Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times

Advertisements

Most dealers have agreements with several banks and start with a fairly low rate. The dealer marks that rate up and makes a profit from it.

This is why, contrary to popular belief, cash is NOT king. You'll have less negotiating room paying cash than taking their financing.

The only time you'll get a better deal bringing your own financing or paying in full is when buying from a buy-here pay-here lot that usually finance their own deals. They buy junk that costs very little and resells it still as junk so it isn't hard for them to make a profit.

I trade cars every 1-2 years and finance them. It's been a long time since my bank or credit union could even come close to what the dealer offered either through their bank partners or their manufacturer's finance arm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 12:20 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Most dealers have agreements with several banks and start with a fairly low rate. The dealer marks that rate up and makes a profit from it.

This is why, contrary to popular belief, cash is NOT king. You'll have less negotiating room paying cash than taking their financing.

The only time you'll get a better deal bringing your own financing or paying in full is when buying from a buy-here pay-here lot that usually finance their own deals. They buy junk that costs very little and resells it still as junk so it isn't hard for them to make a profit.

I trade cars every 1-2 years and finance them. It's been a long time since my bank or credit union could even come close to what the dealer offered either through their bank partners or their manufacturer's finance arm.
I bought a new car in Sept '16. My credit union gave me 1.79% on a 48 month note. Dealer said he couldn't get that low.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:45 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I bought a new car in Sept '16. My credit union gave me 1.79% on a 48 month note. Dealer said he couldn't get that low.
You got a good deal. Both my credit union and bank can't seem to get out of the 4's. Ally has given me good rates the past few years through dealers.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It mainly depends on who is doing the financing. In some instances, the do have a few point wiggle room, but if they are using a complete 3rd party bank, then they have no wiggle room. It also could be you are getting a special rate such as 1.9% or whatever and this is already the lowest point they can go. If you do not qualify for that special rate, they might come back and say 6%. In this instance, they might have some wiggle room on the interest rate. Maybe they are doing true in-house financing, think buy here pay here places. These type of businesses finance in house and have complete control over the rate. In other words, there are many factors that go into your interest rate.
Hm interesting because I went to a buy here, finance here place and they gave me one rate and said it couldn't be changed. I tend to avoid those places they are usually shady and have less than desirable cars. But on the up side they usually don't report to your credit.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:26 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Was it for the full car or just the hood, fenders, etc?

This is a local shop here in Denver who is a true Authorized 3M dealer. A lot of shops say they are, but really aren't. Reverse look them up on 3Ms website.

Standard Package | Lynx Customs (720) 808-0619

Their standard package is 400 bucks.
The shop you linked also wants $4K for the entire (full) car and that’s after a $1K discount. This is more in line with what I had to pay for my AMG.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:33 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
The shop you linked also wants $4K for the entire (full) car and that’s after a $1K discount. This is more in line with what I had to pay for my AMG.
So, you did a full car wrap? If so, that makes sense then. Of course, if I had an AMG, I probably would splurge for the full car wrap also.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,906 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LLB9CGfLs

Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
I tell them to either remove the add-ons, give them to me for free, or call me when they get the car I want in stock before they add a bunch of stuff.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:23 PM

6,546 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I checked many shops in my area for the cost of the clear bra application, for the entire car, this included 3M and other manufacturers. I actually got a better price going thru the dealership. But much more than $600.
$5-6k? I see cars being clear bra'd at my dealer all the time. I don't understand why people wrap only half the hood. The line is obvious, even the installer agreed with me. These people are buying cars that base model is $70k+. FYI, I saw new C63S convertible last week, white with black rims and black with red seats, it was awesome!

Last edited by wamer27; 01-26-2017 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-26-2017, 08:56 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,799 times
Not a new car but I was shopping for a used MiniVan years back. Found something on a dealers lot and went in to see a sales person for a price (I hate the no sticker thing). He gave me the price and I agreed to it and gave a deposit.

We sat down to do the paperwork (cash sale) and I declined all the extra items like extended warranty, paint protection etc. Then like on cue his phone rings and I hear him say "did anyone tell him", he hangs up and tells me that the vehicle had some repairs and maintenance done to it that cost $1500.

I said thats great looks like this will be a good vehicle for me, he said you will have to pay for the work that was done. I questioned him "in addition to what you already quoted me" He said "yes". I said return my deposit and I will be on my way.

After a debate and many "let me talk to my managers" I got my deposit back. They made me wait over an hour trying to ignore the angry man in the show room.

I will never, I repeat never set foot in any dealership with Atlantic in it's name again.

PS: they still send me mailers like I purchased a vehicle from them and we are 1 big happy automotive family. Yuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive