Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times

Advertisements

i opened up the radio just to have a look inside and was slightly shocked to find a single 1" wide circuit board spanning the width of the back of the radio. Except for the circuit board, it was literally an empty box. no wonder it was so light.

Since I had it opened, I got some epoxy and glued some parts that look like they might break loose upon installation such as the antenna jack and the harness plug. worst case scenario, I can plug the oe radio back in.

install will happen mid feb.

my last bargain radio install was well north of $400 for the amp, sub, head unit and component speakers but that was probably 8-10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 02:20 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,305 times
That's how most audio and video equipment is today. Over the years these standardized unit sizes have been created but the internal parts keep shrinking so most of the box is now empty. What you are buying is basically a tiny mp3 player in a box that fits in a standard dashboard hole.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
i got the harness a few days early and my daughter came home today so I spent 2 hours to install the radio. installation itself was fairly quick, but the radio's trim bezel was slightly too big so I spent about an hour with my dremel to trim the radio (not the dashboard).

the radio has more power than the old radio and there's clearly more bass. As long as the radio doesn't die within the first year I would say it was money well spent.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I agree. The other formats are more portable and therefore more convenient for use in the car, and the sound quality probably meets or exceeds the capability of most car audio systems anyway. But CDs do deliver better sound, so those of us who care about that will be buying CDs until something better comes along.
I still have this thing called a phonograph.
CD's still outsell digital album sales, 50 million to 43.8 million. Vinyl sold 6.2 million.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:16 PM

549 posts, read 722,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
i got the harness a few days early and my daughter came home today so I spent 2 hours to install the radio. installation itself was fairly quick, but the radio's trim bezel was slightly too big so I spent about an hour with my dremel to trim the radio (not the dashboard).

the radio has more power than the old radio and there's clearly more bass. As long as the radio doesn't die within the first year I would say it was money well spent.
Good deal, thanks for the update.

I bought my 16 year old daughter a similar one at Walmart but it had bluetooth. After getting the harness I spent about the same amount of time as you doing the install. She's very happy with her new radio.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Car stereo technology has come a long way.

I recently ditched my factory Ram cd player for an aftermarket Pioneer with no cd port. It has two USBs (one front, one rear), and aux in, and Bluetooth. The radio itself was only about 4" deep and weighed almost nothing. For around $60 total I had it in the truck. All of my audio is lossless audio so the quality is well above average. My cd binder are collecting dust.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:56 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Good stuff. Good for older cars. New car OEM systems are a lot better than in the past. Plus everything is so integrated now in new cars no way you can just pop in a new aftermarket DIN radio

Old 02-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Good stuff. Good for older cars. New car OEM systems are a lot better than in the past. Plus everything is so integrated now in new cars no way you can just pop in a new aftermarket DIN radio

What do you mean? Most aftermarket companies offer up adapters that will allow the radio to still communicate with the car very similarly (if not the same) as a factory head unit.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:08 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

What do you mean? Most aftermarket companies offer up adapters that will allow the radio to still communicate with the car very similarly (if not the same) as a factory head unit.
Most (not all) new cars don't have DIN style radio head units anymore. Can't simply just pull out old unit and put in new one like 15-20 years ago. Certainly none of the cars in our household.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Most (not all) new cars don't have DIN style radio head units anymore. Can't simply just pull out old unit and put in new one like 15-20 years ago. Certainly none of the cars in our household.

Our 2014 Expedition with navigation uses a standard double din unit. You can swap an aftermarket double din unit into it with no installation kit. However, my Ram uses an odd 1.5" DIN size so for it you must use an adapter to shrink the hole to a single din. (Or if you're frisky you can cut the dash to allow fitment of a double din.. but that's another ball of wax).

You can swap any factory radio with an aftermarket if you have the correct install kit and harnesses. It's pretty simple to do actually. Some are slightly more involved (like when I swapped my Audi headunit for an aftermarket) but still very doable.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive