Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Like I said, just because you find it easy and can do it doesn't mean everyone can. Some people might try it and end up damaging the vehicle.
Yes anyone can learn the basics. It is good to have information on the internet because otherwise they are likely to do it wrong, or to take it to a quick change place and have a high school drop out with no real training try to do it without looking up how to on the internet, which is worse.

The tools you need for many of the basics are common and cheap. A set of screwdrivers and a socket and ratchet set can be had for about $20 at pretty much any store (even the grocery store has them). Yes, that is a crummy set and may give you trouble, so if you want to do it right, got to sears and spend $40 - $50 for basic tools.

If you really have no idea of even the basics, start by looking up "How to tighten or loosen a screw" then move up to bolts and nuts. "How to jack up a car" is an important one.

Once you have mastered these, then you are ready for "how to change the oil and filter." With most cars, this is an incredibly easy process. The only difficult thing is storing, transporting and disposing of the old oil. Also be careful you do not over tighten the oil pan drain plug when you put it back in. (This is unlikely unless you have air tools, a really long ratchet, or are super strong). If you can follow a recipe in a cookbook, you can certainly change the oil and filter on your car. Operating a dvd player is far more complex and difficult than an oil change.

Everyone should know the basics so you are not helpless in a crises. If you do not at least know how to change a tire, what are you going to do when you get a blow out late at night and your cell phone is dead or out of range? Lay down and die?

If you cannot change a tire, then you should not be driving. If you are going to operate a 2 ton potential death machine, you should have some idea how it works.

If you can change a tire, you can change oil. Actually, changing oil is a lot easier.

If you can change the oil, you can replace brake pads. Things like changing spark plugs and wires - on many cars is just a tiny step more advanced (some cars are very difficult).

First step look up how to loosen or tighten fasteners, what the basic tools look like and what they do. This is easy. Learning to properly jack up a car is very important, especially if you are going to use those stupid jacks that come with cars. (Never jack on a hill or on soft ground, always have a secondary means of supporting the vehicle if the jack fails. Always block the wheels)Then master a tire change. Practice it several times in your driveway. Then when you need it you will already have it down.

Remember the people at the mechanics shops are not always certified mechanics, they work under certified mechanics. Many are not very bright. If they can figure it out, you can too.

If you cannot figure it out, please do not attempt to drive. That may seem unfair, but there are some people who simply should not be driving. Uber or Lyft or bicycling can be a reasonable option (although if the complexity of operating a screwdriver are beyond you, I suggest not riding a bicycle either - Uber or walk).

Learning the basis will also help you understand movies. When the bad guy cuts someones brake lines, why does that matter? When a bullet makes a car explode why? (the answer to that one is because the movie people put dynamite in it and set it off. Cars do not explode like you see int he movies. But it woudl be good to know that to help separate reality form fantasy).

Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 AM

670 posts, read 1,440,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

Personal Satisfaction . . . knowing you have completed a Better Job properly and safely as well as much more efficiently all while saving money.
That's it for me mostly, and I've been doing it for 25 years. I still remember fighting with my first header swap on a 5.0 way back in 94.

And the fact that I just don't trust most people to turn a wrench on what I and my family drive. A quick google search will turn up plenty of mechanic horror stories, and I've encountered some shoddy work along the way. Last weekend I did a full pad / rotor swap on my step-daughter's Accord and the fronts the M5. Sure I got a sore back and a few bloody knuckles, but I know it's done right and saved many $100s.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,044,222 times
This thread has been cleaned up; off-topic posts and personal attacks deleted. The thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Just because some of you have mechanical skills doesn't mean everyone can or should be working on their own cars. I hear a lot of things like you should be doing your own oil changes, brakes, tail lights etc. Everyone doesn't have the skills, space, tools or time to do these jobs themselves. It may be easy for YOU but not easy for someone else.

I wish people would stop with giving the advice of doing DIY on websites and forums.
Desire is the most important...

Skill can be learned and aptitude level varies... start with basics... do you know how to check oil, put air in the tires, wash your car?

In many ways it is much easier today because lots of good information available as in Videos that show step by step...

One of my friends with no aptitude changed the rear window regulator in his car... Dealer wanted $550 for the job... she bought the part online for $40 and took 2 hours plus watching the online videos... she did not have an extra $500 so it was either drive around with Duct Tape of give it a try... she felt great satisfaction and now is empowered thinking how much could she save tackling other things.

The converse is true... if you don't want to do it never will be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.