Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:14 PM

42 posts, read 75,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You mean that anemic 2.3 turbo mustang? That would be why, not producing enough exhaust gas to run 2 larger turbos, if you were to run 2 turbos on that, they would be tiny probably fit in your hand to power it properly, you would have quite a dead spot for sure running 2 turbos on that. From off idle to probably 3-4000rpm... You'd be running 2 exhaust ports per each turbo, that turbo, I'm assuming, used to be driven by 4 exhaust ports...

If you swapped that 4cyl out for a 302/351 and put 2 of those turbos one on each bank you'd probably twist the driveshaft like a pretzel then the unibody would flex until the windshield/rear window cracked...

That's actually nice turbo placement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 04:28 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
I own a Citroen Clio with a 3 cylinder, single turbocharged gasoline engine. I consistently get 50 mpg (5.6l/100km) on highways, 56 mpg on country roads, and 37 mpg in town. Too bad for you guys in the US.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:38 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I own a Citroen Clio with a 3 cylinder, single turbocharged gasoline engine. I consistently get 50 mpg (5.6l/100km) on highways, 56 mpg on country roads, and 37 mpg in town. Too bad for you guys in the US.
Too bad you live in Denmark...

Old 12-27-2016, 04:57 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

Old 12-27-2016, 05:02 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Sorry for the spelling mistake on the title "Why do they insist in twin turbo IF single has proven a better option

Excellent video on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ZODU3XWlg

For just that one car? And RB powered Skyline? The only thing "proven" is that if you are chasing big numbers and tend only to drag race your car, than one big single is the best. However, packaging and newer tech and a lot of choices make it so people building a flexible street car may choose that option too.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Good point, the thing is i've always heard that twins are good for low rpm power and less turbo lag, but from what i red on new turbo technology, with the right turbo you will barely notice any leg. I have a 2015 BMW x1 which has two turbo's and i have a 2016 mercedes c class which has a single turbo, and honestly i could not tell by driving which has one and which has twin turbo.
with well designed systems, it is difficult to tell just from driving which car has a single an which car has dual turbos. the real fun is when you run compound turbos, like the current ford powerstroke engines.

or even more fun, build a small block chevy with a roots style supercharger to get the low end grunt, and add two large turbos to get the high end power. but build that carefully because you can easily build enough power to blow the bottom end out of the engine, or lift the heads off the motor. and heaven forbid you are running nitromethane and an intake hangs open at full song, that motor will be disassembling itself in short order.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
with well designed systems, it is difficult to tell just from driving which car has a single an which car has dual turbos. the real fun is when you run compound turbos, like the current ford powerstroke engines.

or even more fun, build a small block chevy with a roots style supercharger to get the low end grunt, and add two large turbos to get the high end power. but build that carefully because you can easily build enough power to blow the bottom end out of the engine, or lift the heads off the motor. and heaven forbid you are running nitromethane and an intake hangs open at full song, that motor will be disassembling itself in short order.
The bmw 2.0 engine has compound turbo system

The compound configuration makes a lot of sense to me. You use a small turbo the spools up quickly( power at low rpm) , blowing into a larger turbo for high hp at higher revs.
Also, one thing i notice with my 4.6l V-8 is that with that much exhaust gas in one turbine it will spin that sucker like crazy so you have to really regulate the wastegate otherwise you get endless boost

Last edited by survivingearth; 12-27-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 09:41 PM

I ate ****, the bmw engine has one turbo only, BMW calls it TwinPower Turbo but it is only one turbo. for the past year i thought it had two turbos

Old 12-27-2016, 10:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
The bmw 2.0 engine has compound turbo system

The compound configuration makes a lot of sense to me. You use a small turbo the spools up quickly( power at low rpm) , blowing into a larger turbo for high hp at higher revs.
Also, one thing i notice with my 4.6l V-8 is that with that much exhaust gas in one turbine it will spin that sucker like crazy so you have to really regulate the wastegate otherwise you get endless boost
compound turbos can be a lot of fun, however, you must control the boost pressure very carefully, and the larger turbo will blast enough boost to blow out the bottom end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive