Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:24 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Years ago I had a remote start installed on my truck. All I had to do was to push one button to start the engine. The range was somewhat an issue but it was good enough. Fast forward to my new 2016 ES350, which like many other new cars, comes with an app to remotely interact with the car on your iphone. To start the car now I have to first get in the phone, launch the app, enter the password, enter the password again (sometimes I have to re verify myself by login in the account), then push start. For some reason, a good 25% of the time fails to connect altogether. Anyway, installing a new remote is out of the question. Too many risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:24 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
The Cadillac has one touch remote start and I love it

Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
My Jeep has remote start from the fob (double tap the button) or via my phone. I only do it from the phone if I'm sitting in a restaurant or walking back from a distance and want a warm car and warm seats when I get there.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
My RAM truck has one button remote start (you have to push twice in rapid succession. The range is amazing. I used to start my truck from the 34th floor of an office building that was across the street from the parking garage. As long as I parked on the top four or five floors and parked on the side of the garage nearest the office building, I could start my truck form the conference room before venturing down, across and up, then viola - warm truck! (and warmed seats).

Now I have hit and miss luck with it. I park a block away, but my office is only on the 2nd floor. Not sure why but even though I always park in the same place, sometimes it starts, sometimes not. I think the battery may be getting low.

the old remote that i just retired had a different problem. The slightest brush of the remote button would make the truck start. If it was in my pocket, it would start repeatedly while I was eating dinner or working. It would run for ten or fifteen minutes, whatever the program allows and shut off, then start again. Sometimes I would carry it, or lay it on my desk with the buttons facing up and out and it would still randomly start despite nothing was touching it (gravity? air pressure changes?). I would come out to find the gas tank significantly drained. I had to turn off remote start until I got new remote key fobs (which the dealer wanted $178 each plus $59 for programming - I found them elsewhere for $65 each (plus $59 to have the dealer program them). Still insane amount of money for two keys, but better than almost $450.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-30-2017 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I don't get it, why would you want to start the engine when your not there?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

Warm it up prior to venturing out into the cold, snowy winter?

My Ford has factory remote start. The range is awesome, and from my office I can start it. When I do, the heat turns on automatically, the heated seats warm up, and the rear defroster comes on. Great when it's 20 degrees out and has been snowing lightly. Saves on sitting in your car shivering waiting to defrost windows.

In the summer, it turns the A/C on, and turns on the cooled seats. No need to get into a car with baking hot leather seats.

Fortunately for me, I have very good range on mine. Otherwise doing it over an app would be an option as well

Old 01-30-2017, 11:22 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
You should get out more.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Sounds like a lousy App to me. My Charger's app doesn't require constant password entries or additional steps to use the remote features, including start.

That said, I generally just use the key fob button for remote start anyway. Odd Lexus does not give you a button on the fob in addition to the app.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:

Whew !

Good one.

Ah . . . . it gets pretty darn cold up here in hill and mountain country and all don't have a heated garage. Nor a heated parking space at work.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Sounds like the app sucks, not the feature. I can use my fingerprint to log in to my car's app, and either start it then or schedule a start for a later time. I can be wherever and do it, no range limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive