. This is the holy grail of cost savings.
80,000 pound driverless truck doing 55 MPH on a public highway.
Yeah, that'll happen.

The problems of handling the truck at a destination which is not always the same will not be solved soon. If ever.
Going down a highway in one thing; what to do at a destination is another.

There will be driverless trucks, I think. But they will only be used by companies with the special receiving facilities like UPS and FEDEX.

Trucking ran into the same problem with Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) powered trucks. The trucks are available; LNG is much cheaper than diesel; LNG is far cleaner than diesel; LNG stations have been built built and are ready, but the trucks are not selling.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,717,808 times
If you told a guy in 1960 that something he would be wearing on his wrist could do what our computers do today, he would have thought you were crazy. But look at where we are in 2016, technology-wise. Even this space age idea by Amazon is getting closer to reality:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.89e134795841

Old 12-17-2016, 12:21 PM

16,568 posts, read 15,139,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not to get political, but the people promising to bring jobs back to America will not succeed. The jobs that left are never coming back because they no longer exist. Where it took 20 people to do a job, a robot or two now do the exact same work, and they do not call off sick, or steal from the company.
You must be under 30 otherwise you'd have known they said exact same things in the 80s. If a certain technology disappears it doesn't have to mean layoffs. Garmin used to be the king of navigation. With the standalone GPS market all but disappearing, they didn't close down. They took their GPS know how and got into the fitness business. No jobs left to "come back."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive