Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:21 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Good to know but knowing my son he will never follow up. The notion of "lost value" is totally foreign to him, I am sure.
It cost us $250 and a couple months of irritation. The car sat unrepaired during the haggling process and incurred extra storage charges, which we successfully got the other insurer to pay as well. It's not a quick process, and if your only car is out of commission it may be too troublesome for some to bother with. In our case it was well worth the trouble: we ended up with superior repairs plus a check to cover the diminished value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:58 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Tons of bad advice in here.

You're first party insurer, Geico, won't pay any of this because that's not how the policy works.

Because the other drive is at fault, the other insurer is the one you need to be seeking payment from.

You can deal with them yourself, not advisable, or you can get a Plaintiff's lawyer to do it for you. Be prepared to do some legwork, go to some doctor's appointments etc.

Plaintiff's lawyers are paid on a contingency. In my area pre-litigation is 25% litigation is 33%. Some charge expenses, some don't.

Don't call lawyers who advertise on TV, their job is to get work and farm it to new grads or underpaid paralegals. Find some local Bob & Joe, P.C. at Law type guys with good reputations.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:09 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
OP whatever you do: don't use an ambulance chaser!
If you do decide to use an attorney.. word of mouth is best.
(One of your friends/relatives must know someone.)

Don't use any that solicit you online.. that's just unethical.
(Not that any attorney is looking to do the right thing for their client...lol.)

Old 02-08-2017, 09:25 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
My insurance, State Farm, handled it all and I had no interaction whatsoever with the other parties company other than receiving a big check from them for the damages. My SF agent told me from the beginning not to speak to the other party or her insurance, and to jut let the SF lawyer and agent haggle for me.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Buy a dash and rear view camera. Costs from $60 - 200. I have one in every car.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:10 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
I have a LegalShield membership. If in an accident or get tickets I have access to a law firm. My disclaimer is I market memberships with LegalShield.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:19 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Tons of bad advice in here.

You're first party insurer, Geico, won't pay any of this because that's not how the policy works..
Well, that's how it worked for us. The work started on the car immediately and Geico paid the body shop minus the deductible. The deal is that THEY will go after the other guy's insurance. A sign that they were successful was when my son got a check for his deductible a few months later.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:38 PM

73 posts, read 72,307 times
Im still debating on what to do My husband has legal shield so we might use that. I am a honest person and I dont want to milk any one for injuries, but my back is still sore I just want my medical visits paid,only went to emergency room so far. Also I dont think they can fix that car but i dont know yet. Thanks everyone for posting info Ill let you know

Old 02-10-2017, 01:50 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
Paying the deductible and letting your own insurance handle it is much easier. If you are not at fault, you should get it back. The other person's insurance has no incentive to help you.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:23 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz57 View Post
Im still debating on what to do My husband has legal shield so we might use that. I am a honest person and I dont want to milk any one for injuries, but my back is still sore I just want my medical visits paid,only went to emergency room so far. Also I dont think they can fix that car but i dont know yet. Thanks everyone for posting info Ill let you know
Legal Shield might be good to get out of tickets and some advice, but if you need REAL legal help for this accident I don't think they'll be able to help you much. I would look into a lawyer that deals with accidents and insurance specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive