Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 11:24 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,180,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewban View Post
There are plenty of EV drivers I know who don't have garages or dedicated parking spaces for that matter. Depending on your area and the availability of Level 2 or DCFC (fast charge 80% in 30 minutes) you could certainly coexist without it.

Our household has both a Model S and i3 BEV. The i3 is on a lease and going back in about three weeks. While I'm a purist and only want a fully electric vehicle (BEV fully meets my distance needs) plus I have a Model S and Lex to tap for distance-but in i3 circles most people wouldn't consider driving one *without* the REX.
It's his only car. And he's not in California... I doubt the infrastructure is that great in NC.
And who wants to sit around for half an hour charging a car when there are EV options that only require that you not be a purist?
A small amount of gas is a small price to pay to avoid wasting all of that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 02:48 PM

8,619 posts, read 10,996,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I was at Cary Automall today and immediately began drooling over the Audi's. I was wondering which one would be more financially smart?
2014 Audi A4 Premium Plus for $24,000
2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus 2.0T TFSI S-Tronic dual clutch LEASE $329 per month 15k miles per year $2500 down after trade in ($6000) for 36 months
I can see pros and cons of both situations, like I can't sell the 2017 later on. However, the 2017 is always under warranty while I think the 2014 is on its last year. 15,000 miles seems like enough, I drive about 8 miles per day to work, so that is about 2000 miles per year. I also see that by the end of the lease I'll be 27 and probably about the time I'll need a minivan!
8 miles away? I would ride a bike to work. Bank you 24 grand plus ins, gas & maint...you will save 50 or even a 100 grand easily within the decade.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:30 PM

925 posts, read 816,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
8 miles away? I would ride a bike to work. Bank you 24 grand plus ins, gas & maint...you will save 50 or even a 100 grand easily within the decade.
No way that's happening. Off the top of my head I can name 5 reasons.
1. I like driving.
2. I take a freeway, and if I go to either of the 2 alternative routes I am either going through a ghetto or taking a I-95 business highway. It's not necessarily a "ghetto", It's just not a place I am comfortable riding a bike through, and even then It would add on 2 miles.
3. I am not physically fit to ride a bike 16 miles a day.
4. My apartment doesn't have a bike rack.
5. My city has the worst drivers I've ever seen in my entire life.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
So, I looked around in your neck of the woods to see what was out there based on the following criteria...

Champagne taste, beer budget.
Like German cars, especially Audis.
Don't drive much, so, try to keep per mile cost down and not get creamed by depreciation.
Unlikely to be a long term owner.

I picked this.
Used 2007 Audi A6 3.2 with Tiptronic for Sale in Raleigh NC 27604 Triangle Imports
Actually quite nice, assuming everything works.
I looked at the pics for things like various scuffs, rashed wheels, messed up wood, cheap tires, etc. Saw none of that.
It's not bad, though a 2017 lease might be cheaper since the Lease in its entirety is around the $15,000 mark and I wouldn't have to spend any money on maintenance.

That is a nice car though, I like it.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I had a 2013 Volt and the suede and leather interior was vastly superior to the Prius, especially with the dark center stack. And the new one is an improvement on that.

Even the door inserts were suede.

I spent a lot of time in that interior, both on the daily commute and on long trips and it was great. And the toque of the electric motor was addictive.
The one I was in was also a Premium and it had this atrocious white dash thing that looked like it was made of plastic. It was gross.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
It's not bad, though a 2017 lease might be cheaper since the Lease in its entirety is around the $15,000 mark and I wouldn't have to spend any money on maintenance.

That is a nice car though, I like it.
After the $15K you will own the '07 Audi.
When you sell it on you will get a pretty good chunk of the $15K back, since the car is largely depreciated.

Leasing = a $15K car rental.

FYI... although many people focus on it, maintenance are repair are not a major cost of car ownership.
Depreciation always is, by far, because that expense is large, constant and unavoidable.
Other expenses like fuel and insurance are also greater because they're also constant and unavoidable.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...-own/index.htm

Also, don't go to an Audi dealer for maintenance on an out of warranty Audi.
I got the routine stuff on my Euro cars done at a Chevy dealer. Cost? The same as a Chevy.

Last edited by eaton53; 03-02-2017 at 05:33 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 05:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,055,380 times
Quote:
The one I was in was also a Premium and it had this atrocious white dash thing that looked like it was made of plastic. It was gross.

Then you should have tired the dark center stack examples. I didn't much care for the Apple iPod looking white center stack, either, but as you can see from the pictures, mine was a pretty, and high tech looking, dark center stack with the capacitive touch switches. Here's a closer view of what mine was:

which is much better than the one you were in, and I disliked, too:

Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
This thread is still going?

A narcissistic 20-something who only makes $79K borrowing money to buy an entry lux European sedan. In two years, we're going to have yet another "I'm $10K underwater on my car loan and want to buy....." thread.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This thread is still going?

A narcissistic 20-something who only makes $79K borrowing money to buy an entry lux European sedan. In two years, we're going to have yet another "I'm $10K underwater on my car loan and want to buy....." thread.
I want to see if he commits financial suicide!
All he has to do is tell us what he buys and we'll know. It won't take two years.

Why isn't there a popcorn smilie?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:03 AM

127 posts, read 146,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
It's his only car. And he's not in California... I doubt the infrastructure is that great in NC.
And who wants to sit around for half an hour charging a car when there are EV options that only require that you not be a purist?
A small amount of gas is a small price to pay to avoid wasting all of that time.
Not splitting hairs, but you'd probably be surprised if you fired up PlugShare or ChargePoint mobile apps, there are a surprising number of EVSEs (that's what they're called since the "charger" is onboard the vehicle) in non-CARB states. Perhaps not where the OP is but for example there are many in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, South Florida, Atlanta, and probably Raleigh-Durham.

Like anything else in life it's a trade off. Most DCFC are near places of business, shopping centers, libraries, etc so they're either at places people would anyway be going or there are things nearby while you wait. Like I said it's not for everyone but there are plenty of people I know of in EV circles that don't have a dedicated EVSE or parking space for that matter at their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive