Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times

Advertisements

How can people say it will flop when the price has not been announced yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 01:39 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
How can people say it will flop when the price has not been announced yet?
I've noticed some people just can't stand to see the Korean brands continue to improve and thrive. It's quite bizarre.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:08 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Same people that denigrated Honda/Toyota.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:19 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You obviously don't know much about automotive design.
Didn't realize I was talking to Ian Callum over here. How about you don't have a clue about what I do and don't know about?
Quote:
Kia has copied them so much that Mercedes has completely changed the styling of their cars several times to differentiate them.
This is, quite possibly, the most idiotic statement I've ever read in the Automotive forum (and I've read a lot of nonsense here, so, wow, good job). Mercedes, one of the established market leaders in the premium segment has spent millions if not billions changing its styling, not once, but multiple times, because of freakin' Kia? And especially because of the laughably bad Amanti that sold about five units total? Are you high? Kia couldn't buy this kind of publicity if it tried...
Quote:
Now go take your uneducated opinion elsewhere.
No, thanks, Mr. Pot. I actually make my living in the auto industry by knowing very well what I'm talking about. You, on the other hand...

Last edited by highlanderfil; 01-13-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Five driving modes? Who repairs that when it malfunctions.
The same people who repair similar systems on any other make. This isn't esoteric technology.
Quote:
An expensive rear wheel drive automobile where there in little market need.
The curious case of the Chevy SS not teaching anyone a lesson, apparently. Is it cool as hell? Sure. But it doesn't know what it's trying to be. Again, I applaud the effort, but I can't help to think it will flop.
Quote:
Why not put all of the engineering and development and manufacturing costs back into the inexpensive sedans/SUV's ? Make them better and more comfortable.
Because the only way you evolve is by taking risks. The Stinger may flop, but maybe it will unearth a feature that the Kia customer will really like and it will make its way over to the Optima. Personally, if Kia wanted to play it safer, it would have done well to just make a faster Optima, but they didn't and I am glad they had the balls to go all out.
Quote:
Dumb management at the highest levels.
Not at all.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:45 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Didn't realize I was talking to Ian Callum over here. How about you don't have a clue about what I do and don't know about?This is, quite possibly, the most idiotic statement I've ever read in the Automotive forum (and I've read a lot of nonsense here, so, wow, good job). Mercedes, one of the established market leaders in the premium segment has spent millions if not billions changing its styling, not once, but multiple times, because of freakin' Kia? And especially because of the laughably bad Amanti that sold about five units total? Are you high? Kia couldn't buy this kind of publicity if it tried...No, thanks, Mr. Pot. I actually make my living in the auto industry by knowing very well what I'm talking about. You, on the other hand...
LOL

This isn't the first time you've polluted the automotive section with your foolish comments.

Your ignorance on the subject is laughable. Rolex is an established market leader for making high end watches. And of course, there's plenty of cheap knock-offs out there that do their best to copy them every year. (You probably own a few of them.) Every year, companies like Rolex, Omega, Breitling... do changes to their design, to make it harder for copy cats to look like the real deal. Mercedes is no different.

PS. If you actually DO make your living in the automotive industry (not that I believe that pathetically vague description btw) you're probably an outstanding reason why most cars today are bland and suck.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
I actually make my living in the auto industry by knowing very well what I'm talking about. You, on the other hand...
Oh you do, do you?

That's interesting.

Quote:
I'm slowly but surely gathering up steam for a return to L.A., but wanted to sound out the job market ahead of making any concrete plans. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what I can hope for. My 20-second career elevator pitch is as follows:

- MBA from a top-15 school on the East Coast, B.A. from a top-20 private liberal arts college in CA
- 6 years work experience pre-MBA (mostly in CPA-type litigation consulting environment) in L.A.
- 5+ years work experience post-MBA (by the time I will be ready to make the move) at a Fortune 100 company (marketing rotational program with experience in product marketing, field sales and strategic forecasting). Lower (but supervisory) management position.

Interested in consumer goods marketing, but, again, I know there aren't a ton of these companies in L.A., so I'm willing to explore pretty much any industry. I've started looking on LinkedIn, but it's tough to find salary info there, so would be good to know what I can count on in terms of $$.

I could potentially ask for a West Coast opportunity at my current company, but those tend to be few and far between. I am not dead set on a move back to L.A., as I'm pretty happy here (so, for example, taking a large pay cut wouldn't make sense), but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least research this.
Now you're ignorant AND a liar.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
LOL

This isn't the first time you've polluted the automotive section with your foolish comments.
Really? Name three others.
Quote:
PS. If you actually DO make your living in the automotive industry (not that I believe that pathetically vague description btw) you're probably an outstanding reason why most cars today are bland and suck.
You have no idea just how wrong you are.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Now you're ignorant AND a liar.
So you've stalked my posts but didn't bother going far enough to learn exactly what
Quote:
- 5+ years work experience post-MBA (by the time I will be ready to make the move) at a Fortune 100 company (marketing rotational program with experience in product marketing, field sales and strategic forecasting). Lower (but supervisory) management position.
means?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Your ignorance on the subject is laughable.
While yours is frightening.
Quote:
Rolex is an established market leader for making high end watches. And of course, there's plenty of cheap knock-offs out there that do their best to copy them every year. (You probably own a few of them.) Every year, companies like Rolex, Omega, Breitling... do changes to their design, to make it harder for copy cats to look like the real deal. Mercedes is no different.
Aw, was your dig at what I own meant to hurt my feewings? Nice try.

While luxury goods companies do care about knockoffs, they don't care nearly as much as you think they do. Furthermore, despite all your wild allegations, Kia is not, in fact, a knockoff company and no, Mercedes really doesn't care if Kia is copying any of their designs - and not just because imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but because Mercedes does not compete with Kia, is not afraid of Kia stealing sales from it and generally prefers to innovate rather than block others from adopting its inventions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive