Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EPS vs HPS -which is better
EPS 16 38.10%
HPS 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
EPS is fine for the appliances most people drive.
Most good cars use HPS, but if you've never driven a sporting car with Armstrong power steering, you should.
You will feel EVERYTHING.
hmm I've driven Toyota van with non powered recirculating-ball steering and it's actually fairly light once the vehicle starts to crawl. But that's probably due to the lower friction of that system compared to rack & pinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:50 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I personally prefer the feel or a sporty hydraulic setup

Not all hydraulic setups are the same. Within a specific model year gap, there were numerous changes to the racks Torsion Rod, and spool valve that really change the feel and assist level of racks on certain models. There's enough of a difference that changing from one rack to another's is a HUGE difference in road feel and performance and desirable for sporty feel.

Electric steering is a totally different animal. I've driven it, and it's like driving a forklift. No real feel or road input. IIRC, infiniti recently switched back to a hydraulic rack from the G37 in it's Q50 sport to get back the road feel a lot of driver's complained was lost in a full electric system

Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I personally prefer the feel or a sporty hydraulic setup

Not all hydraulic setups are the same. Within a specific model year gap, there were numerous changes to the racks Torsion Rod, and spool valve that really change the feel and assist level of racks on certain models. There's enough of a difference that changing from one rack to another's is a HUGE difference in road feel and performance and desirable for sporty feel.

Electric steering is a totally different animal. I've driven it, and it's like driving a forklift. No real feel or road input. IIRC, infiniti recently switched back to a hydraulic rack from the G37 in it's Q50 sport to get back the road feel a lot of driver's complained was lost in a full electric system
the discussion is EPS (electrically assisted) vs HPS. THe DAS from infiniti is a completely different system and i agree is overly complex and unnessary.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:01 AM

421 posts, read 544,489 times
My three Toyota's have hydraulic assisted steering, and boy are then numb. I came across TTAC article that mentioned "on center dead spot" to identify my biggest gripe with them: any pressure on the wheel makes them turn. Overboosted, but with no dead spot in center it makes looking away for a second a bit iffy.

Not sure how EPS could be worse. Guess I'll find out in a few years.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:10 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
EPS is the present and the future. R&D will go into EPS to enhance the feel and drive. No going back.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
My three Toyota's have hydraulic assisted steering, and boy are then numb. I came across TTAC article that mentioned "on center dead spot" to identify my biggest gripe with them: any pressure on the wheel makes them turn. Overboosted, but with no dead spot in center it makes looking away for a second a bit iffy.

Not sure how EPS could be worse. Guess I'll find out in a few years.
Yup one of the biggest advantage of EPS is that surface imperfections have absolutely no effect on the direction of the wheels.

Try EPS out, it's surprisingly very different to hydraulic.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
I was raised on no power steering at all. They didn't have power steering on tractors or 2 ton trucks back then but then again, cars were few that power steering. My first car with power steering was a 60 Chevrolet Impala convertible 348. Smooth steering by comparison to no power at all. But you still had feedback from the steering wheel about what was happening where the tires met the road. It was a drivers dream. I've had many cars and trucks over the years but the newest have the electric steering and I'm not a fan. There is zero feedback and zero failsafe. There have already been failures of the drive units on the electric steering boxes and the results were not good for the drivers. At least when the hydraulic steering went out, you still had steering, heavy but it was still there. There is no "feel" for the road at all and it's numb at best. It does take some getting accustomed to, at least for me and the wife. Makes me wonder what if your vehicle dies in the middle of an intersection and the battery pukes. So how are you supposed to steer the POS out of the way? Sorry, this is a bad idea from top to bottom. The electrical demands on the current vehicles are incredible with electric everything- drive by wire, windows, doors, fans, HVAC, navigation, communications, ignition, transmission control, etc. They're putting far too much on the electrical system that's at least 60 year old technology. The current 12 volt system has been outdated for decades. Adding electric steering just expands the issue.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 AM

421 posts, read 544,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Yup one of the biggest advantage of EPS is that surface imperfections have absolutely no effect on the direction of the wheels.

Try EPS out, it's surprisingly very different to hydraulic.
Problem is, you have to buy a whole car with it.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I used to hate EPS until I've driven several sporty versions and it's much more superior when computer assisted and programmed with multiple settings. Almost all new sports and sporty cars have different settings and programs to change the characteristics of the steering. It's a lot safer to have EPS for avg folks that don't have quick hands.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
Problem is, you have to buy a whole car with it.
Yeah in general EPS feels safer. It may not seem like so, but if you try both HPS & EPS back to back - EPS allows for a far more relaxed, safe and predicable drive experience. Simply put the car points exactly where you shoot, just like a point n shoot camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive