Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:18 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,860,766 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, OP, how do you respond to turbulence when you are flying? Myself, while I haven't flown commercial in 16 years but otherwise, just take it at least as part of the job.....and more so, one of the things that makes me adventurous.

ALTHOUGH, I stopped doing stage stunts, being the car crash victim by throwing myself around, a number of years ago. Further, while I do it without hesitation, a few weeks at doing scuba back roll entry demonstrations does begin to irk me after a while (hitting the water and then the Clap as the water rushes back in over me). So maybe all our years of being rough and tumble does catch up with us, reminds us.

Getting more back to Earth, I feel the bumps of the dirt driveway, of the repaired roads much more in the F-250 than I do in Forester. Probably not too surprising since the -250 is a lot taller off the ground, at least. Add to that, the truck is designed for one approach to life, the Forester another.

So-o, maybe it is getting older, maybe getting older and the live that has been led, maybe it is just the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 07:49 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,490,853 times
I'm old as dirt!

Bumpy-road mainly bother me, because my junker feels like it is going to disintegrate.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,303,519 times
Yes, it's not the normal "non-smooth" parts of the road which bother me so much (except for "washboard" portions or gravel roads which aren't very smooth), it's where it's halfway smooth and then you hit a pot hole or an expansion joint etc and then BAM!! and it's like a mule kicked you or something. I think it's always bothered me at least a little, but in more recent years it REALLY bothers me.

The other thing I was remembering, that same period when we lived at that place which had a really rutty driveway, we also sometimes borrowed a car from the relatives and this car had very worn shock absorbers which transmitted EVERYTHING to the interior and I mean EVERYTHING. If you hit a bump, even the other people in the car (not just me) would go "good grief" or whatever. You can't complain when someone lets you borrow their car, you're grateful for their generosity, but man that car was BUMPY. After 3 years of all of that, I guess it left me permanently changed.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,216,771 times
Quote:
]I would LOVE one like my mother's Lincoln Town Car which has an air suspension and you don't even notice the bumps even on a washboard road.

The closest modern car to a Townie is a KIA K900. Serious land bargeness, all about ride quality.
No one likes this sort of thing or if they do, they're not buying it. That means you can get a used one for cheap.

Otherwise, buy a full size SUV (a truck, not a CUV) and be happy.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 AM

15,936 posts, read 12,238,409 times
gotta buy a car that does good with absorbing bumps.. from personal experience I can tell you an Impala 2014 and newer, is light years ahead of a Camry at absorbing bumps.. it almost feels like driving on air.. but the bumps don't bother me that much. I'm sure the rich folk have cars that do an even better job than an impala since everyone on here's pulling in $150K+

By me they pea-rock/tar every single asphalt road as preventive maintenance every few years. This keeps them in much better shape than areas which do asphalt patch jobs and use those tar stripes to seal cracks which turns roads into a much more irritating sort of bumpy where an Impala type vehicle is more handy. Worse is when they use the lowball contractor when upgrading interstates and have the done job in asphalt. Interstates should be done in concrete only, especially in colder climates where there's ground freezing/thawing. ALL of the interstate work here in South Dakota in recent years has been done in concrete.. not so in Southern Minnesota. I'm proud of South Dakota for concrete interstates and road pea-rocking.. the roads we have that are paved are in generally excellent shape compared to MN/WI.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:22 AM

3,857 posts, read 3,133,420 times
Just make sure your suspension is in shape, and you have comfort tires. Luxury cars are made for drivers like you, soft suspension is a must. I got over those sports car or low rider suspensions a long time ago. I dont know if it was stepping up to a full size suv, or getting a new suspension and soft tires on my crown vic made me feel this way. potholes suck big time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive