Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 04:06 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Then why are the posted speed limits not increased?

Sorry guys, those of you who seem opposed to the idea of self-driving cars. I'm in the opposite camp. If you replace all human drivers with self-driving cars tomorrow, you will instantly reduce the number of traffic accidents, fatalities and injuries from traffic accidents by ten-thousand-fold. I am firmly in support of self-driving vehicles.
It's not going to the instant transfer to it. I'm not against them, but they should be able to calculate what the flow of traffic is going and adjust itself to stay with everyone else. That's not unreasonable for the near future, but lawyers for self driving cars would have something to say about that.

I plow snow for my company, please tell me how a self driving truck will do my job? For your reference, a plow truck in south lake tahoe, 2 ft of snow fall overnight, my truck needs to plow 10 very different odd shaped strip malls before they open at 8 am, time is money.

If someone has a truck that can do it as fast as I do it now, I'm all for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 PM

603 posts, read 442,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

I plow snow for my company, please tell me how a self driving truck will do my job? For your reference, a plow truck in south lake tahoe, 2 ft of snow fall overnight, my truck needs to plow 10 very different odd shaped strip malls before they open at 8 am, time is money.

If someone has a truck that can do it as fast as I do it now, I'm all for it!

Why do I want to plow snow in a truck ? 30+ years of running strip malls in the south might have something to do with it I’m sure it gets old but it actually sounds like fun to me

Old 02-24-2019, 09:35 PM

2,342 posts, read 1,737,135 times
Today, a VW Golf Cabriolet.

OK, no great shakes but they used to be common. These days I almost never see any. Some used to call them Beach Buckets.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
My interest in self-driving cars is to reduce common traffic accidents. I don't see any reason to replace specialty drivers (like the snow-plowing mentioned above) as these are not the primary contributors to traffic accidents.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:05 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,002 times
I saw that Lamborgini SUV this morning. Sounded amazing as it was next to me, but couldn't ignore the fact that it is obviously a Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) conglomerate car now. Maybe it's the wheel base length, but looked like a show car built on the golf platform. Not saying it didn't look nice, if not totally useless and a bit goofy. Sure did have a nice exhaust note coming out of it as the guy flew by me like I was standing still waiting for the bus to loser-town USA.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:50 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I saw that Lamborgini SUV this morning. Sounded amazing as it was next to me, but couldn't ignore the fact that it is obviously a Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) conglomerate car now. Maybe it's the wheel base length, but looked like a show car built on the golf platform. Not saying it didn't look nice, if not totally useless and a bit goofy. Sure did have a nice exhaust note coming out of it as the guy flew by me like I was standing still waiting for the bus to loser-town USA.
It's built on the same platform that underpins vehicles from the A4 to the A8, Cayenne, and Tourag.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:38 PM

914 posts, read 642,407 times
One that stood out to me, because I just might be able to afford it, is the BRZ Subaru. anyone ever own one? if so, how did you like it? From what I see I really like. and does Toyota have a comparable model?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:09 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,423,253 times
Early to mid 90's Pontiac Grand AM, not a unusual car but this one was like new.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,331 times
I saw a Nissan Figaro on my way home yesterday.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:13 AM

2,342 posts, read 1,737,135 times
Hello from Alaska and the Iditarod Sled Dog Race! I've been (almost) off the grid for the last week.

- Anchorage AK -- saw the ceremonial start, pretty much a downtown parade
- Willow Lake AK -- saw the restart, and the official "GO!" start of the real race
- Rainy Pass AK -- flew in to this Iditarod checkpoint on the frozen Puntilla Lake

While there on the frozen Puntilla Lake, there was this old Model T-like vehicle with metal tracks on its 4 rear wheels (2 rear axles), and skis under its 2 front wheels. It was puttering around on the ice.

That was the most interesting vehicle I've seen in the last week+ that I've been in Alaska.

For some reason I cannot attach my jpeg. Will add that later, maybe I need a better wifi signal than what I have here in Soldotna, on the Kenai Peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive