Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,059,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
That's exactly my point though. The kinds of problems that can arise are so numerous that you need to be aware how expensive it is to fix many of those problems. Some simple ones are a $25 seal that requires the entire engine to be pulled to get access to it, or entire boost side hose systems that leak. Being cognizant that it's potentially a very expensive car to maintain will help OP decide if that risk is worth taking on.
oh yeah, but that goes for the m3 too. With the OPs two choices, I assumed they knew that already. To me this is a lot better of a comparison then what most of em are on here, but I have seen these two cars compared SO MANY TIMES.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 02:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,532,798 times
I was pretty much 75% set on having m3 but there's just this itch about having the B5 S4 in the garage because the price is cheaper and I've seen a lot of better condition S4 for sale. So I thought about grabbing one around market price and work on them. Now I have to look for a M3 that's not been molested or beat up for around market price. I thank all here who offered tips.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:13 PM

13,579 posts, read 9,601,334 times
Consider spending some time on internet forums specializing in each respective model. Regulars on those forums will presumably be partisan advocates, but will also have insider tips. There may even be classified ads in those forums, for pristine (but not the cheapest) examples for sale.

Offering yet another opinion, the E36 deserves its reputation for being engaging to drive aggressively. However, it doesn't have the low/midrange torque that is now associated with a performance car. To some people, this is irksome and unpleasant. To others, it is totally irrelevant. I bought a used E36 M3 some years ago. It still runs on occasion, but mostly I keep it reposing in the garage. It is becoming fragile, and I'd rather keep it functional, by spare use, then to enjoy it enthusiastically.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,532,798 times
The reason I want a E36 M3 because I just want a timeless design and simpler German performance car than newer models that have a lot of electronic issues. Late 90s and early 2000 cars are good value right now because many are not over 15 years old and prices have dropped to affordable rates and parts are still available.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:05 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,829,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
BMW is always the answer for anyone who's driven more than one car of both makes.

I've had two of each. Bought an S4 last year.

To each his/her own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive