Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 04:07 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Over time, there have been many different types of fuel/electric hybrids. There have been some that used the combustion motor only for charging the battery or for indirectly driving the vehicle, through the electric motor, but not connected mechanically to the powertrain. Many railroad locomotives operate in that way. An advantage to that type, is that the fuel-burning motor can be tuned for optimal performance at a fixed RPM or for a fairly narrow range of RPMs.
All the mainstream hybrid vehicles on the road are hybrid electric vehicles. Yes, there are a few electric vehicles that have generators (BMW, for example), but those are not mainstream (nor are they hybrid electric vehicles) and not what are being discussed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
there is a type of hybrid that you need to consider over diesel.

The chevy volt and others fall into this category. A hybrid where the engine is only responsible for charging the battery and not for driving the car. This type of hybrid should give you fantastic range as well as great fuel economy.

There is a clear distinction between this type of hybrid and a toyota prius where the gas engine drives the car.
The Chevy Volt is a full Hybrid Electric Vehicle. The engine is not simply responsible for charging the battery. It helps propel the car.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
One word.....Honda....
Do yourself a favor, research any car that you consider on Car and Driver for safety, economy and reliability. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews

Last edited by JanND; 12-25-2016 at 06:24 AM..

Old 12-25-2016, 07:21 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
One word.....Honda....
I agree. Honda.... avoid it at all costs. Especially their eco cars like the Civic.

Consumer Reports Yanks Honda Civic Recommendation on Poor Reliability - WSJ

Old 12-25-2016, 07:26 AM

459 posts, read 619,853 times
I have a Touareg TDi and love it, we did over 800 miles on a tank and I was driving fast enough to be ticketed
However, I rented a Hyundai Accent last week and saw 50mpg on a steady 55mph drive up the coast on a Sunday afternoon. It never went below 38mpg, even rushing back to the airport.
Cheap, 100k warranty, now very well built and nice interior, perfect commuter car.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:11 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
All the mainstream hybrid vehicles on the road are hybrid electric vehicles. Yes, there are a few electric vehicles that have generators (BMW, for example), but those are not mainstream (nor are they hybrid electric vehicles) and not what are being discussed here.
Volts sell over 2000 units a month. It has about the same sales as the Mercedes CLA.
It's mainstream and would perform quite well in this application.

The i3's range extender is a joke. It can only do 40 mph in range extending mode.
Considering it's more expensive than a Bolt with half the range, I expect its sales to dry up and blow away.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-25-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Volts sell over 2000 units a month. It has about the same sales as the Mercedes CLA.
It's mainstream and would perform quite well in this application.

The i3's range extender is a joke. It can only do 40 mph in range extending mode.
Considering it's more expensive than a Bolt with half the range, I expect its sales to dry up and blow away.
The Volt is a Hybrid electric Vehicle... just like the Prius. It's not a range extended electric like the i3.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The Volt is a Hybrid electric Vehicle... just like the Prius. It's not a range extended electric like the i3.
??????

The Chevy Volt | PluginCars.com

Quote:
The Chevy Volt operates entirely as an electric car for its first 53 or so miles after receiving a full charge. It burns no gasoline during those miles, drawing energy from a smaller, lighter lithium ion battery pack containing 18.4 kilowatt-hours of energy. Current from that pack powers two motors (87-kW and 48-kW) that drive the Volt’s front wheels.

After 53 miles, a 1.4-liter gas-powered engine takes over most of the workload, adding an additional 367 miles of total range when the 8.9-gallon gas tank is full.
On a 100 mile commute, a Volt would use a little over a gallon of gas. Approx. 89 mpg.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-25-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Not sure what you're pointing out. Your link supports what I said. The Volt is a hybrid electric vehicle. It's not simply a range extended electric vehicle.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you're pointing out. Your link supports what I said. The Volt is a hybrid electric vehicle. It's not simply a range extended electric vehicle.
Volts are pure EVs for 53 miles, then the range extender kicks in and provides another 367 miles range.
This is the very definition of a range extended electric vehicle.

Chevrolet Volt: Range-Extended Electric Car Ultimate Guide

Quote:
]At the moment, the Chevy Volt is fairly unique in the plug-in car market, in that it's neither a traditional hybrid vehicle, nor a full battery-electric car. Instead, it uses a 1.4-liter gasoline engine as a generator, keeping the batteries topped-up--while most of the time, drive is handled exclusively by the electric motor.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-25-2016 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive