U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 64,977 times

Advertisements

I found something on the net that should stop the oil leaks. Here is the link to the site. Gold oil leak stop. Supposed to be good stuff. Guaranteed. I also found another product at my local shop called atp or something like that. I will post later about it when I find the empty bottle. Works great for me. If the leak is from the oil pan gasket then nothing will stop it. You have to replace the oil pan gasket. Actually there is something that will stop it temporarily from Permatex. Here is the link for the Gold product:
Gold Eagle - NO-LEAK

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...eak_Repair.htm

http://www.permatex.com/documents/PX...aynSeal.SS.pdf

Hope this helps. The permatex spray stops the leak from the outside of the pan. It might work if you can find the exact spot where its leaking from. Good luck and hope it works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 AM

5,646 posts, read 6,681,133 times
A lot of oil leaks on older cars are caused by seals that harden because of age and heat. If that is the case with your car a chemical designed to soften the seal to stop the leak may work. Read the can. Other stop leak products work by making the oil thicker. The problem there is a cold fuel injected runs at a speed that requires a relatively thin oil to get lubrication where needed/when needed. That could be a short term, warm weather, solution.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:23 AM

3,542 posts, read 9,013,612 times
Unhappy Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My 1991 is springing leaks like a geyser in Yellowstone. Everytime I get one oil leak sealed another one starts. Would Oil Treatment or Stop Leak help any?

That's like puting a bandaid on a broken leg. those are just temperary fixes. the best thing to fix the problem you need to replace the gasket for a permenent fix. you only get leaks when you have an old gasket. they rot over time.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM

14,029 posts, read 25,855,451 times
I'm going to go against the trend and say... sometimes it does work.

I have a 1972 Plymouth Valiant that I've owned since my College Days.

About 7 years ago, I noticed the Power Steering Fluid Pump was leaking and I was having to top off the pump regularly.

On a lark, I added a few ounces of stop leak to the pump reservoir and I have not had to add a single drop of fluid since 2001...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 86,680 times
I just bought a 2004 buick century with 75k. It has the 3.1 motor. I bought it in florida then drove it back to michigan. the car runs great i got 35mpg but now has a small oil leak. I noticed before i left the oil dip stick was about 1/4 of an inch over the full mark. My thought is the dealer new it was leaking and put in some oil stop leak. What can you advise on this matter

Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 86,680 times
Default 2004 buick century

[quote=mccutl1;7419063]I just bought a 2004 buick century with 75k. It has the 3.1 motor. I bought it in florida then drove it back to michigan. the car runs great i got 35mpg but now has a small oil leak. I noticed before i left the oil dip stick was about 1/4 of an inch over the full mark. My thought is the dealer new it was leaking and put in some oil stop leak. What can you advise on this matter

Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 AM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutl1 View Post
I just bought a 2004 buick century with 75k. It has the 3.1 motor. I bought it in florida then drove it back to michigan. the car runs great i got 35mpg but now has a small oil leak. I noticed before i left the oil dip stick was about 1/4 of an inch over the full mark. My thought is the dealer new it was leaking and put in some oil stop leak. What can you advise on this matter
I would advise that you keep the oil topped off.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 AM

4,214 posts, read 11,877,433 times
No oil treatment or stop leak will not work. I know. When I was 17 I thought it would keep my engine from leaking oil. Didn't work.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 PM

42,284 posts, read 46,085,939 times
I used some kind of treatment on my old jeep that I kept at my hunting lease. It stopped the leaks very well and i never had to add oil even after leaving it for months. Never had to add again between changes.I think it just depends on if the seals are dry and old or worse.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 PM

14,029 posts, read 25,855,451 times
Stop leak worked great in the power steering pump of my 1971 Plymouth Valiant... 4 more years and not a drop leaked

Additives swell the rubber seals... the trick is to have enough of the seal intact so that when it swells contact is made.

No luck with a seal missing a chunk or a shaft that rotates too much out of round.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-26-2014 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive