Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:11 PM

844 posts, read 1,441,593 times

Advertisements

I've had an Engine Oil Leak on my 99 Ford Taurus for about a year now...I have to add a half quart of oil EVERY WEEK or my car sputters (rpm shoots up car is hesitant) to make a long story short, I think it has something to do with my engine oil leak.

Do stop Engine Oil Stop Leaks, work? is it a temporary fix, does it end up hurting more then helping, is there differences in brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 01:25 PM

505 posts, read 847,091 times
Where is it leaking from? I'd try a high mileage oil and stay away from any stop leak goop.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Do stop Engine Oil Stop Leaks, work?
No. Replacing bad gaskets and seals work. I doubt your stutters and high RPM has anything to do with leaks but could be fouled plugs from burning oil. I'm guessing your car is not very well maintained since you've had a leak for a year. Are you throwing any codes?

Old 12-20-2016, 01:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Take it to an independent mechanic shop to find out where the leak is coming from.

Could be a transmission leak.

Why guess.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:33 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Sounds more like the transmission slipping than the engine. Regardless, 2 cups of oil a week "shouldnt" cause any problems, unless it needs more than half a quart, and thats all youre putting in it.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:37 PM

3,505 posts, read 762,448 times
do you have puddles of oil where you park ?

Old 12-20-2016, 03:04 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
I've had an Engine Oil Leak on my 99 Ford Taurus for about a year now...I have to add a half quart of oil EVERY WEEK or my car sputters (rpm shoots up car is hesitant) to make a long story short, I think it has something to do with my engine oil leak.

Do stop Engine Oil Stop Leaks, work? is it a temporary fix, does it end up hurting more then helping, is there differences in brands?

TWO issues not related.

And no response from original poster.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:19 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
You have two unrelated issues. Being a half quart low won't affect how your engine performs in this way.

Quote:
I've never used on that worked. And I used most of them when I was young and didn't know any better.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:27 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,933 times
Valve cover gaskets are common, as are oil pans. Not so common were cam synchronizers leaking, and front crank/rear main seals. You would get an oil burning smell with either the oil pan or valve cover. Rpm shooting up that's transmission. Rpms dropping that's engine related. AX4 trannys Ive seen a few bad radiators where trans fluid would become contaminated with coolant and wreck every clutch inside the trans.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:

I doubt the RPM jump has anything to do with the oil leaks.

One thing I have found that does work to some extent is Castrol High Mileage oil. It has seal "conditioners" that can soften seals that have got hard over time, and this can *reduce* oil leaking, same with gaskets.

Now if a seal has worn through, or if a gasket is cracked all the way through, you know, Pilgrim, that you will fix that only with a wrench and a new seal or gasket, right?

Given that various additives compete for surface space (detergents vs extreme pressure additives) (this is one reason true race oils are non-detergent) I prefer to buy an oil that has a seal conditioner already in it, how much and what kind having been determined by actual lubrication engineers, rather than my own guesswork.

A PCV system in good working order is a must to keep oil leaks to a minimum. How old is your PCV valve? Are the system's hoses free of cracks, not plugged?

Depending on how many miles you drive, adding a quart every 2 weeks (or a half-quart every week) probably is not increasing your cost per mile much. So long as you keep an eye on oil level, and never loan the car to numbskulls who won't, a car that burns some oil, or leaks some, can still be a perfectly serviceable ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive