U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 04:23 PM

25,848 posts, read 61,434,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
You know you're on the internet with a little website called Google...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Stelvio

It shares a platform with the Giulia sedan right now, and plans are for that platform to be shared by Dodge and Jeep, but not yet (it's an essentially RWD chassis that will be used under larger Dodges and Jeeps, like the replacement for the Charger/challenger/300C). So no, it's not a rebadged Journey or Compass.

In the US, the Stelvio comes with either a 280hp turbo 4 cyl, or a 505hp twin turbo V6 so it's a pretty good performer.
Not in my car
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:25 PM

29,033 posts, read 44,420,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Here in silicon Valley, a lot of different companies are trying to get into the self-driving car business. Yesterday I saw a crappy looking one with a logo I had never heard of. Basically a lidar and a few other pieces of equipment slapped on a 4-door Lincoln sedan. Definitely not as nice-looking as the Waymo vehicles we see every day.
Hmmm... I'll have to keep my eyes out for them! I see the Waymo vehicles every day here, and usually HATE getting stuck behind them. I honestly think they should build in some "keeping up with traffic" sensor, because who the hell actually goes 25mph on our roads? Maybe in a parking lot or some really windy roads, but down Fremont Ave (as one example)? The limit shouldn't be that slow in the first place, and I just want to tear out my hair when Waymo - or anyone - is refusing to go even 26mph.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 AM

5,392 posts, read 9,200,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I see the Waymo vehicles every day here, and usually HATE getting stuck behind them. I honestly think they should build in some "keeping up with traffic" sensor
Some people complain about them but I haven't had any issues being near them on the road. They can't have that type of sensor because that would defeat the purpose of the posted speed limits.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:48 AM

951 posts, read 529,691 times
Quote:
Some people complain about them but I haven't had any issues being near them on the road. They can't have that type of sensor because that would defeat the purpose of the posted speed limits.
I’m on the SF Peninsula too and those cars are too cautious, too slow, and they are an impediment in traffic. I see them from time to time. I steer clear and get away.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Yesterday I saw an early 1970s Jeep Commander ó I think thatís what theyíre called ó over in Redwood City. Like this web pic: https://goo.gl/RNT46k.

A few minutes later I drove by the Ferrari Silicon Valley dealership on El Camino Real, in Redwood City. Iíd never seen that before! (My first time driving through there, in many years)

gMap link here, https://goo.gl/XWpQp7.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Iím on the SF Peninsula too and those cars are too cautious, too slow, and they are an impediment in traffic.
You mean they are an impediment to speeders and drivers who are in a rush.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:10 PM

3,073 posts, read 2,798,475 times
Quote:
Yes, when you drive slower then the rest of traffic flow, you are the hazard, pretty simple.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Drivers should use their rear view mirrors. If there is faster traffic behind coming up on a driver, then that driver needs to move right and allow faster traffic to pass.

Itís the law. Regardless of how fast (or slow) one is driving.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 AM

25,848 posts, read 61,434,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Iím on the SF Peninsula too and those cars are too cautious, too slow, and they are an impediment in traffic. I see them from time to time. I steer clear and get away.
In Michigan we have a contained test track. Part of the track runs out alongside the freeway track but does not go onto the freeway and mix with other cars. This is imperfect testing but allows them to test the autonomous vehicles without risking mixing them in with people actually trying to get somewhere.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Yes, when you drive slower then the rest of traffic flow, you are the hazard, pretty simple.
Then why are the posted speed limits not increased?

Sorry guys, those of you who seem opposed to the idea of self-driving cars. I'm in the opposite camp. If you replace all human drivers with self-driving cars tomorrow, you will instantly reduce the number of traffic accidents, fatalities and injuries from traffic accidents by ten-thousand-fold. I am firmly in support of self-driving vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or