Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times

Advertisements

Both my car and truck have muffler bearings. They spin at ~100,000 rpm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Won't that contribute to climate change? Letting out warm air when it's cold and letting out cold air when it's warm? ;D

Seriously original poster. There's no need to ever let the air out of your tires.
In reality, there IS reason to let the air out of your tires. When going rock-crawling, it is recommended to "air down" to 12 to 15 PSI all around for better traction. It also helps in mud or sand.
Just be sure you have the capability to increase the pressure to road values before going back on the highway!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times

You guys are so primitive with your "air" and "nitrogen".

I went to Argon and will never look back. Ar atoms have larger radii so they don't leak as easily as nitrogen and the inert nature makes it superior to plain old air in terms of corrosion potential. Also, low coefficient of thermal expansion eliminates the need to check pressures after dramatic atmospheric change.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
In reality, there IS reason to let the air out of your tires. When going rock-crawling, it is recommended to "air down" to 12 to 15 PSI all around for better traction. It also helps in mud or sand.
Just be sure you have the capability to increase the pressure to road values before going back on the highway!
I run 2-3 psi (rear) and 3-4 psi (front) in my dirt bike tires, and can still bang into **** at 65mph. Can also do short stints on the highway at those speeds.

Some guys will even run 0 psi front and rear with the right tire.

Airing up my 4x4 truck takes forever, even with my 100% duty cycle compressor.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Changing air in the tires is more likely to add moist atmosphere adding to the rust agains the rim.
Leave good enough alone.
Much as I would love to sell another air compressor . Handy as they are for tools a such; tire replacing air is ridiculous .

Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I have this idea. If someone invents a doohickey to connect the tires to the A/C system. The cold air in the tires would keep you cool by coming through thee A/C. The warmer air in the cabin can be routed to the tires. It would work similar to the cooling system. That way the air in the tires is always fresh. The air in the passenger area would be... Oh. .. Back to the drawing board.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
This whole thread might be a lot of hot air.

But I will opine with my usual practice.

Change the air seasonally. Use OEM quality new air; stay away from those drive through places. They have been known to snitch your original manufacturer air and fill your tires with local stuff. Be awair.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:24 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
If I had a little more cash to throw around like my neighbor, I'd switch over to llama farts. The combination of noble gases and methane makes for a more dense consistency that puts a better contact patch down. He claims it only comes from the first born male offspring of each litter - but I think he is just pulling my leg and that any old llama will do. The problem is the collection and the shipping from Peru. That stuff is pricey. Me and some of the other guys in my club are trying to get a group buy together to see if we can get a local llama farm going to have our on supply. Look out for my gofundme page.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:36 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
OMG.. I have been chuckling at the responses on this thread!!! Thanks to all for their very helpful insights ...ROFLMBO

I'm in AWE that I survived thru my 50+ years of car ownerships and never gave a thought to adding "tire air change" unless tire bead to rim failed to vehicle maintenance schedule ... I must have been driving with horseshoes around my neck, eh?

Old 02-17-2017, 11:53 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
I had a guy actually tell me this once. I asked him about the air that is exposed to the outside of the tire but he didn't have an answer for that.
Yes, tires pollute the environment, but compared to exhaust gasses and oil leaks, their contribution is small.

As a funny story, years ago the Oregon DOT decided to fill some landslides near the coast with ground up tires instead of rock. They put about a 30' thick layer, with road ballast on top and paved over it. The tires leeched oils and spontaneously combusted, so they had to dig out a flaming road fill. That was one experiment that didn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive