Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:24 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times

Advertisements

I've always like bumpy roads. As a kid, the ones that cause that jumping sensation in the stomach were the best.

Still like those, but most of all I'm thinking that any conditions requiring me and other motorists to slow the fawk down are desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 10:38 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Bumps don't bother me unless the road is really bad, like they were in Michigan a few years back. What bothers me is when they resurface a new road, but make no attempt to smooth it where it meets a bridge. Those are more like huge dips in the road. An example is on I-66 west in Arlington-Falls Church, Virginia. Right after the entrance from Washington Blvd, where they put two brand new lanes in, it meets a small bridge. Every time I drive over it, I want the inspector who passed the new road fired. It is a really bad bump in the road. Nobody is doing anything to fix it, so I guess they consider it acceptable.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
This perhaps belongs in the psychology forum or such?

One thing I have noticed about myself the past 5-odd years is this--I absolutely cannot stand any bumps on the road whatsoever, and I don't know if it's a regional thing or if it's me (I live in eastern TX) but it seems like the roads around here are BUMPY. I'm not talking dirt paths, I'm talking "main" roads with plenty of usage and where there seems to ALWAYS be road construction going on. Regardless, man, the roads around here are BUMPY.
I dunno...seems my parents talking about the difference between "old people cars" like Caddies and regular cars driving much smoother in terms of suspension. You know how they just "cruise"...sometimes to the extent you tend to drive faster because you don't have the same road feel as smaller / sportier cars.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:56 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
I live several miles from a paved road and the roads are very bumpy, but I have a Buick, which is extremely smooth and I really don't even notice the bumps. In my truck, however, it is extremely bumpy and you have to go much slower. I only drive the truck if I need it to haul something. If you have the right vehicle, your problem will go away.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:51 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
This perhaps belongs in the psychology forum or such?
I believe you are correct on that.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:35 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Lightbulb Maybe it's not just that you are getting older, but your car/suspension is also getting old and stiff?

Maybe it's not just that you are getting older, but your car/suspension is also getting old and stiff?

There's a reason "old people cars" are known for their soft wallowing suspensions.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:38 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Maybe it's not just that you are getting older, but your car/suspension is also getting old and stiff?

There's a reason "old people cars" are known for their soft wallowing suspensions.
I guess I AM getting older, ha ha. When I was younger I remember expressing a theoretical preference for cars with sporty-tuned suspensions and laughing at old people acting like the ride was so important. Give me a BMW over a Buick, I'd say. I guess I'm the old person now, ha ha.

Don't get me wrong, I do still have occasion to appreciate a car which can corner well, especially when we go on vacation and we are on that one stretch of curvy roads in the mountains, but otherwise as long as I don't have to drive slow in an average curve and the car is decently maneuverable in the parking lot then I'm satisfied. By contrast it is VERY important to me that the ride not feel like I'm riding a horse in a horse-bucking contest in a rodeo. I HATE that.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:43 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Auto manufacturers are fitting cars with ever lower profile tires and stiffer suspensions.

It used to be that a full size car (think 1974 Chevy) - of which none are currently made - would have 15" wheels with 70 series tires. Nowadays a mid size car has 17 or 18" wheels with 50 series tires; 20" wheels are not that uncommon. The car people have forgotten why Dr., Dunlop invented the tire in the first place - to absorb shocks.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:56 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,399 times
When I was young I wondered why people ho could afford sports cars, often bought luxury vehicles. Now that I'm older I completely understand why folks buy luxury vehicles. The smoother, the btter.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:10 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
I feel for you, but I don't throw tantrums when driving on rough roads.

I believe the government has plenty of infrastructure dollars at their exposal, it's just that they don't spend the money properly at all. Most of the money is going to fund the pensions of aging workers rather than repairing potholes, repaving streets, and whatever else that needs fixing.

California's biggest cities are notorious for having horrible streets, and freeway conditions. I'm not just talking about potholes or cracks in the pavement, but uneven roads, bumpy, and even freshly paved streets aren't smooth like they should be. Plus Caltrans seems to use cheap quality asphalt that doesn't last long. Cities like L.A. and San Diego don't maintain their streets, they wait until they're literally considered a hazard and dangerous for the public to drive on, then they come out and finally fix it.

I am sure this is a nationwide issue, but in the bigger cities, it tends to be a serious dilemma that never gets addressed.

Also in CA with our high taxes, we don't see the benefits of our money being spent on infrastructure. Tax for this and tax for that, yet the residents of CA are getting screwed over. The state and cities continue to ask the public for increase taxes, but the people here are smart not to keep giving up their money when they know the state won't fix their roads.

As far as the type of cars go. I'm a young guy, and I have always loved smooth soft riding cars. I can't stand stiff, harsh riding ones. They are stressful to drive for long periods of time.So I understand.

Especially when you live in an area where the streets are in really bad shape. You are actually doing more damage to a cars suspensions, it's body structure, tires and wheels if you own a vehicle that has rubber band tires, stiff springs, and shocks because all that Noise Vibration and Harshness is being transmitted to the body, causing faster wear and tear vs a vehicle that is softly sprung, and uses larger tires.

Town Cars are the best for this, and most newish luxury cars, but you're talking about the flagships from most of all the luxury makes that will give you the complete isolation you are looking for with their long wheelbases, heavier weight, and better build quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive