Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:04 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,000,915 times

Advertisements

CEL is only related to engine pollution control sensors. Fuel pump is not included. Fuel pump supplies more fuel than engine needs. It recircs and is pressure regulated.
Certain elements in the distributor [not the cap, rotor] are 'sensed' and when they fail, you would get a distributor CEL code.
Check that there are no cracks-splits-leaks-disconnects of all engine plastic/rubber intake hoses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 PM

2,126 posts, read 3,550,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If your mechanic has narrowed it down to either the distributor or the fuel pump and needs more than 30 seconds to take the diagnosis any further, you need to find a new mechanic.
Or maybe somebody should buy this "mechanic" a fuel pressure gauge!

Don in Austin

Old 01-30-2017, 08:17 PM

[quote=d4g4m;47019616]CEL is only related to engine pollution control sensors. Fuel pump is not included.....[quote]

Bad fuel pump = wrong fuel pressure.

Wrong fuel pressure = wrong fuel mixture

Wrong fuel mixture = P0171, (in 4 cyl engine) with check engine light on.

Severely wrong fuel pressure = random multiple misfire, P0300 with check engine light on.

Don in Austin

Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 20,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I don't think the CEL will flash when the fuel pump is going out. At least, it didn't for my rig of a similar vintage.
Can anyone else confirm this? I was banking on it being the fuel pump to be honest... might just go to stealership at this point

Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 PM

12 posts, read 20,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
CEL is only related to engine pollution control sensors. Fuel pump is not included. Fuel pump supplies more fuel than engine needs. It recircs and is pressure regulated.
Certain elements in the distributor [not the cap, rotor] are 'sensed' and when they fail, you would get a distributor CEL code.
Check that there are no cracks-splits-leaks-disconnects of all engine plastic/rubber intake hoses
Interesting thank you! I didn't see this reply before i pressed send on my last post, did not know fuel pump can't queue the CEL.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,659,043 times
Replace the Cap and coil.
Then replace the Mechanic.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,906,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I don't think the CEL will flash when the fuel pump is going out. At least, it didn't for my rig of a similar vintage.
Saying something is impossible is a sure fire way to see it within the next 15 minutes.

But.. Yeah.. It'd be a case for documentation if it happened. Flashing CEL is a misfire condition that's over.. 20% I think.. Likely varies by manufacturer, but basically the flashing is an indication that a cylinder is misfiring badly and continuing to drive risks damage to your cat from unburned fuel.

The part that doesn't make any sense to me on this is that there was 'no code'.. The flashing CEL refutes that pretty much.. There should have been SOMETHING in the P0300-P0308 range.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Replace the Cap and coil.
Then replace the Mechanic.
Why not diagnose the problem before replacing parts?

Lots of people don't like to do that, but i have found it a pretty good approach at my shop.

Don in Austin

Old 01-31-2017, 07:45 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,466,215 times
1st thing you need to do is check the fuel pressure. This should have been done a long time ago.
Have him hook up a fuel pressure gauge inline and go drive it with the fuel gauge visible.
Whats the 1st thing a doctor does when you visit him?.....check your blood pressure.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

The part that doesn't make any sense to me on this is that there was 'no code'.. The flashing CEL refutes that pretty much.. There should have been SOMETHING in the P0300-P0308 range.

Usually, it needs to be a sustained misfire for a code to generate, such as when sitting there idling without any load on the engine.

So flashing CEL, but no code tells me the misfire occurs under load, but clears up when load Is removed, so it's not going to generate a code. But a flashing CEL is universally a pretty severe misfire.

Oh, and CEL can display codes for things other than engine emission devices. Some makes have fuel pump monitors, and there can also be automatic transmission codes that display the CEL.

P0087 is the code for "Fuel Rail/System pressure too low". Not all cars can monitor for this though, so don't assume lack of this code means fuel pressure is ok.

Did mechanic put a fuel pressure guage on the car and check to see what the pressure is?

Misfires are one of 3 things. Fuel, Air, and spark.

You said the ignition components are fairly new. On the fuel side, there's pump, fuel pressure regulator, and clogged injectors that could be the cause. On the air side, how dirty is the filter? Is it clogged?

There's so much more potential troubleshooting that could be done here without even needing to drive the car. What has the mechanic done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive