Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 11:59 AM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
That is true, but I could get an entry level Audi or BMW for $3,000 more at the exact same year. That is why I wouldn't consider a Honda Accord.

Now that doesn't mean the Audi or BMW depreciates faster, as that Honda would start at around $30,000 and the Audi or BMW would start at around $34,000.
Just don't forget to factor in repair costs, especially for a specialized car like Tesla.

Also, don't have the attitude that you lost out if you miss a deal. I have found the Universe makes it all work if you let go of trying to steer too much, and will match you with the perfect car at the perfect time.

When I started looking at apartments down the shore, I was crushed when I didn't get an apartment I thought was the apartment of my dreams, 2 blocks from the beach in a nice area. A week later, I was signing a lease for an apartment ON the beach, that was several hundred less a month than the original was

Also, again if you approach with a scarcity mindset and feel you need to rush in with an offer, you do stupid things like I did when I bought my Trans Am. After my test drive, we parked it in front of the dealership, and I was sitting at the sales guy's desk, getting ready for my firm negotiations, when I looked out and saw a teenage girl and her father opening the door and looking at the car...I burst out with "Why is that girl in MY car?!" = end of negotiations

It was worth it, though, because I was truly in love with that car. Sometimes I used to just stand in the parking lot and stare at it in loving amazement when I came out of a store, because the color, a very unique Royal blue, looked particularly, spectacularly, beautiful under sodium vapor lights

If you don't love it that much it's not worth it IMO, so wait until you find "the One", JMO.

P.S. You won't know "the One" until you DRIVE it. If I were you and because you are open to so many cars, I'd stop looking for deals and just start driving some cars. You can go to a dealer like CarMax and test drive many cars. You may find you don't like the way the seat feels in the Audi, or the placement of the controls in the BMW. You might get in one you haven't even considered, and find it's awesomely fun to drive when you're out on the road with it. When I bought my Acura, I went to the dealer (Auto Lenders, a NJ chain that is similar to CarMax with only low mileage cars that were leased) I had a printout of like 10 different cars I wanted to drive from the website. I handed the guy the stock numbersT, and he put a pile of keys on a table and let me go drive them one by one.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-18-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 02:18 PM

926 posts, read 828,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just don't forget to factor in repair costs, especially for a specialized car like Tesla.

Also, don't have the attitude that you lost out if you miss a deal. I have found the Universe makes it all work if you let go of trying to steer too much, and will match you with the perfect car at the perfect time.

When I started looking at apartments down the shore, I was crushed when I didn't get an apartment I thought was the apartment of my dreams, 2 blocks from the beach in a nice area. A week later, I was signing a lease for an apartment ON the beach, that was several hundred less a month than the original was

Also, again if you approach with a scarcity mindset and feel you need to rush in with an offer, you do stupid things like I did when I bought my Trans Am. After my test drive, we parked it in front of the dealership, and I was sitting at the sales guy's desk, getting ready for my firm negotiations, when I looked out and saw a teenage girl and her father opening the door and looking at the car...I burst out with "Why is that girl in MY car?!" = end of negotiations

It was worth it, though, because I was truly in love with that car. Sometimes I used to just stand in the parking lot and stare at it in loving amazement when I came out of a store, because the color, a very unique Royal blue, looked particularly, spectacularly, beautiful under sodium vapor lights

If you don't love it that much it's not worth it IMO, so wait until you find "the One", JMO.

P.S. You won't know "the One" until you DRIVE it. If I were you and because you are open to so many cars, I'd stop looking for deals and just start driving some cars. You can go to a dealer like CarMax and test drive many cars. You may find you don't like the way the seat feels in the Audi, or the placement of the controls in the BMW. You might get in one you haven't even considered, and find it's awesomely fun to drive when you're out on the road with it. When I bought my Acura, I went to the dealer (Auto Lenders, a NJ chain that is similar to CarMax with only low mileage cars that were leased) I had a printout of like 10 different cars I wanted to drive from the website. I handed the guy the stock numbersT, and he put a pile of keys on a table and let me go drive them one by one.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Yeah, I am trying to keep an open eye out for all cars.

I just went to a dealership to test drive some vehicles about an hour from me. Shady looking dealership in a fairly large city outside the capital.
I test drove a variety of vehicles to include;
2014 BMW 528i xDrive M-Sport for $23,000 with 51k miles - I find the 5 series to look plain, though the interior is far from plain. It's a very beautiful car, though BMW and Audi don't have that elegant feel that Mercedes-Benz portrays in their interior. The BMW also has good handling compared to the Mercedes-Benz and Audi though. It feels like a full-size sports car rather than a luxury Mercedes-Benz competitor. The black interior also didn't really feel fitting, though I like it.
2012 Audi A6 3.0T quattro Tiptronic for $24,000 - Kinda old, but I'm sure I can find a newer A6 without TipTronic or a 3.0T for the same price or even less. The A6 was like the exact opposite of the BMW. The Audi had a pretty bad interior but the exterior was absolutely amazing. The interior seemed plain with the exception of the wood trim, and everything felt kind of out of place. It did on the other hand drive very well. That 3.0T will definitely get you places! I like it as well, but not as much as the 5 series.
I'm kinda feeling towards the 5 series a lot. Maybe if I could find one with a tan interior.

On the Audi A4, I found another one that is the exact same, 2015 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Premium like the one at CarMax. I like how tight everything feels in the A4, everything is close together and easily accessible at the same time, it's comforting.

At this point, I'm looking at a 2015 Audi A4 V. 2014 BMW 528i
Both AWD have pretty much the same features.
The only reason i'd choose the Audi is because it's newer. The 2015 528i is pricey at $30,000.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 2014 5 series now that I've been on a test drive with it. At first I didn't like the handling, though after driving it for a while I got accustomed to it, and I was driving like a stereotypical BMW driver. The only complaint I would have about the 5 series is that it's kind of big. I was looking at the 4 series Gran coupe which is at around $32,000 for a 2015. While It does look significantly better than a 3 and 5 series, I was suggested on here to not spend that much for a car. I will also look at more A6's, because as I said earlier, It looks extremely good.
So now I'm looking at;
Audi A4
Audi A6
BMW 5

I'm narrowing down the list to get the best vehicle. I don't really have too much interest in an A4 after driving larger cars that are similar priced, though I will still look at them.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 AM

What is a pre-inspection car check someone recommended on here and how do I go about it? Is it expensive? I'd like to have one done on that beautiful BMW from the shady dealership.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Well never mind then, according to the website someone bought that BMW on the same day I test drove it. Their's a hot market for these cars it seems.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:11 PM

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=167293201

I was looking at this car here in South Carolina and I was wondering if am expecting too much on haggling the price of this car down to 25.5k
That is providing that I do something most buyers won't - paying it completely in cash.

Also, any tips on how to haggle the vehicle? I plan on traveling to SC tonight to see the vehicle. Also, I found the ad only provides 2 photos, does that seem kind of suspicious?

Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:

I was looking at this car here in South Carolina and I was wondering if am expecting too much on haggling the price of this car down to 25.5k
That is providing that I do something most buyers won't - paying it completely in cash.

Also, any tips on how to haggle the vehicle? I plan on traveling to SC tonight to see the vehicle. Also, I found the ad only provides 2 photos, does that seem kind of suspicious?

They probably don't care if you pay cash.
All you can do is make an offer, stand your ground and prepare to walk.
They might tell you to have a nice day. It happens.

When I bought my Miata, we started at $18K and slowly made our way down to $15K... 3 hours later.
By percentage, that's a bigger amount off than you're trying to get, so it's not impossible.
It wasn't a contentious negotiation or anything, although I've had my share of those, too.
Sometimes it just takes awhile.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
I just rode in a 2014 BMW. Personally I thought, for carrying a "BMW" badge plate, it was kinda a POS. I like my wife's Prius more.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:

The kind of dealers you're looking at don't want people who pay cash. They want people who have bad credit where they can make more money off of them. Paying cash is actually a negative when buying cars these days because the internet has made searching, comparing, and purchasing cars very easy and transparent.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:52 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I just rode in a 2014 BMW.
That's real specific.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I just rode in a 2014 BMW. Personally I thought, for carrying a "BMW" badge plate, it was kinda a POS. I like my wife's Prius more.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive