Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Apparently you support the right to slide around recklessly on public streets, when there's snow and ice. This is akin to gun nuts demanding that everyone has a right to carry assault rifles, wherever they choose.

To those who think their practice of sliding deliberately will make them better drivers, just wait until you cause an accident or are spotted by the police. Then you may not be a driver at all. Hopefully, anyone who plays around like this, thinking it's good sport, will take out only themselves and win a Darwin Award.
I ask for data and get conjecture and fear mongering in return; typical alarmist. Now, apparently i'm an assault rifle carrying slip-n-slide driver who will cause someone (perhaps myself!) to be paralyzed, die or incarcerated for life. Do you read your posts before you submit them? Let us how your screwball endeavors to strip driving licences goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM

676 posts, read 725,329 times
People sliding around corners or going down the street sideways is pretty normal around here. No big deal if they are doing it when no one is around. They should be put to death for having fun though, we can't be having that.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
There are different ways to slide...

Going round a corner too fast, under steady throttle and breaking into a slide can be very dangerous, especially when there's not much run off.

However, deliberately provoking a slide by overpowering the wheels with the throttle is not really a big deal. Just back off the throttle and the car is under control and within the limits of grip, immediately.

Hooning around in this manner is more of an inconsideration than a danger. But that's only *IF* you know what you're doing and you're very experienced.

I love siding around and do it all the time, but I live in the middle of no where. If someone kept sliding around in front of my house, I'd get pi$$ed pretty quick too!

Last edited by Colorado^; 01-10-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I am one of those reckless drivers who likes to slide around icy corners like you described. I try not to do it when other vehicles are coming, but if the streets are relatively empty and if the conditions are right I will often put my vehicle into a small drift or power slide.

I view it as a skill that I am developing which makes me a better driver. It's good to test the limits of your vehicle and to learn how to do things such as recover from a skid. By me being a "reckless" driver I am actually developing skills which someday might allow me to avoid an accident with someone like you.

With that being said, I agree that an empty parking lot would probably be a better place to practice winter driving skills than a busy roadway would be.
The sooner your driver's license is revoked, the better.

If you want to make these kinds of maneuvers, the public streets are NOT the place to be doing it. A private parking lot is not the place to be doing it either. The owner won't be happy when you slide into a parked car, damage fences or dividers, or hit a light post. There are any number of defensive driving schools that have facilities for you to get your jollies.

When you do this on a public street it is OFFENSIVE DRIVING. It is a danger to the public. You can't be sure there is nothing around that corner, or that there isn't a pedestrian you didn't notice.

And it wouldn't matter if you could be sure. It is dangerous and illegal. You are a public menace. Hopefully you will lose your license before you kill someone.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
your car is not a toy!

--- Mother

Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM

154 posts, read 132,242 times
I have never skidded on purpose on a public road, it was always accidental. But one time I was driving my daughter to a driving class at school, and saw a patch of snow covered parking lot at the far end away from everything, and did a couple of donuts in the snow for her, then I dropped her off at the class. I have said elsewhere on this forum, that I grew up in Somerset county Pa. in the early 60's and have had plenty of experience driving and skidding on snow covered roads.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
There is nothing inherently dangerous in what the OP is describing. It depends on the skills of the driver. With a remotely competent one, there is no issue. Far less dangerous than someone going 20mph under what most traffic would do in similar conditions, and being too self-absorbed to pull over and let other traffic pass.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:39 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,062 times
Ah memories. I never did this with traffic. I would do this late at night to learn the limits of the vehicle I was driving. I drove a RWD as my first car and have learned how all my vehicles behave under snow, ice, rain.

People will always want to have fun whether it is dangerous or not.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:39 PM

154 posts, read 132,242 times
People who are afraid to be on the road, shouldn't be. In a similar situation I rode with a driver who was afraid of big rigs, and would hesitate to pass them. The one time I rode with him he came up behind a truck and held back, afraid to pass, saying "I know he is going to pull out in front of me", sure enough the trucker got tired of waiting and pulled out to pass the other vehicle and the driver I was with was very agitated to see the trucker pull out in front of him.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:23 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You agree that a parking lot is better but yet you continue to do it on public roads, see a problem there?
Ah You just don't understand "special people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive