Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:21 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times

Advertisements

The reason to say with fossil at 140K miles is because you likely have small leaks. The gunk from the fossil oil is likely to be plugging those leaks. If you switch to synthetic, it's likely to clean the gunk, which is likely to start the leaks flowing. You could try high-mileage synthetic. It's designed to plug the leaks like the gunk does. That's what it means by high-mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
how long do you plan on keeping this car?

5,000 mile dino oil changes are fine, but I prefer 20,000 mile changes on synthetic / w 5000 mile new filter + 1 qt added.

A few of my pre 1990 cars prefer Dino oil, so if they like it better, that is what I feed them. If they show no preference, they get Synthetic, because it offers more 'margin' (higher mileage, can handle high heat MUCH better, better lubricity in case something goes wrong (oil pump / pan / cooler failure)).

Generally it won't matter, but synthetics have the edge if you have a healthy 'keeper'.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:18 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,495 times
Synthetics are superior to conventional oil.

Regular oil works well enough for most cases so long as you are good at getting it changed at the required frequency.

Where regular oil doesn't work as well is on turbo charged engines. Especially smaller turbo-charged engines. Any engine like the VW TDI should be on synthetic.

So if you have a non-turbo car and are good at getting the oil changed on time then go with the cheaper conventional oil.

If you have a turbo then you should look into synthetics, if you have a small turbo engine then you should be running synthetic.

If your bad about getting your oil changed on time, then pay the extra cost and get synthetic. Small price to pay for a little extra protection during extended changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Transplants View Post

Basically oil does not breakdown but gets dirty thus the change needed.
Basically this is incorrect. Oil most certainly oxidizes. Its one of the main reasons you have to change your oil. Its also why synthetics can go longer between changes because they are more stable and resist oxidation at higher temperatures than conventional oil.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:36 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
I get mine for free with my Toyota maintenance package. Synthetic, every 10,000 miles, so every other servicing.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The synthetic oils last longer. That's it.

All oils break down over time. With synthetic you don't have to change as often but you pay more for the oil. It's a trade off.

All regular motor oils now are part synthetic anyway.

And not all synthetic oils are the same. Some get quite passionate about synthetic oil.

6 of 1 or half a dozen and 1.

A good place to read up on all of this is Bob the Oil Guy here;

LINK
Synthetic oil flows a lot quicker in cold temps vs conventional oil. That's why i use mobil 1 synthetic in my old 1997 chevy tahoe with 206,000 miles on the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnagT6wKfmY

Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
2001 Silverado with a Vortex 5.3 litters motor, and 190,000 miles. 5W-30 conventional oil replaced every 3,000 miles, and I just switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30, not because synthetic oil is any better, but because at Walmart it costs $24.00 per gallon (almost a cheap as conventional oil).

I would not worry about oil leaks unless your motor already has oil leaks. New synthetic oils have the same additives to keep the seals from leaking as conventional oils do. But don't believe for a minute that synthetic oils are any better than conventional oils. All depends: Synthetic oils resist temperature extremes better than conventional oils. It means that you may be able to stretch the mileage by a couple of thousand miles if the vehicle is not under warranty. If it is under warranty and the automobile the manufacturer recommend the oil be replaced every 3,000 miles like the 2001 Silverado, it's up to you to use synthetic or not, since a conventional oil is designed to take 3,000 miles of more.

I have used conventional oils in the interior of Alaska for many years, usually 5W-30, and only now that synthetic oils are so cheap I have switched to these. I had a 1987 Civic Si with 265,000 miles, and a 1981 F-150 with about the same mileage. Both ran on conventional oil, at temperatures from -60 (somewhere in the early '90s), to perhaps +86 degrees during the summer. Gave the F-150 to a coworker of mine last year, and he drives it to work each day

Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
I know personally (in my 02 Silverado with a 4.8 v8), that when I use full synthetic over even semi-synthetic, my engine revs smoother, and once warmed up my oil pressure stays a lot more of a solid 60 psi. When I use semi-synthetic my oil will be about 40psi when at idle, and up to 85psi if I give even medium throttle before its fully warmed up. I can notice semi-synthetic losing its quality almost about 4k miles. Full synthetic will go to at least 6k miles while still feeling like its at full quality.

If you DIY, full synthetic (oil, and a better filter) will cost about $5-$10 more than semi-synthetic, and about $10-$15 more than conventional, and last about twice as long. I drive aggressive and the extra mileage between changes along with the noticeable difference is worth it to me. I bought my truck with 90K miles on it 4 years ago, and it has 220K miles on it now, all from personal driving. I plan on driving this truck with this engine AS LONG AS I CAN. As long as I can do it myself, (all I really need extra is a $3 pan), its completely worth it to me. If its a car you don't care about, plan on getting rid of, and don't ever drive it aggressively, then its probably not worth the investment into longevity.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:27 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
I use high mileage synthetic oil in 2 of my vehicles that are over 100K in miles. Use regular synthetic in other 2 low mileage vehicles. Always Mobil 1.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Synthetic oil is superior. If your engine is still in good condition, regardless of miles you will reap the benefits if you switch.

My silverado has in excess of 430,000 miles and I have ran Mobil 1 advanced synthetic and changed the oil and filter at 12,000 to 15,000 mile intervals since the very first oil change. It still runs perfect and smooth.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:24 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,941,977 times
I am using Quaker State full synthetic in my Nissan Cube right now. Normally I always run Pennzoil Platinum but after learning QS is also a SOPUS product from Shell I gave it a shot to save a few bucks. Not liking it so far, the engine in no way runs as smooth as with the Pennzoil full synthetic. The QS oil gets great reviews but I am going back to PP forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive