Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:41 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,707,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Self-driving cars will be one, but the concept of not owning a personal vehicle will also take hold.

I've heard this before but it would really only be practical for people living a certain sort of lifestyle that few people maintain for the entirety of their lives. I have so many things stuffed in my minivan for the use of my kids, for example, that it would not be workable for me to load and unload everything into a temporary use vehicle every time I need to take them somewhere. I would absolutely resist any efforts to force me to ride share, and so would many, many others for many reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 02:45 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,457,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Wouldn't it require quite a bit of intelligence to program the car where to go?
And operational functionality.
When a vehicle is programmed to "think" instead of take digital inputs of If this then do that automatically... I wouldn't see an issue. However a HUGE flaw in this-real world weather conditions. We already have stability control and traction control and ABS which neuters the drivers ability in the snow to correct course when sideways... Not everyone posses the same skills and ability as others...

I'll use my experience with the technology implemented today-but when a pickup truck kicks sideways and doesn't see the road is a banked corner and the truck is rendered to an uncontrolled idle skid, passengers door aiming straight for a telephone pole... I wanted it out I was livid I drove down to the chevy dealer and demanded they disable the stability and traction control or I'd drive it through their showroom facade and park it right on top of the sales managers desk.

Due to federal regulation the dealer nor GM can disable it that's okay. Find someone who can jail break the PCM ABS control module and alter the software that will fix that nonsense then again moved to Florida so kicking it out sideways around corners in snow storms don't exist

I don't trust a vehicle who thinks It can drive better than me. I don't see how a vehicle can safely and reliably be driven autonomously in inclement conditions, rain-hydroplane, snow/ice-sliding, strong wind gusts-pushed across the road like a rag doll. While maintaining lane, and avoiding collision with other cars and even wild life that choose to cross before looking both ways. (You'd think with evolution deer would stop to look both ways but alas they're Darwin's happy little creature)

I don't see it being viable for all. Maybe extremely wealthy, but not for average joe or the elderly living on a fixed income...

Old 01-13-2017, 02:49 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Until they can foolproof a computer without crashing then i will trust a car to drive itself. How long have computers existed?
Your experience with a PC is no comparison to this, dedicated systems are much more robust. There will be redundancy built into them and being able to bring the car to a safe stop under any condition is going to be a huge priority. I would suspect an independent sytem that is has it's own power source dedicated entirely just to stop the car.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:56 PM

28,559 posts, read 18,556,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I've heard this before but it would really only be practical for people living a certain sort of lifestyle that few people maintain for the entirety of their lives. I have so many things stuffed in my minivan for the use of my kids, for example, that it would not be workable for me to load and unload everything into a temporary use vehicle every time I need to take them somewhere. I would absolutely resist any efforts to force me to ride share, and so would many, many others for many reasons.
My post clearly indicated that different people will be doing different things.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

I don't trust a vehicle who thinks It can drive better than me. I don't see how a vehicle can safely and reliably be driven autonomously in inclement conditions, rain-hydroplane, snow/ice-sliding, strong wind gusts-pushed across the road like a rag doll. While maintaining lane, and avoiding collision with other cars and even wild life that choose to cross before looking both ways. (You'd think with evolution deer would stop to look both ways but alas they're Darwin's happy little creature)
Anyway you slice it these cars will be able to handle any situation far better than you. Can you precisely operate four independent brake pedals for each wheel at once?

FYI I've driven perhaps a million miles and absolutely love traction control. I live in an area that is very hilly and it works wonders in the snow.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:57 PM

25,723 posts, read 16,337,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistet78 View Post
Criminalized? Will people have to miss their old days of driving for pleasure? Also, lol at people acting like if cars are such death matchines anyways. Suicide is more common actually than car crashes, also HOW BOUT stick with situational awareness when driving and not to do anything else? Drink, smoke, put make up on, etc. I feel like the next generation of car owners[People born 2004 to present] won't even get the feeling of what is like needing to maintain a car. Robots will probably take care of that. If car enthusiasm keeps going, just remember that without older stuff having evolved, most stuff won't be here anyways today.[Is kind of hard to explain what I mean by this]... Anyhow, they will fail mostly because of our government though. If a car is too slow to even bother noticing say a blind person crossing the street, suing on the auto companies will for sure be taken a to a next level. How bout let's work more on electric car supply first more though? How bout work more instead on fighting cellphone addiction? How bout let's work more on getting drivers to follow some driving laws better? Before making even self-driving a norm, let's work more on the following a little more, ok?
Self driving cars will start out as a luxury item on top of the line cars, trickle down to the rest of us after a few years. After that their safety record will be so much better than humans that insurance companies will make it prohibitive to drive your own cars and freeway travel will probably be AI driven only.

The technology is coming, nothing can stop it.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Someone in this thread or another posed the idea you buy a cabin, that would certainly have potential especially if you were someone that didn't need a vehicle instantly on demand. I would imagine the cost would be much lower.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Then take into account city/urban roads. Pedestrians darting to cross streets. If the car detects this and jams the brakes on, does it get rear ended? What about conditions such as brake wear and suspension wear causing the vehicle to pull left or right during braking inadvertently cross the lane and get into a head on or dive right and sideswipe parked cars?

If it's only programmed to act and not think I see a lot of fail surrounding it.

The processors that would need to be used will rival servers and super computers. $$$
Use of sonar/radar $$$
Maintenance of those systems $$$ (ask someone from the north east who've had fords with PAM system faults or PAM sensors corroding and becoming inoperative. (Parking aid module/back up/front bumper sensors)
Ability to pick up traffic devices through the use of cameras or worse creating a network tied into the grid to send signals to those vehicles transponder $$$ leaving the autonomous cars open to hackers-$$$
^How can it see a stop sign/green light red light yellow light and know when to accelerate slow down stop?^
Computers don't think. They process programmed parameters. If this then I do that. RF interference already is an issue. Now imagine your TPMS system, telematics system/infotainment system, AM/FM radio waves, wireless signals or hard wired signal communication means as high/medium speed CAN/LAN/BUS lines currently employed...

How will it know to maneuver into a corner, then go to NYC and be able to navigate the gridlock?
Google might have implemented an autonomous car. Google also has an incredible budget that average joes don't have access too... The first generation of those cars I will guarantee be crude, comparable to a kid who just got their permit with jabbing the brakes instead of gently applying to slow down or lifting off the gas to coast... Sharp low speed maneuvers won't be smooth, tossing passengers violently left/right when navigating a parking lot with quick steering response.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Anyway you slice it these cars will be able to handle any situation far better than you. Can you precisely operate four independent brake pedals for each wheel at once?

FYI I've driven perhaps a million miles and absolutely love traction control. I live in an area that is very hilly and it works wonders in the snow.
In my stock car I had ways to adjust brake bias funny, they didn't have traction control or ABS though...Used the throttle to steer.

Follow up with my recent post.

I don't like traction control or abs or stability control. Limits my abilities. When you can go 50-70 into a corner in a snow storm with limited visibility, sideways, while looking out for deer, and not hit anything or go into a ditch with an 07 classic crew cab then go to a 14 crew cab which has been neutered by regulation...

Then you can justify disgust from a system designed for inept non-drivers.
I'm not the "average" driver

Old 01-13-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

If it's only programmed to act and not think I see a lot of fail surrounding it.

The processors that would need to be used will rival servers and super computers. $$$
Use of sonar/radar $$$
This tech all uses AI, they "think". It's precisely because of the cost/size of the computer that they have to "think". It would be impossible otherwise.

Watson does not have specific line by line database with the answers to these questions which is illustrated by the fact it can be wrong. It needs to understand the nuances of the human language, analyze it and then arrive at an answer. The same type of tech is being utilized in these cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFR3lOm_xhE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive